Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas

Go down 
+8
rogerpgvg
LukaLeon085
Roger
Bonnie
spacelab
widukind
George
RtasVadumee
12 posters
AuthorMessage
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas Empty
PostSubject: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptySat May 01, 2021 12:59 pm

Here we are.

As soon as it was officially anounced, I swore before holy Diana that I would be the first one here to buy and show what I was deeply convinced to be the future 2021 STS figure of the year, the CollectA basking shark cheers

I mean, that model had everything to be an absolute must-have even before being released :
- ABC, absolutely impressive, charismatic species yet rarely and, in my opinion never decently represented
- Open-mouthed pose that had already prove its worth with the praised Papo whale shark
- Good size
- CollectA branded, a token of quality these days

Unfortunately for me, new member Loon was officially the first to show it with a wonderful display on his collection topic. People asked him a walkaround but, fortunately this time, he didn't fulfill their wishes Twisted Evil

So, here is now for you dear fellow collectors, the beauty from every angle !
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm usually very (too) talkative but this time, I don't really know what to say. I have always felt like the formula "a picture is worth a thousand words" was merely a lazy excuse but I don't see anything constructive about repeating "it's good", "it's amazing", "it's a masterpiece" in fifty different ways to fill my topic. Anyone who has already seen a basking shark in documentaries will understand at first sight that this model got everything perfectly :
- The general long and tapered silhouette, wide and massive at the head level, narrowing progressively until becoming extremely thin when it reaches the caudal fin : checked.
To the contrary, the shorter Safari rendition quite don't render that narrowing feeling, or at least not as much.
- The shape of the gills, incurved to the back at the top : checked.
Again, the gills' shape is totally random on the Safari model.

- The exact shape of the mouth when it's open, including the hollow at the cheeks' level : checked on both models but more subtly on the CollectA in my opinion.
- The long but rounded nose and the exact distance between its extremity and the eyes : checked.
In comparison, the Safari model has an inaccurately short and sharp snout. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
- Unlike what we likely all thought from promo pics, the eyes of the CollectA model are not full black dots but are actually circled like those of the Safari rendition. Yet, in a much subtler way respecting the proportions between iris and sclera and with no striking white circle making it look like a bloody cod !

-The inside of the mouth however, despite being one of the most impressive features of the figure when you first take it out of the package, may not be the most successful part of the model, at least on my sample whose paintjob is quite "dirty" while it should be as clean as on the Safari rendition :

So, finally, I had a few things to say about that shark and the initial feeling of incredible likelyness to the real beast could actually be explained by the obsession of surgical accuracy CollectA's sculptors put in every aspect of this model.

But the general realism and aesthetism of the figure is not its only quality. Nowadays, major brands seem quite reluctant to produce sealife figures as large as in the past and I believe that there is no much hope to see M+B sized whales again for example (except the same moulds reused by other brands of course). Yet, the basking shark is the second largest cartilaginous fish in the world, this is a feature that strongly defines it in our minds, so a toy replica of it has to respect that size hierarchy and rank just after the whale shark but before any other one.

I often said that CollectA was the most compatible brand with Schleich as far as size was concerned. I do believe that CollectA has the size compatibility issue in mind when designing their figures. They release mostly unusual, obscure and threatened species, they are an elitist brand which is aware that their main customers are collectors and animal lovers like us rather than children in my opinion. So, they tend to be convenient with size, unlike Safari that doesn't give a shit for example.

Once more, CollectA was kind enough to care about our shelves and display cases and release a monster perfectly compatible with our other sharks. It's 22.5 cm and, when I took it out of the package, I first thought it was a little big. But in fact, it's just the perfect when compared with other sealife figures.

Most of you here use the Papo open-mouthed model as your whale shark which is 24 cm long. Considering that a whale shark in the wild measures 4 to 14 metres (exceptionally reaching 18 m) while a basking shark's length is rather 8 metres on average (exceptionally reaching 12 m), the CollectA model just scales well with the Papo used as medium-sized specimen.

However, any zoology redneck like me will be tempted to show ostentatiously the gigantism of the whale shark within his/her collection. In that respect, the size difference is thus maybe even better with the M+B whale shark sold by Schleich in the 2000s.

Finally, one may also be interested in a comparison with the third plankton-eating shark, the megamouth, as some scientists believe that both may belong to the same family. Considering a 6 m length for that species, the size difference is again allright.

That last pic gives me the opportunity to say a few words about the paintjob as I see some similarities between both models. I already said it, Safari is the boss when it comes to render the skin of sharks and that megamouth is one of their brilliant examples. CollectA did a great job too by managing to make its basking model's skin look rough and mate like it should be, unlike the plain and glossy Safari figure. I think you already understood it, the Safari basking makes no honour to the very good sharks line of that brand in my opinion.

As a conclusion, the “CollectA masterpiece label” should definitely be given to that new jewel. I would even go further by saying that it might be the best shark figure by major brands up to date. Of course, that's very subjective, there is such a diversity of species and it would be absurd to compare the wobbegong from Schleich with the basking shark from CollectA and try to figure out which one is better. But I do think that the winner of that completely biased and irrelevant contest of mine should be something impressive, something big. So, the only contenders would be the great white, the whale and the basking shark.

