Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?

Go down 
+7
landrover
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Roger
bmathison1972
SUSANNE
jarda
11 posters
AuthorMessage
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? Empty
PostSubject: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 10:10 pm

I bought in 2019 the new apes Safari toob and I am very happy. When Safari announced Great Lake and South Africa toobs for 2020, these two toobs were immediately on my wishlist. But now I see on TAW the photos taken by Susanne and I am not sure... Some figures are really ugly painted, the worst is probably the zebra and giraffe. These are just like directly taken from the childrens dirty hands, colors were probably not properly dried... Anybody else here with personal experience with these 2020 toobs?

Zebra (no time to dry, v1)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Giraffe (no time to dry, v2)

Lioness (2 black points as eyes are enough!)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Hmm, - I am not sure they look so bad, when you are not that close up scratch
....except the lioness, - that is surely a disaster with those eyes !!!

They surely look a long way better than the previous toobs.

I planned to make a small "presentation" , but some family thing got in the way.
Hopefully the "thing" will pass, and I'll have time one of the next days Very Happy

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 10:36 pm

are the giraffe and zebra textures? Meaning, are the spots and stripes impressed or embossed?

I can say the Great Lakes TOOB figures are very well painted
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Honestly, I find them very good when compared with previous tubes under the same subject. Maybe Safari in these last years is putting very high our expectations.

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 11:00 pm

I made this comparison a couple of days ago, - I really think it is an improvement Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am not sure what "impressed or embossed" means, but the spots and stripes are moulded.
It is like the models have been dipped in paint, and then wiped off, attempting to let the paint only stay in the lower parts , if you understand my bad English ? Embarassed

I think it is fairly ok for such small and relatively cheap models.

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 11:28 pm

I have to say I was also disappointed when I saw Susanne's photos of the South African toob on TAW. I bought last year's Pelagic fish and dolphins toobs and they are very good. Photos of the primates toob also look good.

I can accept the lioness, perhaps it doesn't need a lot of paint, but it is as if something went wrong with the zebra and giraffe. As if they put the paint in the right places (on the stripes and spots), but as Jarda says, it is as if they didn't give it time to dry and the paint got smudged all over the animal. I am curious whether other toobs also have it or whether it is a (hopefully rare) production fault.

By the way, what is the height of the lioness?

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
what is the height of the lioness?

She is 3 cm at the hump of the shoulder . Smile

rogerpgvg wrote:
.....something went wrong with the zebra and giraffe. As if they put the paint in the right places (on the stripes and spots), but as Jarda says, it is as if they didn't give it time to dry and the paint got smudged all over the animal.......

No, that is NOT what happened !
Take a look at the skin of the elephant :
They have given him a thin coat of thin paint, and somehow wiping it off which leaves black in the wrinkels.

Same whith the giraffe and zebra :
But it does not work so well with a contrasting colour. Wink

PS, sorry for the quality of these pictures. My camera does not work, so I have cut out from the small photos on TAI. Rolling Eyes Laughing

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 9:17 am

Interesting. It seems that Safari isn't using the right painting method for the giraffe and zebra. Other animals in the same toob look OK. In particular, the hyena also has spots, but they are painted differently and it looks fine. Thanks for measuring the lioness, it's the right scale for me. Not sure whether it's worth buying the whole toob for, but perhaps I find her alone one day.

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 2:04 am

It looks like they're using a technique called antiquing; I've used it painting sculptures. You apply a thinned down coat of a contrasting paint over an already painted area, and wipe it off before it dries. If done properly, the glaze you just applied and wiped remains in the grooves or recessed areas, but has been totally removed from the rest of the area. It's best to put a protective glaze over the existing paint when you do it, or the antiquing tends to smudge that paint and stick inappropriately. That can also happen when you try to work too large an area, and the antiquing starts to dry before it's wiped off. I think the zebra and giraffe may have dried some before they were wiped, and the plastic probably wasn't sealed beforehand. It's probably rather difficult to do on such small figures. Really high contrast colors doesn't help. Probably not the best technique to use in an assembly line anyhow.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 3:37 am

pipsxlch wrote:
It looks like they're using a technique called antiquing; I've used it painting sculptures. You apply a thinned down coat of a contrasting paint over an already painted area, and wipe it off before it dries. If done properly, the glaze you just applied and wiped remains in the grooves or recessed areas, but has been totally removed from the rest of the area. It's best to put a protective glaze over the existing paint when you do it, or the antiquing tends to smudge that paint and stick inappropriately. That can also happen when you try to work too large an area, and the antiquing starts to dry before it's wiped off. I think the zebra and giraffe may have dried some before they were wiped, and the plastic probably wasn't sealed beforehand. It's probably rather difficult to do on such small figures. Really high contrast colors doesn't help. Probably not the best technique to use in an assembly line anyhow.

Very intereting Kelly.

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 4:12 am

pipsxlch wrote:
That's what I was going to say! I think its a stylized version, probably because (on their facebook page) people often use their toob figures for home DIY projects like mini terrariums and things. I'd bet they are trying to appeal to the people with crafty tendencies.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySat Feb 15, 2020 10:46 am

Grest explanation, Kelly Shocked

Thankyou VERY much ! cheers flower

CWGross

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 6:58 am

This is an old thread, but I did pick up the Great Lakes TOOB and it is fantastic! The figures are very nicely painted and I'm glad to have picked it up.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 9:36 am

CWGross wrote:
This is an old thread, but I did pick up the Great Lakes TOOB and it is fantastic! The figures are very nicely painted and I'm glad to have picked it up.

cheers cheers

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am

I'll also be getting it as it has such amazing figures

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 11:20 am

Both tubes i got last month and i agree with you Jarda. Especially the zebra looks geek

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?   Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality? Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari Ltd toobs 2020 LOW paint quality?
Page 1 of 1