Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

London's Zoo Photography!

Go down 
+8
costicuba
Advicot
SUSANNE
RtasVadumee
widukind
Pardofelis
Roger
endogenylove
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

London's Zoo Photography! Empty
PostSubject: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm

Hello! I've decided to start a topic to document my improvement in animal photography in zoos. I'm starting from the beginning and hopefully as this topic goes on my photos will get better :) The first photos I'd like to share come from the Oglebay Good Zoo in West Virginia. Feel free to ask any questions!

Meerkat (Suricata suricatta) perched in a window to observe it's surroundings
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A scarlet Macaw (Ara macao) hanging out on it's perch.

A Golden Lion Tamarin (Leontopithicus rosalia) stops it's playing for a moment to stare right at me.

A beautiful Gouldian Finch (Erythrura gouldiae) showing off his plumage.

A huge Burmese Python (Python bivittatus) coiled up in it's enclosure.

A playful Cotton-Top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) showing a stark color contrast from it's golden relative.

A Grevy's Zebra (Equus grevyi) and a Common Ostrich (Struthio camelus) sharing a mixed-species habitat.

A cheetah (Acionyx jubatus) shows off it's spots.

A laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) on a perch formerly meant for rainbow lorikeets.

A Red-necked Wallaby (Macropus rufogriseus) looking particularly photogenic.

An emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae) has figured out that it can lay beside it's food bowl and not have to move to eat.

A Red Wolf (Canis rufus) lounges in the shade.

A beautiful White-Naped Crane (Grus vipio) stands in it's quiet lake.

Two images of a beautiful male Indian Peacock (Pavo cristalus) surveying his hens, kept in a mixed species exhibit with the next animal in this series.

The most exciting species to me at this zoo, and one I have seen in only one other park, the Central Chinese Goral (Naemorhedus griseus)! Unfortunately as rather shy animals they are difficult to photograph but I tried my hardest.

A bobcat (Lynx rufus) makes a speedy getaway.

A Snow Leopard (Panthera uncia) hides out in it's cave to avoid the heat.

An Alpaca (Vicugna pacos) keeps it's head down.

A miniature donkey (Equus asinus) shows me it's adorable face.

And that is all for the Oglebay Good Zoo! This topic will likely be updated very sporadically, so just stay tuned.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 am

Very beautiful pictures and animals. I think the tamarin is trying to see if you are dangerous or not. monkey There's a better section to put this topic, I will move it later. Very Happy

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 4:58 am

Okay! Go ahead and move it, I wasn’t quite sure where it belonged.

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 am

Nice pics! But there is a thing I don't understand: why the topic is titled London's zoo photography, but the images are from Oglebay zoo?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 9:15 am

Nice pictures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 9:33 am

Same question as Isidro, I don't understand the title scratch

I thought the pics were from London zoo, then I saw the red wolf and figured out it was definitely not in London zoo !

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 9:53 am

Wonderful pictures of wonderfyl animals cheers
You must have had such a great day there Very Happy

Hmmm... if I were the zoo keeper , I would keep an eye on the Gouldian Finches. That one does not look quite healthy scratch

But the others look fantastic Very Happy
I it great that you mix extremely rare animals with more common ones, - even a donkey, - and enjoy the comments Wink

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 11:53 am

Isidro and Ben I believe Endogenylove's name is London, so it's her photos and not animals that can be found at the London zoo, as most of these species don't reside in Regent's Park.

Lovely array of species and nice photos too :)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Ooopsss. Thanks Adam, I was unaware of London being a proper person name! Sorry for the confusion Embarassed

Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Sorry for the confusion! Yes, my name is London. If it’s too confusing I could change the title name to having my username instead.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 pm

London, as it is a topic about your photographic skills and not exactly about a certain Zoo, I will keep this topic in this section. :)

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySat Jul 04, 2020 3:13 am

Hello London Very Happy
I like your photos and also how you described every one of them :)
It shows, that you really enjoyed beeing there, whatching these lovely animals and taking photos of them :)
Thank you for sharing with us.

