Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.

Go down 
+6
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Advicot
Bonnie
cmj3
10 posters
AuthorMessage
cmj3

Country/State : Virginia

Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. Empty
PostSubject: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 2:50 pm

Hey, for Christmas, I recieved this huge lot of vintage marine animals from brands such as the Monterey Bay Aquarium collection, AAA, Playvisions, etc.

Whoever owned this was quite the collector, as it even had an old booklet that contained a lot of the detailed tag info and more from the Monterey Bay Aquarium collection in addition to some images of what I assume are the reference-sculpts for the main figures. Not all of the figures are here as the Giant Squid, Narwhal, Pacific-white-sided dolphin, and the Thresher Shark are all absent. Since the youngest figures here were released in 1994, that's when I suspect this booklet was released. All except for the cover page is intact
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 2:56 pm

This is so interesting- and how amazing that you have it! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 3:35 pm

This is very interesting, thank you

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 5:15 pm

Very interresting, especially the last page. It was 1994 good advises... We aren't saved.
Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm

Bonnie wrote:
This is so interesting- and how amazing that you have it! cheers cheers cheers

As I continue to search the internet for any scans or listings for this kind of booklet, the more grateful I become for being in possession of it myself. I could barely find anything related to this booklet. Will likely do some scans for preservation purposes.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 7:19 pm

Yes definitely! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Having these kinds materials is important I think. Most people dispose of them and they are both interesting to read and educational. Thanks for sharing!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Having these kinds materials is important I think. Most people dispose of them and they are both interesting to read and educational. Thanks for sharing!

Agreed, aside from the animal info ( cause some of it is a bit outdated like the sperm whale population stats), I also find it interesting for the sake of the advertising/product history itself like the intended scales and such. The most interesting part was seeing the models for these figures that I have never seen before. I initially posted this on a thread on the animal toy forum where I was also documenting the information on the older tags of these figures.
Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 7:56 pm

Here are the proper scans

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 8:04 pm

The info might be outdated but it tells us something for the time it was published. The marketing too, I was just thinking about how it's a shame they don't do little info tags anymore but I'm sure it cut costs. My Moneterray Bay humpback is black and white, I don't know that I've seen a gray one as pictured.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 8:12 pm

This is ever so wonderful  cheers

Thos is worth gold in buckets for us as collectors, - thankyou very, very much for sharing  Applause  flower

Kikimalou wrote:
Very interresting, especially the last page. It was 1994 good advises... We aren't saved.

Yes, isn't it horrible that we have not gone much further ?
And it was said so much earlier.
My mother ( borne 99 years ago) always said NEVER to buy a plastic bag , not eat too much meat, but more green food etc etc. when I was a child.
The young people think they invented this, but their grandparents may actually have preached it many years ago.
But not all ! I remember once in the '80s in Austria, a man told me I was a *beep* communist, because I talked about not throwing thrash in a lake !!! ...???? scratch Shocked geek  Laughing

cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
The info might be outdated but it tells us something for the time it was published. The marketing too, I was just thinking about how it's a shame they don't do little info tags anymore but I'm sure it cut costs. My Moneterray Bay humpback is black and white, I don't know that I've seen a gray one as pictured.

As for the sperm whale population stats, I think inaccurate is a better word than outdated, because I don't think that info was accurate even for 1994 ( if it were I then I'd have zero problems with it). I don't believe it was ever proposed that there were 3 million sperm whales prior to whaling. The general pre-whaling population was estimated to have been 1.1 million, with a current estimate of about 300k.

I believe the models here aren't the actual retail figures, but instead likely some catalog-only reference models or masters for the molds. For ones like the humpback, gray whale, and whale shark, there have never been official releases that matched these paintjobs.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 8:38 pm

cmj3 wrote:
......For ones like the humpback, gray whale, and whale shark, there have never been official releases that matched these paintjobs.

Ahhh! Especially the whale shark looks very different from what I have ever seen Very Happy

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 pm

Great to see this catalogue! Indeed, the advice on the last page is more relevant than ever.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 3:29 pm

I am happy that i bought these figures in the past. That are phantastic sea life figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Fossa

Fossa

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 pm

God, what a massive flashback!!!.

i had that catalog when i was a kid. i totaly forgot i did!!. but the picture of the otter with the algae made me recover it from somewhere in the depts of my brain. and there was another very similar catalog with dinosaurs that i also forgot... probably both came at the same time from the same place, but i have no clue how that ended up in the hands of a kid from Ibiza before the online purchase era... all i know is i loved to read it and look at the animals!!.

how amazing it is to bring back to light something that has been forgotten for many years. thanks for sharing!!

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 10:26 pm

Fossa wrote:

i had that catalog when i was a kid. i totaly forgot i did!!. but the picture of the otter with the algae made me recover it from somewhere in the depts of my brain. and there was another very similar catalog with dinosaurs that i also forgot... probably both came at the same time from the same place, but i have no clue how that ended up in the hands of a kid from Ibiza before the online purchase era... all i know is i loved to read it and look at the animals!!.

how amazing it is to bring back to light something that has been forgotten for many years. thanks for sharing!!

Glad to see my post brought back some memories! If I had to guess, the dinosaur catalog was likely for the Carnegie Collection.
Back to top Go down
TerribleDactyl

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 4:00 pm

Fossa wrote:

i had that catalog when i was a kid. i totaly forgot i did!!. but the picture of the otter with the algae made me recover it from somewhere in the depts of my brain. and there was another very similar catalog with dinosaurs that i also forgot... probably both came at the same time from the same place,

Correct, this style of collector's guide booklet was produced by Safari for all of their main collections in the early 90s - Monterey Bay sealife, Carnegie Collection dinosaurs, and Vanishing Wild. I have a few of the Carnegie ones, approximately 1993, 1995, and 1998 - looks like they may have been updated every other year. There's also an early 200s edition but I'm not sure what year. You can see the cover images here, I will have to get around to scanning the interiors sometime. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
cmj3

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. EmptyTue Feb 09, 2021 8:13 pm

TerribleDactyl wrote:

Correct, this style of collector's guide booklet was produced by Safari for all of their main collections in the early 90s - Monterey Bay sealife, Carnegie Collection dinosaurs, and Vanishing Wild. I have a few of the Carnegie ones, approximately 1993, 1995, and 1998 - looks like they may have been updated every other year. There's also an early 200s edition but I'm not sure what year. You can see the cover images here, I will have to get around to scanning the interiors sometime. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've recently got my hands on a bunch of these things after having recently purchased the display mountain for the MBA collection. It seems to be from 1996 as it includes both the Sawfish and the Thresher Shark, but no the Pacific white-sided dolphin, Narwhal, or Giant Squid. The downside is that this guide was printed at a much smaller size. So it's a good thing I found this one from 1994, because was able to get higher-quality images.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.   Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994. Empty

Back to top Go down

Monterey Bay Aquarium Catalog circa 1994.
Page 1 of 1