Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Unpacked my childhood box

Go down 
+7
Advicot
Bonnie
widukind
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
landrover
Jill
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Unpacked my childhood box Empty
PostSubject: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 9:59 pm

And by Childhood Box, I mean the box that consists of pretty my entire "collection" at this point, because I only dug it out this year, which started me on the road that led here. Laughing I finally got a nice weekend day free to go through them and get photos. Not an inspirational line up, nothing like the impressive collections I am seeing on this board, only some nostalgic friends. :)

My Schliech, Breyer, and Club Earth are not included here. Schliech and Breyer are packed up separately, and Club Earth I am still working on figuring out (thanks again to everyone helping me on that!). This is just "the rest"!

I do need some help identifying. I found a lot of them on TAW, but not all! Also, if I have anything mis-identified, please let me know.

Safari LTD
This was my favorite brand as a kid (besides Breyer) hands down. I have lost several pieces over the years, and they were too expensive for me to get many of, but I have wistful memories of being in zoo gift shops gazing at them. drunken

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

AAA
Again, I had a lot of these lost over time. These were another one I got mainly from zoo (and similar) gift shops!

Funrise
I want to collect Funrise horses again, I loved the set I had as a kid so much that I absolutely obliterated them.

Everything else Identified - Ertl, K&M, Empire, Kid Kore, Creata, Play Visions, Toy Major, LSP, Puppy in my Pocket

Now here's where I need help! These are unidentified sets or individuals. I have seen some of them before (they are all over ebay), but can't seem to lock down a brand name!

Thank you!! :)

And last but not least . . . all these cheap hard plastic guys that I don't know anything about at all, except that a lot of them were part of a Noah's Ark set (which is why so many are paired). Note that on these, I did a lot of "customizing" as a kid - so if you notice very hand-drawn looking markings or weird blotchy colors, that's why.

Thanks! Cool
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 10:46 pm

Wow in this box there are many treasures, for example, these nice horses by Funrise.

Playvisions, AAA.....many brands. congrats.

cheers cheers cheers

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 pm

So many awesome splendid oldies! Thank you for sharing them!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 6:38 am

How I enjoyed looking through your pictures cheers
So many different ones, and so many beauties, - and so much they have been loved I love you

It is wonderful that you have kept them, and wonderful that you show them to us now .

Can you tell us anything about the gorgeous wolverine ?  It looks quite large , and ever so charming  Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 am

I can see any treasures. Congrats

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 am

So wonderful that you discovered your old collection- so many treasures, different brands, different species! cheers cheers
Your LPS dogs are so sweet, especially as they are vintage! Very Happy The modern ones seem to be much more exaggerated than these previous ones- but are still collectibles and very popular it seems!
I love your Puppy in my Pockets too- these models are soooo wonderful! cheers As I said before I love the Collie- usually models made of this breed are sable and white so it's a lovely change to have this tricolour colouring! Very Happy And you even have one of the Precious Puppies by Topps in that bundle- the one covered with paint, I think he's lost his paint brush though! He's dog number 20, a pointer called Rainbow! I love you
For the unidentified models, I don't know much about non-dog figures, but I think that you have the K&M/ Wild Republic zoo tube: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
And now for the dogs! cheers cheers
That lovely little red dog is a Schleich Mini, a Chow Chow- so definitely a highly collectible model! cheers
The four dogs in the photo below are wonderful, and by Hang Shun Toys! They made a series of 12 different dogs, amazing that you have these three because I think these were only sold for a year (2007-2008) and Chinese brands like this have made some lovely models that I am struggling to find now! The only dog I have from this set is a Golden Retriever- similar style to them but painted orange! Shocked
For the cheap hard plastic animals I think you will find they are mostly marked Hong Kong? Very Happy Here I think we generally just call them vintage Hong Kong models! So the two collies I think are these brands, I have the yellow one who is also marked with Hong Kong! And I think the Borzoi is also by a Hong Kong company, if I remember correctly by a series called Dogs of the World- but I can't quite remember the exact name of the manufacturer! study
I hope this helps! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Thank you everyone! Kind words for my "well loved" little zoo!

