Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mathison Museum of Natural History

Go down 
+23
Ana
Rakel
spacelab
Gecko08
Taos
Megaptera
Duck-Anch-Amun
75senta75
Kikimalou
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
RtasVadumee
landrover
Advicot
Roger
rogerpgvg
lucky luke
Caracal
pipsxlch
widukind
SUSANNE
endogenylove
bmathison1972
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 11:18 pm

Ah the longnose gar, an excellent fish species. Lovely photos figures all!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 9:50 am

I saw it too, and hopefully I can add this one to my collection

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Programming note: I have updated the first post to describe in better detail the selection process and how I calculate scale. Enjoy!

Species: Phoebis philea (Linnaeus, 1763) (orange-barred sulfur)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Authentics Butterflies
Year of Release: 1997
Size/Scale: Wingspan 6.5 cm, making it slightly under 1:1 in scale
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Uncommon
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is not commonly made, and those on the market are nearly all by Safari Ltd., who has produced this species four times. The Authentics figures are a bit stylized, but popular with collectors.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Southern United States, south to Brazil
Habitat: Forest edges, fields, gardens, roadsides
Diet: Larvae feed on legumes in the genus Cassia; adults feed on nectar
IUCN Status (at time of posting): N/A (NatureServe status: Secure)
Miscellaneous Notes: Orange-barred sulfurs take up water from damp soil (refered to as 'puddling'), often in large groups with other species of sulfur butterflies.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Interesting info, thank you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Nice butterfly

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Species: Prosopocoilus giraffa (Olivier, 1789) (giraffe stag beetle)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Epoch
Series: Flying Beetles
Year of Release: 2005
Size/Scale: Body + mandible length 7.5 cm, for a scale of about 1:1.5 for a large specimen. Wingspan of the figure is 10.5 cm.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is another species that has become a standard among Japanese companies, and I have several examples of it. There is some assembly required for this figure. It attaches to a habitat-style base with a black plastic rod, from which it is removable.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Much of Southeast Asia, from southern India to Indonesia
Habitat: Rainforests
Diet: Larvae feed on rotting hardwoods; adults are attracted to sap flows
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Not Evaluated
Miscellaneous Notes: One of the largest species in a very speciose genus, P. giraffa is popular with collectors and breeders.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 7:26 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Species: Macropodus ocellatus Cantor, 1842 (round-tailed paradise fish)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yujin
Series: Freshwater Fish Pictorial Book 1
Year of Release: Unknown
Size/Scale: Body length 5.0 cm, within scale of 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This figure was originally marketed as M. opercularis, but the morphology better supports M. ocellatus. Yujin released their Freshwater Fish series twice; I think mine is from the first release (sbell can confirm or deny). In later releases, Yujin corrected the ID to M. ocellatus. The figure is single-piece of plastic and comes with a habitat-style base from which it can be removed..

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Native to Southeast Asia, including Korea and China; introduced to Japan and Amur Basin, Russia
Habitat: Freshwater, including streams, backwaters of large rivers, lakes, irrigation channels, rice paddys, and ditches.
Diet: Freshwater invertebrates
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is popular in the aquaria trade.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Lovely models, and fantastic photos cheers

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Species: Lophorina superba (Pennant, 1781) (greater superb bird-of-paradise)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Arboreum Artwork
Series: 1:10 Animals
Year of Release: Unknown (c. 2018)
Size/Scale: Body length approx. 4.0 cm, for a scale of 1:6.5. Base is 3.5 cm. Breadth of courtship display 4.5 cm
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Very rare
Miscellaneous Notes: This is a resin figure made by forum member Panji Zulkaisar out of Indonesia. Most figures in the collection are around 1:10 in scale. This figure cannot be removed from its base.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indonesia and Papua New Guinea
Diet: Primarily fruit and insects, but also small birds, reptiles, and amphibians
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Least Concern
Miscellaneous Notes: This species is known for its elaborate courtship displays. And still, the average female rejects 15-20 potential suitors before deciding on a mate!

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Another interesting species and I love the fun facts included in the 'Miscellaneous Notes' with all your species! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Ohhh, so beautyful Shocked
It must be terribly fragile, though silent

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Stunning bird of paradise, what a marvelous model.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 am

Species: Kinyongia xenorhina (Boulenger, 1901) (strange-horned chameleon)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Yowie Group
Series: Rescue Series
Year of Release: 2017
Size/Scale: Figure length 6.3 cm. Snout to vent 4.5 cm for a scale roughly 1:2.4
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Unique
Miscellaneous Notes: The Rescue Series featured animals that are at risk due to habitat loss.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Ruwenzori Mountains of Uganda and the DRC
Diet: Insects and other small invertebrates
IUCN Status (at time of posting): Near Threatened
Miscellaneous Notes: The nasal protuberance that gives this critter its common name is more pronounced in the males, as several chameleons exhibit marked sexual dimorphism.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 10:22 am

Lovely model of an endangered species!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Species: Gelasimus tetragonon (Herbst, 1790) (tetragonal fiddler crab)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.
Series: 3D Capsule Encyclopedia - Crustaceans
Year of Release: unknown
Size/Scale: Width of figures 5.5 cm. Carapace width 2.0 cm, within scale 1:1
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Rare
Miscellaneous Notes: Neither of these figures were in the original set released by Yujin. The male was in the basic set released by Takara and the female was 'Secret A'. The large claw of the male has one point of articulation.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: Indo-Pacific
Habitat: Intertidal mud flats and sandy beaches, often among rocks and corals at mid-tide
Diet: Filamentous green algae, rarely predaceous on other crabs
Miscellaneous Notes: Like other fiddler crabs, this species exhibits extreme sexual dimorphism, with the male having one claw greatly enlarged.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Yowie chameleon is lovely figure.. cheers cheers

Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 10:19 pm

very beautiful and interesting! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 11:33 am

Another great species and I love the background!
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 2:27 pm

Very Happy Applause cheers sunny Cool
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone!!!

Species: Danaus plexippus (Linnaeus, 1758) (monarch, larva)

About the Figure:
Manufacturer: Safari Ltd.
Series: Smithsonian Insects
Year of Release: 1996
Size/Scale: Figure length 9.0 cm. Measured along the midline 10.0 cm for a scale of 2:1 for a large, mature larva.
Frequency of species in toy/figure form (at time of posting): Common
Miscellaneous Notes: This is probably the most commonly-made butterfly at the species level; Safari Ltd. has made it at least five times! At the time of this writing, I have 17 examples, and that doesn't include the figure Papo is expected to release this year.

About the Animal:
Geographic distribution: North, Central, and South America, the Caribbean, the Azores, Canary Islands, North Africa, Australia, the Philippines, and South Pacific islands; rare stray to the United Kingdom
Habitat: Fields, forests, gardens, disturbed areas
Diet: Larvae feed on milkweeds in the family Apocynaceae, most commonly members of the genus Asclepias; adults take nectar from a variety of flowers
NatureServe Status (at time of posting): Apparently Secure
Miscellaneous Notes: Populations in the northern North America are known for their long annual migrations to Florida, southern California, and Mexico in the late summer/fall.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 1:51 pm

Some people have been curious about frequency of what non-arthropods or other taxa might come up. I created pie charts showing percentages of major taxa, and taxa within arthropods. I did not include actual numbers (I am not one to bring attention to the number of figures I have). Also, when I started my Syntomic Collection, I thinned out the arthropods, keeping only those identifiable to the genus or species level.

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Very interesting pie charts and I can definitely see that Anthropods are a favourite of yours to collect! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Bonnie wrote:
Very interesting pie charts and I can definitely see that Anthropods are a favourite of yours to collect! Very Happy

Yeah, arthropods are not synoptic LOL. For example, there are two species of beetle where I have 40-45 figures each LOL.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mathison Museum of Natural History   Mathison Museum of Natural History - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mathison Museum of Natural History
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next