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 am

Some new photos to upload today! While my trip to the Oglebay Zoo was a few weeks ago, I visited the Pittsburgh Zoo on Saturday. The Pittsburgh zoo is my hometown zoo and the zoo I have grown up visiting my entire life. It is a rather small and quaint zoo with fairly common species to see in parks (aside from one completely unique species I've saved for the end!) and I know many of the keepers, staff, and animals well from years of taking classes and volunteer work. You will probably see a lot more of these animals in the future considering that I get free admission, but nonetheless here are my photos from Saturday!

A young male Komodo Dragon (Varanus komodoensis) observes his visitors through the glass.

Jomo, a Black Rhino (Diceros bicornis), relaxes in the shade of his exhibit.

A Galapagos Tortoise (Chelonoidis nigra) splayed out in the sand.

Semba, a female Amur Leopard (Panthera pardus orientalis), takes a well-deserved nap.

Phoebe and Monica, two common ostriches (Struthio camelus) are engaged in conversation.

The Lowland Nyala (Tragelaphus angasii) herd, including new baby male Sage, hide almost out of view.

The African Bush Elephant (Loxodonta africana) herd, including older female Nan, who was once responsible for the death of a keeper, and daughter Angeline, indulge in a dust bath.

Lewis, the sweetheart Masai Giraffe (Giraffa cameleopardis tippelskirchi), begs for attention from visitors.

A ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta) curled up in a ball.

Two White-faced Sakis (Pithecia pithecia) are silhouetted against the greenhouse roof.

Two female White-Cheeked Gibbons (Nomascus leucogenys) are very laid back.

A pair of Colobus monkeys (Colobus guereza) engage in grooming.

A blue monkey (Cercopithecus mithis) conveys the same expression I have when I look at schoolwork.

Penny, a Grant's Zebra (Equus quagga boehmi) has some fun.

A Philippine Crocodile (Crocodylus mindorensis) lays with it's mouth open to cool down.

The only Aldabra Tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea) that was awake during my visit.

Pearl, a Visayan Warty Pig (Sus celibfrons) considers jumping in the pool.

Almost fully-grown Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa) cub Rukai still shows some of his cub fluff.

Capybara (Hydrochoeris hydrochaeris) Daenerys is feeling sleepy in the sunlight.

Female Giant Anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla) Tapas looks out the window.

Majik, an Ocelot, watches visitors from afar.

A baby blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus) swims in it's nursery tank.

A brook trout (Salvelinus frontinalis) shows off it's colors.

An Australian Lungfish (Neoceratodus forsteri) hangs out on the bottom of the tank.

An elecrtic eel (Electrophorus electricus) shows off it's rather dorky looking face.

Some beautiful Glass Catfish (Kryptopterus vitreolus) whose skeletons are visible through their skin.

The zoo's famous and old Blue Maine Lobster (Homarus americanus) who is a staple in every visit to the [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
zoo.

A walking batfish (Ogcocephalus spp.) shows off it's namesake.

An upside down jellyfish (Cassiopea spp.), also exhibiting how it got it's name.

A cowfish (Lactoria cornuta), my mother's personal favorite fish species.

A lace moray (Gymnothorax favagineus) Hides in some coral and shows off the typical moray expression.

A school of red hooks (Myleus rubripinnis).

A silver arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrohsum) judges my photography skills.

A large Pacu (Colossoma macropomum) in the flooded forrest exhibit.

A spotfin lionfish (Pterois antennata) illuminated in blue light.

Alki, a Sea otter (Enhydra lutris) stops grooming for a moment to pose for the camera.

Smiley, a two-week old California Sea Lion (Zalophus californianus), poses with mom Kelilah.

A young male Alpaca (Vicugna pacos) was a little peeved at me for being so close (in a walk through exhibit).

Otis, a huge male American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) is a fan favorite at the zoo.

A bright yellow Eyelash Viper (Bothriechis schlegelii) curled up in a tree.

A rattlensake (I'm sorry I don't remember the exact species! If anyone could help that would be great!) curled in a spiral pattern

Andre, an Amur Tiger (Panthera tigris altaica) finds a good place to take a nap to beat the heat.

