Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Customized gyrfalcon

Go down 
+8
Roger
widukind
Advicot
Pardofelis
RtasVadumee
Bonnie
Kikimalou
Pepi
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

Country/State : Madrid

Customized gyrfalcon Empty
PostSubject: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 7:53 pm

Dear collectors,
Today I received as a gift the Papo peregrine falcon. It's a really nice model, but I'm more than happy with the Schleich one.
I thought about customizing it as another species. However, the shape of the extended wings of this model is quite characteristic, and I don't know if it could fit the one of another hawk species.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

First, I was thinking in doing a Harris hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus) since the paintjob won't be difficult. The bird has not complicated feather patterns. But, the shape of the wings it's quite different so I'm not sure about the final accuracy.

Then, comparing the wings shape I thougt that, maybe, an osprey could be a good idea. I would love to have this species, but unfortunatelly, the Schleich one is impossible to get nowadays.

So, what do you think? Is there any other species I shall consider? I'm open to small retouchs with clay or similars.

By the way, I'm sorry because I feel like I'm asking to many questions to you lately, but I'm always amazed by how much you know about animals!

Last edited by Pepi on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 8:34 pm

I think none of them could be easily customised, both are too different from a Peregrine falcon. There is a lot of falcon species you could choose, it would be safer.
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 9:14 pm

I will follow your advice.
So, according to this chart,

A Cooper's hawk could fit well. The patterns are challenging but I could try,

Also, according to this second chart,

Swainson's and broad-winged hawks could be good options,

Let's see your ideas!
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 9:20 pm

Oh how exciting, I can't wait to see the result! Very Happy bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 pm

I have the Schleich osprey but it would be very very expensive I think Twisted Evil

I am not even sure and female ostrich would be enough Wink Perhaps two ? Twisted Evil

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 pm

You can find easily Schleich Ospreys on eBay.de for about 20€. I think it is not so expensive

HERE is the link

Last edited by Kikimalou on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Yes, I already knew that auctions.
But I don't need this model so much
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 pm

I understand.

About falcons, A Teita or a Red-necked falcon would be nice too.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 11:17 pm

Kikimalou took his advices out of my mouth, word by word Razz

I have only one falcon in my collection and is a homemade gyrfalcon. Since gyrfalcons are the largest falcons and the Papo model is ginormous Razz, and they're so magnific and relatively easy to paint (at least the white phase), you may want to try this one.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 11:20 pm

Indeed it is an anticipatory plagiarism Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 11:31 pm

Mmm nice ideas. The teita is tempting, the red-neck is quite complicated because of the patterns grey/white lf the body and the gyrfalcon... may I see yours Pardofelis?

By the way, the Schleich peregrine falcon is bigger than Papo's
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 4:58 am

All the Schleich raptors of this series are bigger than Papo.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:11 am

Pepi wrote:
may I see yours Pardofelis?

Yes of course, these are the photos I've posted in my homemade models thread:

Pardofelis wrote:
The next one is the gyrfalcon, Falco rusticolus. My plan was an Aplomado falcon but it looked too big for me after sculpting, so I've painted a gyrfalcon instead. In fact it could fit better with a peregrine-sized (female), but for a male gyrfalcon is OK :)
Bending of the tail in the oven was an unpredicted flare Sad
Making a harness of thread and getting the bird in horizontal position is more tricky than maybe you think! Razz

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 am

Hang on Ben, two female ostriches for the Schleich osprey, I'm in! Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 5:46 pm

A Harris hawk. There are a few osprey figures that you can buy. But you can also buy a second Papo figure Wink

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 pm

The Harris hawk will be my choice, but I agree that the shape is not very accurate. So the gyrfalcon will be. I'll start this afternoon
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Good choice, I can't wait to watch it.
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 9:31 pm

Too much expectation!
Here it is. I don't know what I think about it (normally happens when I just finish sth, I need some perspective).
Firstly I thougt the dark spots will be difficult to do. Then I found that the plumage is very detailed in the model so I though just painting the tip of each feather will be nice. But, in practice, doing that was more difficult than expected (in part due to bad brushes). Also, I'm not sure about the back, which I just dry painted and it ended being darker than planned. However, there are specimens with darker baks so, I don't know.

Anyway, I hope you like it. I'm totally open to corrections :)

After two lays of white:

And the final product:

Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 10:54 pm

May I should have posted this in the Homemade section scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:05 pm

It is now in the section for Customs on forum.
I love the final result as well as the species choice. The original never attracted me that much but your custom is turning it into a very interesting model.

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 pm

It resulted very good, Pepi! Applause Applause Applause

I only would do the tail more white, with the black bars very weak or even absent. Individuals that are so white, usually have unbarred tails I think.

Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:23 pm

Thanks!
Looking at the photos I find the model so ugly...
I shall learn how to take them better.
Anyway, I think I will retouch the dark spots tomorrow and, if it's not too late I will take pictures with natural light
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 am

Very good repaint, and hopefully Papo retire the peregrine and release gyr instead, fingers crossed.

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 9:47 am

Congratulations Pepi very good idea to customize this Papo falcon and very good idea Very Happy Applause cheers study
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 10:16 am

Such a good idea and wow- it is just beautiful now! Shocked cheers Applause
Every detail, I can almost feel its feathers! cheers
And I know how annoying it is- models always look worse in photos- but yours looks amazing so I can only imagine how incredible it is in real life! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Customized gyrfalcon   Customized gyrfalcon Empty

Back to top Go down

Customized gyrfalcon
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next