Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?

Go down 
+3
widukind
WhiteLightning Wolf
VexVamp
7 posters
AuthorMessage
VexVamp

VexVamp

Country/State : United States

Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? Empty
PostSubject: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 9:34 am

I picked these two figures up from a lot on Ebay, and the seller's photos really did not convey the condition they were in. Besides coming with old glue caked to their undersides (now removed), I believe both of them are severely faded from being left in the sun for a long time. I think the fox is the paint variation that came with the Play Visions Predators 3 piece blister set, which was originally red on the top, so it stands to reason that the same process caused the maned wolf to turn gray over time. That being said, the maned wolf was clearly a different paint variation from the other one I own, just based on the facial markings. I have never seen a red figure turn completely gray like this, so I thought it would be interesting to share it with you guys. They were sent to me with a business card for a model railroad supply company, so that combined with the glue residue makes me think these were possibly attached to a model railroad as part of the scenery, and maybe displayed in a shop window or something similar. They very well could have been there since this set was made back in the 90s, and that would certainly explain the severe fading. Like I said, I'm about 99% sure this color is due to being left in the sun, but there's always the off chance that these are some strange color variation. If anyone has anymore info, please let me know.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://VexCollects.deviantart.com
WhiteLightning Wolf

WhiteLightning Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm

I saw the original listing for these and I'll definitely have to confirm that they are severely sunfaded. It's interesting though that in the original listing the maned wolf still showed some of its original orange/red paint but is completely grey in person.

But...I had a PV Brown Bear once that was completely sunfaded to that same grey color from being left in a terrarium for many years in direct sunlight. Although sunfaded those two are still very cool looking. ^^

Here's how the maned wolf should look:

And the fox (Both from the blister card set)

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2019 8:46 pm

To sad with the color

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyWed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 am

It has the same problem on both sides? I thought it only happened with parts on direct exposure. It is also a mistery for me that the black color is not as damaged once black retains the heat. To be fair, the maned wolf have a pleasant looking effect.

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyWed Dec 04, 2019 1:56 am

Roger wrote:
It has the same problem on both sides? I thought it only happened with parts on direct exposure. It is also a mistery for me that the black color is not as damaged once black retains the heat. To be fair, the maned wolf have a pleasant looking effect.

Yes, there's no red left on the maned wolf at all, but the black is intact. The fox is a little patchier because of the gradient, but it is still pretty much the same color on both sides. And yeah, I think the silvery effect on the maned wolf is pretty cool looking.
Back to top Go down
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyWed Dec 04, 2019 1:57 am

widukind wrote:
To sad with the color

It's a shame to lose the original color, but I think they're both pretty interesting looking for being so faded.
Back to top Go down
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyWed Dec 04, 2019 2:00 am

WhiteLightning Wolf wrote:
I saw the original listing for these and I'll definitely have to confirm that they are severely sunfaded. It's interesting though that in the original listing the maned wolf still showed some of its original orange/red paint but is completely grey in person.

But...I had a PV Brown Bear once that was completely sunfaded to that same grey color from being left in a terrarium for many years in direct sunlight. Although sunfaded those two are still very cool looking. ^^

Thanks for the photos, that helps a lot! And yes, the listing photos for some reason made the maned wolf look much redder than it does in real life. In real life there is not a speck of red on that figure, it is completely gray and black, except for a few rubs where the cream base shows through. I was shocked when I pulled it out of the box, but I do agree that it creates a cool effect. I've never played Pokémon, but I know enough to recognize a Shiny when I see one.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyWed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 am

VexVamp wrote:
widukind wrote:
To sad with the color

It's a shame to lose the original color, but I think they're both pretty interesting looking for being so faded.

That's right :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 11:19 pm

Here's one I recently found...
It's more like your original unfaded one.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 pm

Lovely wolf!

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2021 12:35 am

VexVamp wrote:
WhiteLightning Wolf wrote:

Thanks for the photos, that helps a lot! And yes, the listing photos for some reason made the maned wolf look much redder than it does in real life. In real life there is not a speck of red on that figure, it is completely gray and black, except for a few rubs where the cream base shows through. I was shocked when I pulled it out of the box, but I do agree that it creates a cool effect. I've never played Pokémon, but I know enough to recognize a Shiny when I see one.

That last bit had me dying from laughter.  Laughing Unique finds nonetheless. Interesting how the color faded. Nice catches/rescues!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?   Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation? Empty

Back to top Go down

Play Visions Maned Wolf and Red Fox - Color Fading or Paint Variation?
Page 1 of 1