SUSANNE wrote:

Can you tell us anything about the gorgeous wolverine ?  It looks quite large , and ever so charming  Very Happy
On TAW, he is listed as the "Toy Major National Wildlife Federation Wolverine" but I don't know anything beyond that! I think I found him at a thrift shop a little later in life, I didn't get him new. He's not huge, but definitely not little - about 5 inches long! I love having him, because my mother's favorite animal is the wolverine, and I haven't seen very many toy depictions of them in my life.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Bonnie wrote:
So wonderful that you discovered your old collection- so many treasures, different brands, different species! cheers cheers
Your LPS dogs are so sweet, especially as they are vintage! Very Happy The modern ones seem to be much more exaggerated than these previous ones- but are still collectibles and very popular it seems!
Ugh, the new LPS are definitely not my thing, which is fine I suppose since they are not marketed to 36 year olds.  Laughing  I miss the more realistic proportions of all "cartoon" toys. Most you can't even tell what kind of animal they are meant to be a cartoon of. Same thing with collecting My Little Pony - they've just gone over the deep end, design wise, and they were never realistic to begin with!

Quote :
I love your Puppy in my Pockets too- these models are soooo wonderful! cheers As I said before I love the Collie- usually models made of this breed are sable and white so it's a lovely change to have this tricolour colouring! Very Happy And you even have one of the Precious Puppies by Topps in that bundle- the one covered with paint, I think he's lost his paint brush though! He's dog number 20, a pointer called Rainbow! I love you
Oh, thanks so much for placing that little guy! I had a feeling he wasn't Puppy in my Pocket, but I couldn't figure out what else he would be! I know I had more of both lines as a kid, but they are no doubt scattered across the US now, as I did just as suggested and carried them around in my pockets, haha.

Quote :
For the unidentified models, I don't know much about non-dog figures, but I think that you have the K&M/ Wild Republic zoo tube
Ah, thank you! I know they did come in a tube, so I assume that's them! :)

Quote :
That lovely little red dog is a Schleich Mini, a Chow Chow- so definitely a highly collectible model!  cheers
Wow, how crazy! I had no idea they made those! I love these itty bitty sizes.

Quote :
The four dogs in the photo below are wonderful, and by Hang Shun Toys! They made a series of 12 different dogs, amazing that you have these three because I think these were only sold for a year (2007-2008) and Chinese brands like this have made some lovely models that I am struggling to find now! The only dog I have from this set is a Golden Retriever- similar style to them but painted orange! Shocked
Ah, thanks! Very Happy They do have wonderful detail. Love the dachshund's expression.

Quote :
For the cheap hard plastic animals I think you will find they are mostly marked Hong Kong? Very Happy Here I think we generally just call them vintage Hong Kong models! So the two collies I think are these brands, I have the yellow one who is also marked with Hong Kong! And I think the Borzoi is also by a Hong Kong company, if I remember correctly by a series called Dogs of the World- but I can't quite remember the exact name of the manufacturer! study
It helped very much, thanks for applying your dog-figure knowledge to my collection. :)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 pm

Jill wrote:
Bonnie wrote:
Ugh, the new LPS are definitely not my thing, which is fine I suppose since they are not marketed to 36 year olds.  Laughing  I miss the more realistic proportions of all "cartoon" toys. Most you can't even tell what kind of animal they are meant to be a cartoon of. Same thing with collecting My Little Pony - they've just gone over the deep end, design wise, and they were never realistic to begin with!

Quote :
Oh, thanks so much for placing that little guy! I had a feeling he wasn't Puppy in my Pocket, but I couldn't figure out what else he would be! I know I had more of both lines as a kid, but they are no doubt scattered across the US now, as I did just as suggested and carried them around in my pockets, haha.

Quote :
For the unidentified models, I don't know much about non-dog figures, but I think that you have the K&M/ Wild Republic zoo tube
Ah, thank you! I know they did come in a tube, so I assume that's them! :)

Quote :
That lovely little red dog is a Schleich Mini, a Chow Chow- so definitely a highly collectible model!  cheers
Wow, how crazy! I had no idea they made those! I love these itty bitty sizes.

Quote :
Ah, thanks! Very Happy They do have wonderful detail. Love the dachshund's expression.

