Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eagles : let the revolution commence!

Go down 
+7
Kikimalou
Philter4
SyLoBe
SUSANNE
HKHollinstone
skysthelimit
Sumo
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

Eagles : let the revolution commence! Empty
PostSubject: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Remember my anti-bald eagle rant? Well, I finally did something about it! After getting the Safari Golden eagle (which I feel obliged to keep OF just because it isn't a baldy) I repainted my other two as well.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bullyland to a Steller's sea eagle (Haliaeetus pelagicus). I can't really work up any enthusiasm for this model... it's not bad, it's just not very interesting. Still, it's big and looks, proportionally, bigger than the others, so Steller seems like the logical choice.

After much poring over Raptors of the world (an excellent book, BTW) I decided my Schleich, which had originally been repainted as another Steller, would look great as a white-bellied fish eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster). Looks like an eagle wearing a seagull's clothes, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Excellent work, l like them both but white-bellied is fantastic cheers

HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Wow Sumo, they're awesome! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:05 pm

They are fantastic, Sumo cheers
Let`s hope that some manufacturer sees this Wink

Thankyou for sharing flower
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 11:03 pm

So gorgoeus Sumo! Wonderful painitng job ^^

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyWed May 04, 2011 1:44 am

Very nice repaints, I like the choices of species and hope you do a few more.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyWed May 04, 2011 6:52 am

skysthelimit wrote:
Excellent work, l like them both but white-bellied is fantastic cheers

The same for me Wink It's a very good idea cheers
Back to top Go down
Sumo

Sumo

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:16 pm

New one!
This is a Verreaux eagle - and yes, I am basically leafing through the raptors guidebook and going "ooh, pretty birdy" and painting whatever I like on whichever body resembles it slightly.
Incidentally, the Bullyland eagle confuses me... it just looks so blah both in pictures and in the shop, but still paints up so well. Good thing too, because it's the only one I can get my hands on now the Schleich shop's gone. I did finally cave and ordered the Collecta, though...
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Great idea, great job Cool We need more pics Very Happy

You know some ideas are growing in my mind Wink
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyMon May 09, 2011 11:22 pm

FANTASTIC Sumo!! exclamation

Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:09 am

Great re-paints Sumo!
Really interesting choices in species, i really love the Steller, an awesome bird! cheers

Sumo

PostSubject: More eagles   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptySun May 29, 2011 8:19 pm

What? You didn't think I was done, did you? Wink

The new Schleich is pretty nice, I can't deny it. It's much more detailed and doesn't have the obvious issues of the older version (like the blobby and asymmetrical wing feathers). It's also more gracile, with longer legs and a narrower beak. Really, if it weren't for the crappy metallic paintjob I'd have almost nothing to complain about. Laughing
For my first repaint on this mold, I decided on a species with a very similar pattern to that of the baldy: the african fish eagle (H. vocifer). The white extends further down the neck and the body is a brighter reddish brown with black remiges.

Still stocking up on Bullylands (I did nag the shop about getting more birds in, we'll see). This one had some very bad seams around the head and neck, and of course the thing about Bully plastic is it can't be sanded or even cut neatly. Still, a good opportunity for a moderate remake! I'd wanted a bateleur (Terathopius ecaudatus) for a while, but never really found a mold that fit. The Bullyland isn't an ideal mold for this species, not by a long shot, but at least I got some practice sculpting. In addition to the fluffier head and neck I reshaped the beak, cut a little off the tail, and tried to make the wings narrower (without much success).

And look, a non-plastic! This one's a Warhammer pewter model with a resculpted head (poor thing had a hood on). Beautiful model, but stupidly hard to glue and surprisingly hard to paint - so much texture!
This is supposed to be an osprey (Pandion haliaetus), which I guess isn't really an eagle, but...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptySun May 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Great Sumo! I see you love eagles and so! Is it an eagle the symbol of your favourite team??? Laughing
First congratulations for your repaintings and remakings of new species!
About the Schleich bald eagle I agree the mould is better than the older and also agree with the weird painting, maybe a touch of fantasy to help selling, something usual in Schleich!
Osprey is sometimes called fish eagle but the name eagle do not represent necessarily a taxon, so it is always hard to say what is an eagle or not! See the old world vultures, some are much closer to real eagles than other vultures and some are called eagles and vultures, for example, bearded vulture is sometimes called, bearded eagle! ...and what is a hawk???? ...and the difference between accipitriforms and falconiforms,, it is a long way to study about birds, don't you think???
Keep enjoying your nice work and new figures! cheers
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptySun May 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Nicely done, great repaints again.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptySun May 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Excellent cheers Very Happy

Sumo

Sumo

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptySun May 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Roger wrote:
Great Sumo! I see you love eagles and so! Is it an eagle the symbol of your favourite team??? Laughing

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA.... uh, that is to say, no. *gigglesnort* Just the idea of me having a favorite team... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptySun May 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Sumo wrote:
Roger wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA.... uh, that is to say, no. *gigglesnort* Just the idea of me having a favorite team... Laughing

Here in Portugal in local shops people is only buying the Schleich eagle because half the people is supporter of a team represented by an eagle! ...so you are from Finnish Air Force, surely!!!??? Wink
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:23 am

Great customs again Sumo cheers
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:39 am

Sumo these are magnificent, I LOVE the Osprey!!! cheers cheers is there a special gloss for models you buy to get their eyes like that? I've said it loads of times but they look so real!

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyMon May 30, 2011 12:28 pm

They are fabulous, Sumo cheers

I love all three, but the Bateleur is perhaps my favourite, it has got such an eagly look in the face !

Yes, Shleich makes models for selling, Roger, that is their job Wink
And they DID try to make other birds of prey once, at least they are a success with the collectors Rolling Eyes

I hope CollectA will make some more birds, they are so good at it, - and I hope that if they do, somebody will sell them Suspect

Sumo, I can`t wait to see how you eagle-project proceeds, you get better and better, you are already so good, what can`t you make with even more practice sunny
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Joe

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyMon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Thay are all very nice, I really like the one you painted as an osprey.

Keep up the great work , I look forward to seeing more of youe work.

Joe
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 31, 2011 1:08 am

I think you did a great job Sumo, it is not easy to re-model and re-paint birds... Rolling Eyes
Go for it! cheers

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 31, 2011 5:00 pm

They look awesome. You did such a great job on them. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! EmptyTue May 31, 2011 10:57 pm

They look so gorgeus!

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eagles : let the revolution commence!   Eagles : let the revolution commence! Empty

Back to top Go down

Eagles : let the revolution commence!
Page 1 of 1