Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!

Go down 
+2
Bonnie
Roger
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
George

George

Country/State : England

horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 10:51 am

Hmm, we don't have any horse colours called tan in English, bay with a cream gene is called buckskin.

I've only heard Isabella to refer to the palest palominos, it's not genetically any different from any of the brighter copper-coloured palominos (single cream gene on chestnut) but just a nickname for the palest shades - the story is Isabella of Spain liked that colour, so they were named in her honour.

This mustang model doesn't look like either though, a palomino wouldn't have a dark mane and tail, and a buckskin would have dark legs.
I suspect paintjob design by someone who didn't really know horse colours that well, and just thought some brown ones have black hair, we'll paint that Laughing

Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 11:57 pm

In my Toy Major information quest, I found this - possibly the origins of this set? These look like the originals, the one we have the complete set of on TAW.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Their packaging matches this (at least the Horse Collection logo), where we can see the Toy Major label, and the seller listed them as Toy Major. So even though I can't find Toy Major on the package because of how the photos are cropped, I feel like it's fairly safe to assume that it DOES say Toy Major, off frame? Perhaps?

Sorry to have only other people's ebay photos as reference! But I have been anxiously watching for these guys to show up in package somewhere. (Unfortunately I cannot buy them with the shipping cost from Australia . . . but I know what I'm looking for now!)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 12:12 am

What a wonderful detective work you're doing. I was just checking the breeds you posted [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and immediately I moved to this topic because the breeds are the exact same. Some designs are also very similar even if strangely the larger horses seem less faithful to some breeds.
As I posted on the 1994 topic, I am convinced the smaller Toy Major figures are not marked with the T.M. logo. With those evidences, it is clear for me those are Toy Major. Yes, it means I will rename all these models but that's the goal, to find the most accurate information as possible. cheers

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 12:27 am

Now that you mention it, the better painted versions of this small set I have found so far seem to match the big horses somewhat - the mustang in particular with the tall back stockings and the orangeish body and black hair. I thought he looked familiar!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 2:19 am

The two Mustangs and the two Budyonny - undeniable relationship! Wink

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 2:51 pm

Jill wrote:

lol! Sure, I am surprised how much a horse can grow in a single year. Shocked
Certainly the Budyonny was the link between sets for me because it is a breed we never see in toy shape. Also, they are very similar.
An interesting point about these two sets is that the smaller ones have 12 different moulds while the larger ones use only six. It may explain why the smaller ones are marked with breed name while the larger models are just marked horse. It is not impossible to use different markings for the same mould but the manufacturing process gets siimplified when the markings are the same.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 24, 2022 12:14 am

Roger wrote:
Jill wrote:

I feed them well

Quote :
Certainly the Budyonny was the link between sets for me because it is a breed we never see in toy shape. Also, they are very similar.
That true, it feels like one of Funrise's obscure breeds. Interesting they would choose to represent a little known breed and still somehow get the common ones like Clydesdale so utterly wrong. Laughing

Quote :
An interesting point about these two sets is that the smaller ones have 12 different moulds while the larger ones use only six. It may explain why the smaller ones are marked with breed name while the larger models are just marked horse.  It is not impossible to use different markings for the same mould but the manufacturing process gets simplified when the markings are the same.
I feel like the smaller ones are more accurate, too. The draft horses at least actually look like draft horses. So maybe the small set was first, and the list of breeds already existed, and they applied it to a more generic set of horses as well.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 24, 2022 12:48 am

Jill wrote:
Roger wrote:
Jill wrote:

I feed them well

Quote :
That true, it feels like one of Funrise's obscure breeds. Interesting they would choose to represent a little known breed and still somehow get the common ones like Clydesdale so utterly wrong.  Laughing

Quote :
An interesting point about these two sets is that the smaller ones have 12 different moulds while the larger ones use only six. It may explain why the smaller ones are marked with breed name while the larger models are just marked horse.  It is not impossible to use different markings for the same mould but the manufacturing process gets simplified when the markings are the same.
I feel like the smaller ones are more accurate, too. The draft horses at least actually look like draft horses. So maybe the small set was first, and the list of breeds already existed, and they applied it to a more generic set of horses as well.

I agree with all, especially with the fact that you feed well your horses. Laughing
Actually, those small horses are quite acceptable for their breeds. At least they knew what they were doing. Toy Major is a manufacturer, they have a lot of "already" designed products that other companies specifications are more about color and material. Though, a big part are also designs according with the exact specifications of their clients. I am convinced it was what happened with Funrise. I don't believe Toy Major had so many breeds in their catalogue, likely Funrise presented a project and Toy Major adapted to their own production methods and resources. It was probably also what happened with this 1993 set, it was probably released specifically to a brand and they adapted it to larger moulds in 1994. When they use the same mould for a Mustang and a Percheron or the pair of a Lipizzaner with a Clydesdale, it is quite bizarre. Maybe it was acceptable the same mould for a Lipi and an Andalusian, for instance but they clearly were much more interested in releasing differently colored horses, I guess. Play Visions is not a horse oriented brand, they even merged these horses with their Minis in the part of the catalogue dedicated to cheaper stuff.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 10, 2022 7:28 pm

Two more! More miniatures of the larger Toy Major set. Very Happy

Andalusian E

Anglo-Arab G
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2022 9:21 pm

George wrote:
Hmm, we don't have any horse colours called tan in English, bay with a cream gene is called buckskin.

I've only heard Isabella to refer to the palest palominos, it's not genetically any different from any of the brighter copper-coloured palominos (single cream gene on chestnut) but just a nickname for the palest shades - the story is Isabella of Spain liked that colour, so they were named in her honour.

This mustang model doesn't look like either though, a palomino wouldn't have a dark mane and tail, and a buckskin would have dark legs.
I suspect paintjob design by someone who didn't really know horse colours that well, and just thought some brown ones have black hair, we'll paint that Laughing

OK, so the english name for "Isabelle" coat color is "Buckskin". I'll try to remember that.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2022 11:56 pm

All these Toy Major horse pairs are wonderful! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 12, 2023 5:37 am

So, I found this today while looking for tiny horse stuff. A different packaging of the same horses of the original Toy Major set (well, four of them, just like that set but not the same four). These were apparently made by Boley. I don't know if that means anything, or if it's still likely Toy Major making them and Boley is just a brand name. Unfortunately there was only one poorly cropped picture on the ad.

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 8:31 pm

Jill wrote:
So, I found this today while looking for tiny horse stuff. A different packaging of the same horses of the original Toy Major set (well, four of them, just like that set but not the same four). These were apparently made by Boley. I don't know if that means anything, or if it's still likely Toy Major making them and Boley is just a brand name. Unfortunately there was only one poorly cropped picture on the ad.

Do you know WHAT YEAR this package was released? Did you see a release date on it?
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 3:02 pm

The date on the tiny lettering on the package says 1995 but no other information or photos were provided.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 10:24 pm

Likely this is another set around the same moulds. Toy Major 1993 designs manufactured for Boley and released in 1995.

PostSubject: Re: Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!   horses - Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who knows about this intringuing and misterious horses set?... Toy Major!!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2