And finally, the species you've all been waiting for! The Pittsburgh zoo is currently the only place in North America, and in my knowledge, the only park in the World (although I may be wrong on that) to exhibit Northern Elephant Seals (Mirounga angustirostris). Meet rescued females Nessie (front) and Ellie May!

And that's all for the Pittsburgh Zoo for the moment! I'm sorry this post is so long, I may split up some of these posts later down the line.

Last edited by endogenylove on Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 am

Thankyou for another wonderful walk through a great Zoo cheers

It looks like a real charming place, with happy, healthy animals , and I wished I could come and visit it Very Happy

You are probably right that elephant seals are extremely rare in captivity.
But not long ago I saw on tv a zoo where they had them also. It was in connection with the fact that the males have to be enormously fat before they become fertile  Laughing

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 11:46 am

A very nice journey through the zoo, some of the species are gorgeous. You surprised me when you said they had elephant seals, and yes these days they are very rare in captivity. I originally thought they had male elephant seals and then I was shocked as male elephant seals are huge!

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 3:15 pm

We did have one male by the name of Coolio, and he made national headlines the zoo took him in. The exhibit the elephant seals are in was originally meant for walrus, so it provides a pretty good place for them. Coolio was completely blind and unfortunately he never made it to full adult size as he passed away from congenital abnormalities in December Sad

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 3:42 pm

endogenylove wrote:
We did have one male by the name of Coolio, and he made national headlines the zoo took him in. The exhibit the elephant seals are in was originally meant for walrus, so it provides a pretty good place for them. Coolio was completely blind and unfortunately he never made it to full adult size as he passed away from congenital abnormalities in December Sad

Sad

Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Great report! And yes undoubtely the elephant seals are what I associate with the word "Pittsburgh", from the times when Coolio was alive.
Blue monkeys are rare in zoos too, as well as walking batfish! (this one as exciting for me as are the elephant seals).
Those are not piranhas, but red hooks (Myleus rubripinnis).

Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Great report! And yes undoubtely the elephant seals are what I associate with the word "Pittsburgh", from the times when Coolio was alive.
Blue monkeys are rare in zoos too, as well as walking batfish! (this one as exciting for me as are the elephant seals).
Those are not piranhas, but red hooks (Myleus rubripinnis).

I was aware that Blue monkeys are rare but certainly not that batfish are! I will pay more attention the next time I go through the aquarium. I will also edit the post to fix the red hook mistake! Thank you.

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 4:15 pm

An update on this topic: Later today I will post pictures (probably in multiple parts) from the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. I also have photos from the Erie Zoo and Keystone Safari on backlog, and those pictures will be posted in the next few weeks.

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 5:41 am

I am proud to present pictures from the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo in Cleveland, Ohio. Although when I went a large portion of the zoo was closed due to the virus and renovations, I can still show about half of the animals the zoo has to offer. The zoo is nice, although some of the exhibits are rather outdated, but all of the animals seem healthy so that is a minor complaint.

Starting off, a Chilean Flamingo (Phoenicopterus chilensis) takes a nap in the heat of the day.

A Meerkat (Suricata suricatta) splayed out in the dirt.

An African Bush Elephant (Loxodonta africana) watches the visitors go by.

An African Pygmy Goose (Nettapus auritus) gives me a curious glance.

A Bennett's Wallaby joey (Macropus rufogriseus) ventures out of the pouch but stays close to mom.

A Kea (Nestor notabilis) takes a nap in a hard to see spot.

An alpaca (Vicugna pacos) is illuminated in the golden sunlight.

A Barred Owl (Strix varia) peeks out at me from his dark hide.

A Spur-Winged Goose (Plectropterus gambensis) has just finished preening.

A gorgeous male African Lion (Panthera leo) is cast in a dappled shade.

An ostrich (Sruthio camelus) forages for food in the grass.

A gorgeous grazing Bontebok (Damaliscus pygargus) reminds me again of the beauty in nature.

Some Marabou Storks (Leptoptilos crumenifer) in a very odd sitting position and another walking around.

African Black Rhinos (Diceros bicornis), both a solitary one and a mother-daughter pair.

A sleepy Egyptian Goose (Alopochen aegyptiaca).

A Harbor Seal (Phoca vitulina) makes a splash in it's pool.

A Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) stands tall and proud on a rock overseeing his exhibit.

A Sichuan Takin (Budorcas taxicolor tibetana) seems very pleased with life.

A foraging Bar Headed Goose (Anser indicus).

A Japanese Red Crowned Crane (Grus japonensis) takes advantage of the shade.

A large Reindeer (Rangifer tarandus) shows off it's impressive rack of antlers.

A Mexican Grey Wolf (Canis lupus baileyi) laying so far back in the exhibit I almost missed it.

A Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus), the national symbol of my country.

A female Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) in a mixed species exhibit with the Bald Eagle and the next animal.

A rare Blanding's Turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) comes to visit me.

A White Stork (Ciconia ciconia) coexists with a wild common gull (Larus canus).

Two wild Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) hang out on a fence together.

An adult Masai Giraffe (Giraffa tippelskirchi) and a laying down calf.

A regal looking trumpeter swan (Cygnus buccinator).

A wild Great Blue Heron (Ardia herodias) takes advantage of a water source.

An Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae) watches the zoo train leave the station from behind it's fence.

A Northern Tree Shrew (Tupaia belangeri) hides behind some plant life.

An Aldabra Tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea) submerged to beat the heat.

A sleepy Crowned Lemur (Eulemur coronatus) cuddles with a teddy bear.

A bleary looking Mongoose Lemur (Eulemur mongoz) has just woken up from a nap.

An angelic looking Mueller's Gibbon (Hylobates muelleri) finally poses after about 20 minutes of no photo success.

A Leopard Moray Eel (Enchelycore pardalis) tries to look threatening.

A Black Spider Monkey (Ateles paniscus) utilizes it's prehensile tail so that it can use it's hands to grab more snacks.

A Red-tail Catfish (Phractocephalus hemioliopterus) has a very kind smile.

A Golden-Belled Mangabey (Cercocebus chrysogaster) contemplates the meaning of life.

And that's the end! Please let me know your thoughts, or if any species is particularly rare that I do not know about. Also, do you like the long format or should I split zoos with many pictures into multiple parts? Does it matter? I'll see you soon with pictures from the Erie Zoo next!

Last edited by endogenylove on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Nice again! You managed to show us an interesting selection despite half of the animals being out of sight in the zoo. African pygmy geese are some of the most beautiful ducks in the world - no wonder that I made a figurine of this species! That's not a magpie goose, but a spur-winged goose (Plectropterus gambensis). That reindeer have trully impressible antlers! I wonder how they manage to mix eagles with ducks in same exhibit. The submerged tortoise pic is visually oustanding, if only the tube at right side was missing it would be very apt for a winner in a photographic contest. And curious to see the use of plushes as enrichment for lemurs!

Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Nice again! You managed to show us an interesting selection despite half of the animals being out of sight in the zoo. African pygmy geese are some of the most beautiful ducks in the world - no wonder that I made a figurine of this species! That's not a magpie goose, but a spur-winged goose (Plectropterus gambensis). That reindeer have trully impressible antlers! I wonder how they manage to mix eagles with ducks in same exhibit. The submerged tortoise pic is visually oustanding, if only the tube at right side was missing it would be very apt for a winner in a photographic contest. And curious to see the use of plushes as enrichment for lemurs!

Thank you for letting me know about the goose! You’re absolutely right on the identification and I will change it. The eagle has several perches in a netted area above the artificial pond where the duck, turtle, and some frogs and fish are kept. It is really fascinating. I try to keep my photos in the same aspect ratio, but thanks to your suggestion I may crop the tortoise photo to be more square to exclude the pipe from the picture :)
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 6:24 pm

Here is an updated square crop of the tortoise photo. Pardofelis was right, this is much nicer.

Komodo

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 5:16 pm

endogenylove wrote:
Here is an updated square crop of the tortoise photo. Pardofelis was right, this is much nicer.
All your series of photos are very interesting and are certainly a reward for great effort. A little too late, I still have to ask you, because no one else did, what happened to a runaway bobcat? Shocked

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London's Zoo Photography!   London's Zoo Photography! Empty

Back to top Go down

London's Zoo Photography!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next