Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mystery Composition Beaver

Go down 
+3
SUSANNE
Taos
Tiermann
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver Empty
PostSubject: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptySun May 31, 2020 9:32 pm

Hello, I just got this excellent condition composition beaver from eBay. At the bottom I show it with the Elastolin one. I have looked up Lineol but all I see from them online is one with the head up more and no branch. Is it a later Elastolin? Tipple-Topple or some other less known maker? It is a great looking model, very much looking like a North American beaver such as Maple YouTube Video Link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for any help :)
Tim

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptySun May 31, 2020 9:49 pm

Wonderful model!!

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyMon Jun 01, 2020 8:25 am

It is a fantastic model !!!
What a great find cheers

All I can say is that it is not Elastolin or Tipple-topple scratch
Actually I would say it is not one of the German brands....

Very, very exiting bounce Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyTue Jun 02, 2020 6:20 pm

A beauty, but i can not help

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
castlerigg

castlerigg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 12:29 pm

For a couple of years before they switched their Elastolin animal production from composition to a smaller-scale plastic, Hausser made a few experimental lines, using new moulds. They were made to the old composition scale, but cast in hard plastic. Soon after, they opted for smaller-scale plastic animal production, and these larger beasts were no longer produced.

A few boxes of them were lying around in the factory storerooms when a friend of ours visited Hausser to do some research in the early 1970s. He was given several, and passed a pair of Beavers and a pair of Shetland Ponies on to us.

Our Beaver, shown below with the Elastolin composition version, is hard plastic. If your Beaver is composition, it looks as though Hausser tried out both materials in the new moulds.

So your Beaver is definitely from a Hausser Elastolin mould, dating from around 1960.

Sue & Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 12:43 pm

So this is a REAL, 5 star rarity cheers

Hurraaayy, what would we do without S&L ? cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 1:25 pm

That's then a model that only the most efficient detective could find what it was. If it wasn't S&L, we'd probably never find it. Thanks also Susanne for linking this topic to our ultra-expert ladies!
So, this beaver, more than a collector's figure, it is a Museum piece! cheers

castlerigg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Thank you, Susanne and Roger!

We do not know how many models from this mould might have been made or sold, there could be many of them about!

Sue & Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 7:33 pm

castlerigg wrote:
For a couple of years before they switched their Elastolin animal production from composition to a smaller-scale plastic, Hausser made a few experimental lines, using new moulds. They were made to the old composition scale, but cast in hard plastic. Soon after, they opted for smaller-scale plastic animal production, and these larger beasts were no longer produced.

A few boxes of them were lying around in the factory storerooms when a friend of ours visited Hausser to do some research in the early 1970s. He was given several, and passed a pair of Beavers and a pair of Shetland Ponies on to us.

Our Beaver, shown below with the Elastolin composition version, is hard plastic. If your Beaver is composition, it looks as though Hausser tried out both materials in the new moulds.

So your Beaver is definitely from a Hausser Elastolin mould, dating from around 1960.

Sue & Lesley
castlerigg

study study cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 10:11 pm

It looks and feels like composition, but... I will perform a scratch test on the base tonight and find out for sure. Thank you so much Sue and Lesley for this info.

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyWed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 pm

Congratulations Sue and Lesley. The mystery is solved

Valuable information of those models study study study study

Tiermann

Tiermann

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyThu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm

Having examined the beaver closely and done a scratch test on the bottom, I think it is indeed plastic like the one owned by Sue and Lesley. It looks in style and paint as if it is composition, and is perhaps very slightly lighter in weight, but it scratches in a way that is like a plastic item. I stand most corrected on the material. I have a composition style plastic beaver in my collection now.
Thanks to all for you help!

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver EmptyThu Jun 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Tiermann wrote:
Having examined the beaver closely and done a scratch test on the bottom, I think it is indeed plastic like the one owned by Sue and Lesley. It looks in style and paint as if it is composition, and is perhaps very slightly lighter in weight, but it scratches in a way that is like a plastic item. I stand most corrected on the material. I have a composition style plastic beaver in my collection now.
Thanks to all for you help!

A composition style plastic beaver cheers Laughing Applause Applause

This topic has indeed turned out as exiting as any Agatha Christie novel Very Happy Applause

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Composition Beaver   beaver - Mystery Composition Beaver Empty

Back to top Go down

Mystery Composition Beaver
Page 1 of 1