Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.

Go down 
+5
Caracal
widukind
RtasVadumee
Roger
Seeway
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Seeway

Seeway

Country/State : Taiwan

Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. Empty
PostSubject: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 9:34 am

Papo has been renowned for its feline models. But some items in last few years were disappointed especially on the facial painting such as running Cheetah, Lynx and Ocelot, etc. This year, too, the painting and the sculpturing texture of the stalking Lioness are both apparently simplified than before.

The photos below were only shot by mobile phone. The differences would be much clearer if shot by camera. Also, it's strange that the paint colour of this year should be so dark.

I'm just wondering is it because the ever rising manufacturing cost in China or some other reason?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Any comparison with the old Papo lioness may result cruel. Anyway, I agree that the finwish work of the old lioness is better in all regards. Enough noticiable to talk about a quality clevage.
Are both made in China? Papo is diversifying their places of manufacture lately.

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 6:51 pm

This new lioness embodies perfectly what I reproach Papo : bad painting on brilliant scupts.

I have never seen a Papo figure as well painted as this old lioness you posted. I think shops close to my place are just supplied by manufactures doing poor work because Papo figures ALWAYS look way better on pictures on the internet than in shops...

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 7:22 pm

But the specie choice 2020 is the best after years Wink

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 8:06 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:
This new lioness embodies perfectly what I reproach Papo : bad painting on brilliant scupts.

I have never seen a Papo figure as well painted as this old lioness you posted. I think shops close to my place are just supplied by manufactures doing poor work because Papo figures ALWAYS look way better on pictures on the internet than in shops...

The difference of painting between figurines for exposition and figurines sold in shop is rather recent and, fortunatly, only  concerns some models (new spotted hyaena and lioness for exemple) not all of them! :)
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 pm

widukind wrote:
But the specie choice 2020  is the best after years Wink

Right.

Can't wait to get the Cormorant ! Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 am

Ohhh! NOO ! Sad

spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 12:01 pm

I have the same problem with the Papo snow leopard in Athens, the figures that I find since I decided to buy it (from last September) are somehow badly painted. Especially the face. It's not a disaster, but certainly not worth paying 9 euros for it. Sad
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 12:27 pm

spacelab wrote:
I have the same problem with the Papo snow leopard in Athens, the figures that I find since I decided to buy it (from last September) are somehow badly painted. Especially the face.  It's not a disaster, but certainly not worth paying 9 euros for it. Sad

Ahah I also bought several Papo snow leopard because I was never fully satisfied with the face :

Although, I still like it better than the new Schleich one :

With CollectA cubs :

Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 12:35 pm

We are still far from that :

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 12:49 pm

About the snow leopard, it is common in Papo that the first batch of a release is better in paintwork. Big cats and dinosaurs most of the time. Later batches are simpler, to reduce time/money.

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 12:50 pm

My model is the closest in resemblance to the promo pic but the fur pattern is not as good.

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 pm

I agree Karin. On left, 2 first release, on right a more recent one. Spots are at the same place but more little and they are no more lighter inside. The fur is more yellow and uniform without shadow of grey..
Back to top Go down
Seeway

Seeway

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Roger wrote:
Any comparison with the old Papo lioness may result cruel. Anyway, I agree that the finwish work of the old lioness is better in all regards. Enough noticiable to talk about a quality clevage.
Are both made in China? Papo is diversifying their places of manufacture lately.

Hi Roger,

Both of the lionesses have no mark on underside and I didn't keep the tags, either.
The 2019 one I bought online from China so I presume It's made in China.
The old one I bought online from the US long time ago and I'm not sure where was it made.

Last edited by Seeway on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Seeway

Seeway

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 2:24 pm

After seeing some snow leopards of yours, I went to check my one and if you would agree or not, I think the painting of mine is rather more detailed and better. Probably just like Karin said that my one is from the earlier batch. I bought it at the end of its releasing year, not at very early stage.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Very interesting to see all these variations of paintwork Shocked cheers

Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Seeway wrote:
After seeing some snow leopards of yours, I went to check my one and if you would agree or not, I think the painting of mine is rather more detailed and better. Probably just like Karin said that my one is from the earlier batch. I bought it at the end of its releasing year, not at very early stage.

it's a matter of focal distance I think.. :)
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi Caracal.

I was wondering... since you have two very well painted Papo Snow leopards and I am not happy with mine... would you agree to sell me one ?

I also live in France so it won't be difficult for you to send it. And as we say in French : "Ton prix sera le miens !"

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Everything I reproach to Papo summed up in one picture :

It does not even look it is the same figure... One of them looks like a snow leopard, the two others look like NOTHING.

Beyond the fur pattern, the most striking difference is the face, truly expressive on Caracal's figure (left one). That makes me so angry with Papo for botching the painting job on newer figures.

Thank you Caracal for letting me have a TRUE snow leopard cheers
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 6:09 pm

HOLY, HOPPING HAMSTER affraid

Papo ! What are you doing ? Shocked

Are they made in the same country ????

RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 6:15 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
HOLY, HOPPING HAMSTER affraid

Papo ! What are you doing ?  Shocked

Are they made in the same country ????

YES ! All made in People's Republic of China ! All sold in France ! Mad

You may understand why I don't like Papo as much as you now : I just don't get the same products as you guys ! Neutral
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 6:21 pm

Same thing with that Jaguar :

Looks amazing on this photo from the Toy Animal Wiki right ?

Well, those sold in my favourite shops rather look like that :

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 10:35 pm

I don't have this jaguar but the 2007 Schleich instead. Though, I find it a very beautiful figure despite not looking as a jaguar at all. It is disturbing to see the differences. The second version looks a knockoff. Shocked

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptyFri Feb 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Roger wrote:
The second version looks a knockoff. :Shocked:

I ASSURE you Roger that this is what my town's shops are selling. And most of their Papo big cats' painting looks like that.

I also have the 2007 Schleich jaguar. I think the fur pattern is more realistic than on Schleich's newer model (I prefered to buy the black version). However the first Papo jaguar I posted is awesome but may not be in stores anymore...
Back to top Go down
Seeway

Seeway

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 6:12 am

Gee! the paint job looks really different a lot. The neglect of quality control is not good for business ethics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.   Papo is getting not so good as before year by year. Empty

Back to top Go down

Papo is getting not so good as before year by year.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next