Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA

Go down 
+2
Advicot
Megaptera
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  Empty
PostSubject: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Today, I want to show you the new Atlantic Horseshoe Crab from CollectA. This model Aas released this year and it's around 15 cm long and it represents the Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus ).
This species is also known as American Horseshoe Crab and the IUCN has recognized it as vulnerable. This animal is an arthropod and belongs to the order of Xiphosura. Because of the name you might think that they are related to Crustaceans, but they are more related to scorpions like the extinct sea scorpions. Females are larger than males and can grow up to 60 cm.

Because of the overall colour scheme, I think that this model represents a jounger specimen. Their colour changes from greenish to darker brown, when they getting older.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here, the three main areas are visible: the Prosoma (head region), the Opisthosoma (abdominal region) and the Telson (tail).

On the downside the mouth, legs and the gills are visible.

The details are fantastic. When I first saw all these wonderful details, it reminded me of the first semester of Bachelor.

Sadly, we don't have so much pictures from the practical course. My one looked much better than the one from my wife:

Last edited by Megaptera on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 pm

Thank you for this walkaround Micheal, I am glad I now have a specific species for this figure when it arrives in my collection

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Thank you, Adam. Soon, I will add some further informations to this walkaround. I'm searching for some pictures of the practical course 11 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 12:05 am

Very interesting topic Michael! I didn't know these creatures were more closely related with sea scorpions. You provided me a strange experience once now I watched this model in a completely different way.
These figures are often outside of my collecting horizons but I find them fascinating. I am not considering to acquire it but I suspect I will regret.

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 12:18 am

The relationships between Xiphosura and Eurypterida is not as close as was believed until recently. This old system made Xiphosura paraphyletic. In 2013, it was proposed that Eurypterida was the sister group to Arachnida, and the xiphosurans a sister group to the clade that contains them. In 2019, however, it was proposed that Xiphosura are nested within Arachnida, proper. Either way, the old thought of the horseshoe crabs being allied with the sea scorpions is pretty much defunct.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 7:20 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
The relationships between Xiphosura and Eurypterida is not as close as was believed until recently. This old system made Xiphosura paraphyletic. In 2013, it was proposed that Eurypterida was the sister group to Arachnida, and the xiphosurans a sister group to the clade that contains them. In 2019, however, it was proposed that Xiphosura are nested within Arachnida, proper. Either way, the old thought of the horseshoe crabs being allied with the sea scorpions is pretty much defunct.

OK, very interesting. Thank you for more details and the newest revision study
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks, now i wll add the figure in my collection.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  EmptyTue Sep 29, 2020 3:45 am

Very nice model and thank`s to your presentation , I will add it to my wish list :)

PostSubject: Re: The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA    The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA  Empty

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Atlantic Horseshoe Crab (Limulus polyphemus) from CollectA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: CollectA :: CollectA walkarounds and reviews-
Jump to: