Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Very short production times

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

Very short production times Empty
PostSubject: Very short production times   Very short production times EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 12:51 pm

It seems quite a few of Papo's sea life and wildlife have retired within only 1, 2 or 3 years of production, this makes me wonder how could they have been so unpopular that they would be taken out of production so soon? Suspect
Thankfully I have been able to get most of these however I know some collectors haven't been as lucky.

A couple of figures that have fell victim:

Bush Veterinarian 50213 2017- 2018
Ocelot 50244 2017- 2019
Standing Tiger 50208 2016- 2019 (If you ask me I am super surprised about this figure!)
White Gorilla 50204 2016- 2017
Elephant Seal 56032 2017-2019
Frogman 56031 2017- 2019
Albatross 56038 2018-2020
Walrus 56030 2017-2020 (Their last walrus also didn't last very long scratch )

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Very short production times   Very short production times EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 1:22 pm

Yes I've noticed this with some of their dogs too- it's such a shame because it means that they become rare quicker than you can collect them!
I'm so surprised about the standing tiger, this figure amazed me so much that I bought it even after becoming a dog collector! Laughing And this is also the case for the Papo Weimaraner I love you , this must be one of Papo's best dogs but this beautiful dog was only around for a year before retiring, and is now just so difficult to find Sad
This is just a point about the standing tiger- to me it's beautifully painted with so much detail, when other Papo paint jobs are in comparison very simple. Maybe because of the effort it took to paint this figure, it retired earlier scratch But I wish they could paint their dogs like this! drunken
I love how Papo aren't yet adopting the 'cutesy' style of Schleich and are staying realistic, but the animals on your list are not the obvious 'cute' animals that children like, so maybe they didn't sell as well scratch
It's a mystery, but I only hope that Papo isn't forced to change style to be more successful and keeps making the wonderful dogs and variety of breeds they have always done! cheers bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Very short production times   Very short production times EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 1:36 pm

That is an interesting point about their dogs Lillias, and sad that one of my dogs is a Weimaraner cross and its mother in figure form was released for one year Sad Suspect

The point is how can they say after one year a figure has to be scrapped, it has barely had any runtime to see if it will do well. At least give a figure 2 years at least. Also even without the Pandemic Papo seem to get their newly released figures out to online and physical walk in shops quite late. For example I visited Wonderland Models in Edinburgh a couple of years back (they also have an online shop) and then mentioned they get their new releases around July.

If you ask me that is way to late as it is almost the end of the year if you think about it, it is unlikely they'll get hundreds of people wanting the new releases in a small amount of months. Then to be told "oh by the way we're scrapping that figure as it didn't sell well" it was only in the shop for 4 months at most! Mad

Rant over, phew Laughing

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Very short production times   Very short production times EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 1:37 pm

In France it's worse... I can't see any 2020 Papo at Joué club or Pick Wick What a Face
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Very short production times   Very short production times EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 1:41 pm

That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever, France is the home of Papo, and it's January 2021 and no 2020 figures scratch

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Very short production times   Very short production times EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 1:45 pm

Lillias, 24 dogs and cats out of 44 from Papo have been retired, which is over half! Suspect

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Very short production times   Very short production times EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Oh yes good point- that's very late to get new releases! Shocked And so many retired cats and dogs! If they keep retiring figures so quickly it's going to become a race for collectors to get all the animals they love! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very short production times   Very short production times Empty

Back to top Go down

Very short production times
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Papo-
Jump to: