Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies

Go down 
+4
widukind
endogenylove
Advicot
Pepi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

Country/State : Madrid

Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies Empty
PostSubject: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 4:55 pm

Dear fellow collectors,
I'm trying to expand the primate brand of my "synoptic" collection.
I'm now focused on getting a Gorilla beringei (mountain gorilla) to go along with my Schleich couple (the most recent). I don't know exactly the differences between both species (if any), so I cannot decide for a proper figure... maybe 2020 CollectA?

The same happens with the orangutans. I currently own a family of Bornean orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) made up of the Papo male, and the old Schleich female and baby. I've been thinking in the new Schleich female and baby as sumatran (Pongo abelii) but I'm not sure...

What do you think?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 pm

This may help with the orangutans: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 7:02 pm

The collectA orangutan is a Sumatran, along with the Papo Male. the Safari family are Bornean. Based on the make that accompanies them, as it’s hard to tell from the female alone, I’d say the Schleich orangutans are Sumatrans.

As for gorillas, the CollectA is marketed as a mountain gorilla, so it’s hard to go wrong there. Papo also advertised a mountain gorilla at this range, but the CollectA is a better representation. Look for shakier fur and shorter arms than the other gorilla species, Those are your best bets for figure identification.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Thank you :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 7:25 pm

If a company does not specifically market a gorilla at the species of subspecies level, assume it's generic and you can decide whichever you choose. The external morphologic features are too subtle to be depicted in a toy figure most of the time.

My eastern lowland is Schleich (2017)
My mountain is CollectA (2020)
My western lowland is CollectA (2006)

I agree with endogenylove with regards to orangutans
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 pm

Great!
So I had wrong marketeed my orangutan family. What confused me was the more bright colour of Sumatran, while the figures are darker, just like Bornean. I used the Illustrated Checklist of Mammals of the World (a MAGNIFICENT book that I recommend). You can see the page devoted to orangutans among the sample ones, you can take a look here.

About the gorillas, I would do as Blaine, but will keep just one lowland, as generic, the Schleich 2017. And will add the mountain gorilla from CollectA to my wishlist. My main question was if they both fit if considered these two species.

Thanks everybody.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 9:42 pm

I have the Illustrated Checklist of Mammals. It's a great book, but they clearly take the 'splitters' approach to taxonomy, elevating a lot of subspecies to the species level. Some I accept, some I do not. One should do independent research before accepting them :)
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 9:45 pm

I'd love to get this book, it's just the price I have to put into consideration

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyWed Dec 23, 2020 9:51 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
I have the Illustrated Checklist of Mammals. It's a great book, but they clearly take the 'splitters' approach to taxonomy, elevating a lot of subspecies to the species level. Some I accept, some I do not. One should do independent research before accepting them :)

I was also surprised by the amount of subspecies they mark as species, but it is the illustrations and the completness of the book that I love.
Besides, I'm not an expert on the matter. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but I'm not in the position to do a rigurous research by myself and reach any valid conclusion. That's why I'm triggering many questions in the forum lately.
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 5:46 am

Very interesting topic, I have been wondering the same thing about orangutans, planning, as you do, to use the CollectA + newer Schleich female as Sumatran and the older Schleich family as Bornean.

Even if you already have the Papo male, get the CollectA one, it's significantly better and pure typical CollectA masterpiece.

Of course, both gorillas are must-have, I am planning to get the CollectA mountain just to do a walkaround comparison topic here, a "deathmatch" between Schleich and CollectA !

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 7:23 am

Since the "discovery" of the "Tapanuli orangutan" I think it would be a good idea to merge again both orangutans in a single species, taking in account that hybrids are fully fertile and that physical differences are more subtle than between human races variations...

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 7:28 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Since the "discovery" of the "Tapanuli orangutan" I think it would be a good idea to merge again both orangutans in a single species, taking in account that hybrids are fully fertile and that physical differences are more subtle than between human races variations...

Applause
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 9:38 am

RtasVadumee wrote:
Very interesting topic, I have been wondering the same thing about orangutans, planning, as you do, to use the CollectA + newer Schleich female as Sumatran and the older Schleich family as Bornean.

Even if you already have the Papo male, get the CollectA one, it's significantly better and pure typical CollectA masterpiece.

Of course, both gorillas are must-have, I am planning to get the CollectA mountain just to do a walkaround comparison topic here, a "deathmatch" between Schleich and CollectA !

Hi Ben!
I'm sorry but the CollectA orangutan is, in my humble opinion, awful hahaha. Same sith the Safari family...
So for now I will just keep my Sumatran family (Papo male, old Schleich female and baby).
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptySat Dec 26, 2020 9:32 am

Really ? You may not like the pose which is clearly inspired by King Louis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but the sculpting and especially the painting are pure CollectA quality in my opinion.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptySat Dec 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Pepi wrote:
RtasVadumee wrote:

Hi Ben!
I'm sorry but the CollectA orangutan is, in my humble opinion, awful hahaha. Same sith the Safari family...
So for now I will just keep my Sumatran family (Papo male, old Schleich female and baby).

RtasVadumee wrote:
Really ? You may not like the pose which is clearly inspired by King Louis [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but the sculpting and especially the painting are pure CollectA quality in my opinion.

Funny thing I like in our village: Three collectors, three points of view Laughing

I used to have too much orangutans in the past. Now I only have my three favorites, Safari Ltd WW one, Safari Ltd female with baby and the Kaiyodo WildRush. I love you

By the way Pepi, I like very much your new avatar Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptySat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 pm

The Safari Ltd WW is my favourite, but has not the correct scale for me...

Thanks Kikimalou! It is from Ark Project. I guess you know what it is. Its about a guy who is photographing all animal species and creating a sort of Noah's Ark with those photos.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies EmptySat Dec 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Yes, the very famous Joel Sartore. He is just a rich version of myself Razz

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies   Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies Empty

Back to top Go down

Gorillas and orangutans species/subspecies
Page 1 of 1