Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains variations

Go down 
+6
DrJu@551c
Taos
widukind
Roger
SUSANNE
Chris Sweetman
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Britains variations Empty
PostSubject: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Just noticed a few new posts regarding Britains Zoo/Wildlife animal figures.

As Britains made many 10,000s of their plastic animal zoo figures from 1960 to 1998 it is entirely possible that different versions may have been produced.

Also in the manufacturing process when the figure is ejected from the mould it might be slightly deformed from the normal. When collectors have multiple figures of the same model that was issued over many years then there is highly likely to be variations. Here this isn't related to the type of plastic used or paint variations. In the latter this is possible as any additional paint was applied by hand.

I have a few examples of the Britains panther (leopard) and some of these are different. May be a post from me to illustrate the examples of the panther I have to show these differences.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 10:20 pm

Ohh! Yes, please bounce bounce Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 2:11 am

Please, Chris, your knowledge is a treasure and very useful to our forum. Especially when Rogerpgvg is really making a fantastic work about Britains at the Toy Animal Wiki. It is important because some online references do not exist anymore.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 10:33 am

Yes please

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 2:19 pm

Yes please!!I have 3 variations of the Britains leopard but would like to see more!

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Taos wrote:
Yes please!!I have 3 variations of the Britains leopard but would like to see more!

Picture, picture bounce Laughing Laughing
I have a very special variation of the leopard, - it has no tail lol!

DrJu@551c

Country/State : AUSTRALIA

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 5:36 am

I've noticed a sculptural difference between a number of my models. I have two early versions of the sable that whilst clearly based off off of the same mould are actually different in the minute details.

I suspect the moulds started to deteriorate over time and thus new moulds where created using casts from these original moulds that where "redetailed" before being recast.

Back to top Go down
DrJu@551c

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 9:43 am

Examples of the Sable's:

Britains variations Img_0111
Britains variations Img_0112
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am

WOW ! Yes ! You are right cheers

Thankyou for sharing Very Happy

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 5:38 pm

There is another early sable antelope that is more clearly different: it has a blunter nose than the two you have. I think it isn't just an "accidental" difference, but one that Britains intended.

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 1:11 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
There is another early sable antelope that is more clearly different: it has a blunter nose than the two you have. I think it isn't just an "accidental" difference, but one that Britains intended.

Yes, I think i've seen pictures of it.
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Here are my variations of the Sable Antelope and the Leopard. Smile
Britains variations 03520
Britains variations 03615
Britains variations 03019
Britains variations 03118
Britains variations 03322
Britains variations 03224

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 pm

That is wonderful cheers
Even if I have been hiding it well, I must confess that I adore variations Rolling Eyes Laughing

And you even have the black panther cat I love you

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 10:05 pm

I mentioned it before, Taylor has everything Very Happy

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 11:29 pm

Very interesting to see, differences in molds and differences in paint.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 2:27 pm

Thank you especially Roger you're very kind!! Smile

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Very interesting for me

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 6:13 pm

Great array of variations

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 pm

Giant anteater number 1361

Britains variations 50148679373_a75169d315_c
Britains Giant anteater by Chris Sweetman, on Flickr

This model was introduced to the Zoo range in 1965 and deleted in 1985. It was a brand new figure and was never issued in lead. Sculptured possibly by George Ford.  

Image shows differences in moulding and painting but they both weigh 4 grammes.

The model on the left is marked on the belly area ENGLAND and at the base of the tail REG DES No 918376 and has a notable mane on the top of the body.

The model on the right is marked on the belly area ENGLAND and at the base of the tail REG DES and shows a thinner leg moulding.

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added weight)
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 am

Tapir number 1362

Britains variations 50149292776_67b70d558d_c
Britains Tapir by Chris Sweetman, on Flickr

This model was introduced to the Zoo range in 1965 and deleted in 1985. It was originally issued in lead in 1931.  

Both are marked under the belly area BRITAINS LTD ENGLAND.
As can be seen in the image the application of white paint varies as this was done by hand.

The model on the left is moulded in PVC plastic and weighs 16g. Due to being made in PVC this is a later version post 1968.

The model on the right is an earlier version made in 'Alkathene' ICI's trade name for polythene plastic and weighs 10g.

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 2:13 am

Wonderful informations, Crhis! I was completely unaware of these differences in the anteater model.
Weight, I always tell it is a good indicator to solve some misteries. I was not, however, expecting such a difference of weight between these two tapirs, it means, much probably, that the earlier model floats. Please don't try it once it is beautifullyy painted, so different from the newer model but I like the older best.

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 1:11 pm

DrJu@551c wrote:
Examples of the Sable's:

Britains variations Img_0111

Thanks DrJu@551c for posting your Sable variations - the version on the left looks like the PVC variant as it is shiny and is very different in terms of sculpting to the one on the right.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Taos wrote:
Here are my variations of the Sable Antelope and the Leopard. Smile
Britains variations 03520

Britains variations 03615

Thanks Taylor for sharing your Sable variations.

Image 1: The one on the right could be the PVC version and totally different mould from the one on the left.

Image 2: Again two different sculpts. The right hand side model is an early plastic version derived from the lead casting but has textured detail that wasn't evident on the lead version. The left hand side variant is clearly a different mould evident in the face, the horns and the base of the tail has undergone strengthening.  

All wonderful to see.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Roger wrote:
Wonderful informations, Crhis! I was completely unaware of these differences in the anteater model.
Weight, I always tell it is a good indicator to solve some misteries. I was not, however, expecting such a difference of weight between these two tapirs, it means, much probably, that the earlier model floats. Please don't try it once it is beautifullyy painted, so different from the newer model but I like the older best.

Many thanks Rogério. A few years ago I read somewhere that the PVC versions were heavier than the polythene ones so I decided to check this using my wife's kitchen scales. I always thought that my two Tapirs were different types of plastic and like you I prefer the earlier version due to the better painting.

Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Thank you for all the information,great to know!!

PostSubject: Re: Britains variations   Britains variations Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains variations
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next