Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official Nayab IDs?

Go down 
+7
Duck-Anch-Amun
Bonnie
Advicot
Pardofelis
Roger
SUSANNE
endogenylove
11 posters
AuthorMessage
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

Official Nayab IDs? Empty
PostSubject: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySat Jan 16, 2021 11:51 pm

I found this Amazon listing of Nayab figures being sold through curious minds. It seems to officially list some species for figures who’s species has been debated for years (such as the monkey/kinkajou). The pictures can also be used to further ID the species. Maybe this is a helpful resource? Here is an image for if the link doesn’t work.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 8:25 am

That is a very good idea with pictures and a transparent bag for it all cheers

Thankyou very much for sharing, - now we need no longer be in doubt what species they are Applause Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 9:10 am

Actually Curious Minds have been a good help to identify some Nayab figures. However, we sometimes find the same figures differently identified when sold by another brand. The problem with the kinkajou is that we tried to identify it as a primate and as kinkajous are not primates, that option was not considered. Though, these animals were classified as primates util recently and we find them often among primates in books. Curiously, kinkajous are knownas night monkeys in English, as mono de la noche in Spanish and macaco da noite in Portuguese. All have the same meaning.

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 9:46 am

Are you sure that you're not mistaking kinkajous with the true night monkeys, Roger? Night monkeys (Aotus spp.) are indeed monkeys, and I never in my life saw the kinkajou classified amongst primates in any book (and I have access to many old animal encyclopedias).

By the way, the picture is useful also for see the size of the other figures. I have the genet and I would not mind getting the lemur and coati Very Happy

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 10:42 am

If you find a coati please let me know Very Happy

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 am

Very interesting photo, it definitely helped me identify a couple of these from my collection! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 1:34 pm

Thank you for this information. Yes, those nayab animals are often discussed and nearly every 6 months, we find another topic about them^^

I bought myself some of those, leaving the identification for some of them open. But I noticed, that Roger (?) already made an update on TAW^^

The kinkajou was sold in a primate set, so we always looked on primates as species. I bought mine as "tarsier", but the figure has a tail, that can´t be seen on the official pictures. Some of us used it than as "aye-aye". Now, we have an official (?) identification as kinkajou. As Roger said, those animals were classified first as primates! kinkajous were known as Lemur flavus.

The sun bear was another mystery. Most of us (as we can see in TAW) identified it as wombat.

The zorilla was identified by most of us as spotted skunk.

the macaque has to be from another set than the 36 assorted animals set...I don´t own it myself.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 2:11 pm

These are probably not 'official' IDs (heck, Nayab may never have announced their 'intended' IDs). This looks like a neat and custom marketing idea by the eBay seller. Still, nothing wrong with those IDs :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 8:33 pm

I must find a way to sort these discussions  around the Nayab models. It gets confusing anytime it is opened again. I am not saying this topic shouldn't be opened. Wink
Studying the way Nayab sorts their sets, the zorrilla is a spotted skunk and I have the small models and even with a simple painting, we can see they are spotted skunks. However, I accept the wombat as a black bear, the back legs work better for a bear. The janguarundi is almost surely a black panther, it is just an optimistic guess from collectors wishing unusual species. The kinkajou is consensual for a long time and probably the most discussed figure. monkey cat
Pardofelis wrote:
Are you sure that you're not mistaking kinkajous with the true night monkeys, Roger? Night monkeys (Aotus spp.) are indeed monkeys, and I never in my life saw the kinkajou classified amongst primates in any book (and I have access to many old animal encyclopedias).

By the way, the picture is useful also for see the size of the other figures. I have the genet and I would not mind getting the lemur and coati Very Happy

I can't remember all around Nayab models but this time I am sure. Please check this link!

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 8:25 pm

I found another example of wishful thinking by collectors with another Nayab model, the Realistic Figurines Bezoar ibex. The Nayab website lists that as an Alpine ibex, and there's no reason it can't be a female or young Alpine ibex. So why does ToyAnimal.info say that this is a Bezoar ibex? It's probably just wishful thinking again.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 pm

Birdsage wrote:
I found another example of wishful thinking by collectors with another Nayab model, the Realistic Figurines Bezoar ibex. The Nayab website lists that as an Alpine ibex, and there's no reason it can't be a female or young Alpine ibex. So why does ToyAnimal.info say that this is a Bezoar ibex? It's probably just wishful thinking again.

Absolutely not, Andreas aka Widukind found the pictures used by Nayab for their model and they used a Bezoar ibex pic to make it. It is somewhere on STS.

Please Andreas come to the rescue cheers
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 pm

I didn’t know that. Thanks for letting me know!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:06 pm

The model is the exact copy of the pic, maybe Nayab never noticed it wasn't an Alpine ibex. I think the brand doesn't care.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:11 pm

If it’s the case then put a note on the page on ToyAnimal.info.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 11:38 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Birdsage wrote:

Absolutely not, Andreas aka Widukind found the pictures used by Nayab for their model and they used a Bezoar ibex pic to make it. It is somewhere on STS.

Please Andreas come to the rescue cheers

I have been slowly moving back to their old idntifications most of these models. Identifications from Del Prado collection or from us collectors are tendencially more correct than those from Nayab. These figures are probably not original from Nayab. Laughing I will try to regroup these discussions on forum and check what is really wrong. Is it what you're looking for?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyTue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Is the wombat really a wombat or is it a black species of bear (sun, American black, or spectacled)?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyTue Mar 16, 2021 5:32 pm

Birdsage wrote:
Is the wombat really a wombat or is it a black species of bear (sun, American black, or spectacled)?

We don't have official identification. Traditionally we use it as a wombat but it was seen marketed as a sunbear. Seriously, do you think it matches any species of bear or even a common wombat? Hard to be sure.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? EmptyTue Mar 16, 2021 6:00 pm

Its a really strange model. I personally don't think it fits any species perfectly. Thats the problem with many of these models.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Nayab IDs?   Official Nayab IDs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Nayab IDs?
Page 1 of 1