Even though I think that the M+B great white model is tremendous, it does not quite reach the level of Papo whale shark and CollectA basking shark in my opinion. And between these two, the basking has to be the winner because of its CollectA finish as opposed to the plainer Papo texture and paintjob of the whale cousin. And also because the species is more exciting, lesser-known but still famous, much rarer in toy form, long awaited at a good size and closer to us, Europeans, as it haunts the cold waters of our seas. When expectations are high, the risk of being greatly disappointed and hating the final outcome of something you've long desired is high too. But CollectA managed once again to meet our crazy expectations, confirming its status as best big brand for animal replicas.

Finally, I'm taking the opportunity provided by this topic to show you another model I bought several months ago but never presented on forum : the Papo baby whale shark.

Here, you can see it with Schleich mom wile Papo daddy is swimming nearby. Indeed, as it almost always happens with sharks and rays, females are larger than males.

In Rtas' collection, even sharks are in family Razz

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptySat May 01, 2021 1:15 pm

This is gorgeous, I don't collect sharks but when the models are this accurate and nicely done, I can't help but admire them!
Also really like the family picture at the end, I think compiling families all through different species is one of the nicest aspects of collecting I've learnt since joining this forum (since I come from horse collecting, where our general aim seems to be getting as many different colours and moulds as humanly possible with not a thought for how many duplicates or orphan/singles of a breed this creates, heh)

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptySat May 01, 2021 1:22 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptySat May 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Excellent walkaround, including everything I wanted to know before ordering this beast.

RtasVadumee wrote:
I do believe that CollectA has the size compatibility issue in mind when designing their figures. They release mostly unusual, obscure and threatened species, they are an elitist brand which is aware that their main customers are collectors and animal lovers like us rather than children in my opinion. So, they tend to be convenient with size, unlike Safari that doesn't give a shit for example.

Once more, CollectA was kind enough to care about our shelves and display cases and release a monster perfectly compatible with our other sharks. It's 22.5 cm and, when I took it out of the package, I first thought it was a little big. But in fact, it's just the perfect when compared with other sealife figures.

Yes, you are right! As you know I only recently started collecting sea-life and I had many options. So I made an XL file with sizes of the real species and every brands models in comparison. It's impressive how consistent Collecta is in having its sea-life models in an almost perfect size hierarchy according to the real thing. I think I was talking to Roger about this. So, in this case, the Basking Shark is 2cm smaller than the whale shark and 2cm larger than the great white. A pleasure to the eyes.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptySat May 01, 2021 2:42 pm

This model definitely deserves to be called a masterpiece, every angle is beautiful with such amazing detail and accuracy! cheers cheers
CollectA are fantastic, I just love how they still produce realistic animals that satisfy collectors and that look almost as beautiful as the official photos! This is certainly a must-have and a big contender for animal figure of the year!
This model turned out perfectly which makes me so hopeful for their dogs- these two are stunning in the photos and I'm sure they will now be stunning in real life! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptySat May 01, 2021 9:26 pm

That's a stupendous topic for a perfect model. I enjoyed reading it and I agree with everything. Safari made its work for 13 years but now we have a basking shark from another league.
I love all these comparisons, I think the only excuse acceptable to not get this model is if we do not collect sharks... and I have my doubts if it is a good excuse. I added it and a link to the topic on TAW. Now it is missing a picture of the Papo whale shark calf. :)

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptySun May 02, 2021 11:08 am

Wonderful cheers drunken Applause

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptyWed May 05, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm glad that walkaround was useful to some of you !

Indeed Bonnie, I really hope that shark will win the contest because if it doesn't, the D4rk Lord said he would burn this forum and since he cannot take a physical shape since his banishment and I am his servile henchman, he will likely force me to do it for him. I love this place so please vote for the shark next year ! Laughing

Roger, I will try to send you pics in the evening and answer your last PM, sorry I worked a lot on the Japanese updates and did not have time to answer you.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptyWed May 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Thanks for this great review! Beautifully made shark and I am very happy that its size is perfect for my 1:32 collection. I am hoping to get one soon.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptyWed May 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Thank you for these useful walkaroud and comparison pictures! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptyWed May 05, 2021 8:27 pm

Caracal wrote:
Thank you for these useful walkaroud and comparison pictures! cheers cheers

Very Happy cheers Applause drunken study
Back to top Go down
Steve170

Steve170

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptyFri May 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Brilliant walkaround thank you. I particularly value the comparison photos with the living animal! Very handy.

I have been waiting for this basking shark more than anything else released in 2021. Hoped it was a little smaller or maybe moreso I hoped the papo whale shark was a bit bigger...but its fine, they are just at different stages of their lives.

Awaiting stock...

Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas EmptyFri May 07, 2021 11:36 pm

I like sharks and this is a nice one.

PostSubject: Re: The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas   The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas Empty

Back to top Go down

The CollectA 88914 Basking Shark : A walkaround by Rtas
Page 1 of 1