Quote :
It helped very much, thanks for applying your dog-figure knowledge to my collection. :)
So glad it all helped! Very Happy cheers  And I definitely agree, some cartoon models these days are so exaggerated that for some it can be tricky to even recognise what animal they are supposed to represent! Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 7:17 pm

Wonderful childhood figures Very Happy Applause

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 7:34 pm

It's lovely how you've got your original animalsa, rather than having to start from scratch and re-find the ones you remember owning!
I don't think I still have any animal figures from my childhood, I didn't get my first model horse til I was 15 so there's no very played-with herd to dig out of storage, I was already old enough to think of them as collectables and they've been on display ever since!

I know when I was really little I had a bucket of Britains (or Britains knock-off!) wildlife which I did play with in the garden, but reckon they must have got rehomed at a jumble sale at some point - it's got to be nearly 30 years since I last saw them, so they either got sold on, or possibly went in the loft, that black hole of dust and dead mouse bits that nothing stored ever comes back from Laughing
Maybe some animals from my childhood are currently in the hands of collectors who love 70s and 80s vintage!

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 pm

This is quite impressive actually. First, because you saved all these models during these years. Then, because it illustrates the proficuous North American market during your childhood.
We don't see often some of these early Safari models, it was a huge adventure to sort them on TAW. Such an important brand didn't have a single online source for collectors until the Wiki and many figures were almost unknown.
I hope you will provide pictures of the Funrise models for TAW. We have only a few and they are quite fun to sort.
Those K&M AZA models are not easy to get and you have that otter.
I believe among your unmarked, there are a few more from Wild Republic as Bonnie pointed and many Hong Kong figures too. A few very interesting things to be checked later again.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Thank you, everyone!

George wrote:
It's lovely how you've got your original animalsa, rather than having to start from scratch and re-find the ones you remember owning!
I only got rid of anything under duress, or if I destroyed it (which was often), or if I lost it (which was also often, because I had a penchant for burying toys and immediately forgetting where they were). Somewhere in a campground in Wyoming, there is a Funrise mustang buried in a campsite.

Quote :
Maybe some animals from my childhood are currently in the hands of collectors who love 70s and 80s vintage!
That's a lovely thought! :) Maybe someone dug up my mustang! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 pm

Roger wrote:
This is quite impressive actually. First, because you saved all these models during these years. Then, because it illustrates the proficuous North American market during your childhood.
There were, just, a TON of plastic animals in shops when I was a kid. I guess I was very spoiled that way! It's not that way now. I miss the zoo gift shops of old, when there were bins for each species, with the giant Safari LTD giraffes and tigers and what not on the top shelves . . .

It's mostly plushes now, which I also enjoy, but it just not the same feeling.

Quote :
We don't see often some of these early Safari models, it was a huge adventure to sort them on TAW. Such an important brand didn't have a single online source for collectors until the Wiki and many figures were almost unknown.
I hope you will provide pictures of the Funrise models for TAW. We have only a few and they are quite fun to sort.
I would love to! You may have noticed I like getting photos of them. I intend to refurbish and recreate my funrise horse collection (and maybe replace that goat and sheep, they were well loved. The leopard isn't so bad). Perhaps I'll wait to get photos until I have nicer animals to photograph!

Back to top Go down
Dutch Bear

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 7:55 am

A black polar bear cyclops
I have several versions/copies of that Britains model, even one in black painted metal, but i have never seen one of plastic.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] / [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm

Dutch Bear wrote:
A black polar bear cyclops
I have several versions/copies of that Britains model, even one in black painted metal, but i have never seen one of plastic.
I believe that one was from the Noah's Ark set! I think I had a matching set, or possibly the mate was in the walking polar bear mold. (Or possibly I have both of them because they were a badly matched set, black and white, I honestly can't remember!)
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm

The little group of horses and foals-the pinto and the greys-are by Toy Major as I have them as Appaloosas.Great collection of models.I love the ERTL Percheron-they used to be so easily to find at one point but sadly no longer except in the USA.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box EmptyWed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 am

Taos wrote:
The little group of horses and foals-the pinto and the greys-are by Toy Major as I have them as Appaloosas.Great collection of models.I love the ERTL Percheron-they used to be so easily to find at one point but sadly no longer except in the USA.
Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unpacked my childhood box   Unpacked my childhood box Empty

Back to top Go down

Unpacked my childhood box
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collections-
Jump to: