Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April

Go down 
+17
thebritfarmer
costicuba
bmathison1972
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Joliezac
Bonnie
George
Kikimalou
spacelab
sunny
Ana
Caracal
RtasVadumee
Saarlooswolfhound
Roger
SUSANNE
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 6:51 pm

Congrats

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 7:01 pm

Very interesting, I love the story of Cody's wish and the figurine is very beautiful. drunken
You mention a photo of the real Full Moon Rising but it's not visible.
What you say about the Schleich horses of the year confirms my impression. On the wild animals too, the too Cute side is much less present in 2024.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 9:05 pm

I like how much attention the fjord is getting recently from different brands. :) Congrats on these lovely new additions!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:35 pm

I have also commented that the latest horses from Schleich have been showing superior quality when compared to the immediately preceding years. However, it is different when someone much more informed about the subject expresses this idea. Although I have hardly bought any horses lately, it's good to know that this popular brand is once again producing figures with the quality that its devoted followers deserve. Breyer horses are always characterized by extreme elegance, devoid of any features that could identify them as toys, also because they are not.

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 2:16 pm

widukind wrote:
Congrats

Thanks!

Kikimalou wrote:
Very interesting, I love the story of Cody's wish and the figurine is very beautiful.  drunken
You mention a photo of the real Full Moon Rising but it's not visible.
What you say about the Schleich horses of the year confirms my impression. On the wild animals too, the too Cute side is much less present in 2024.

Yes, I'm really glad they made the model on such a handsome mould, so I didn't have any difficult decision to make over whether I wanted to buy him cos of the story but didn't like the sculpt they'd chosen!

The photo was posted as a link, out of respect for copyright - I never post images in-message from another person/company's URL (terrible internet-manners to do that!), so I share with a clickable link instead. I'll try to highlight the text to make the linked word stand out more in future - here is the Full Moon Rising photo again incase you still want a look at him!

Jill wrote:
I like how much attention the fjord is getting recently from different brands. :) Congrats on these lovely new additions!

Yes, it's so nice to see them being released with new sculpts, I know most brands have done them at least once before but figures get outdated or retire and we end up with not many left on the market til they bring out a new version!

Roger wrote:
I have also commented that the latest horses from Schleich have been showing superior quality when compared to the immediately preceding years. However, it is different when someone much more informed about the subject expresses this idea. Although I have hardly bought any horses lately, it's good to know that this popular brand is once again producing figures with the quality that its devoted followers deserve. Breyer horses are always characterized by extreme elegance, devoid of any features that could identify them as toys, also because they are not.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to really go into what's good about these, and what the faults of the previous style were - no point just saying over and over again that I don't think recent Schleich were good, unless I describe WHAT was bad, and likewise it isn't very informative to just say 'this one's better' without picking out what exactly the improvements are. Especially being aware that the majority of collectors on here are more into wildlife and not necessarily familiar with horse anatomy and movement, so if my reviews and critiques can be informative, that makes them way more worth writing!

Last edited by George on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://harecrofthorses.blogspot.com/
George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 2:32 pm

When I got the WIA 'Niklas' Friesian recently, I went to add him to the breed's page on my website, and in scrolling through all the other Friesians realised I still hadn't got round to adding the pair by Mojo Fun, so I placed a little order (direct through Mojo on Ebay is the cheapest, as you get 20% off if you order more than two models, and free postage too) - here they are!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The mare, very sweet-looking and a really good pose, with their famously flashy trot most action-pose Friesian figures are done in that gait, so it's nice to have the variety of a cantering one. She's got some reddish brown in her coat, rather than being jet black, and I think the shade of them does vary - the example on Toy Animal Wiki looks almost bay, but mine is much darker.

And here's the gelding - for some reason I always thought he was listed as a stallion, probably just cos most brands do make a mare/stallion pair whenever they do more than one of the same breed, but I checked and both the item description on Mojo's site, and the anatomy of the figure himself, agree that he's a gelding!

A really handsome pose, with a super-long mane and alert expression. He's a true black, in contrast to the mare.

And just because it was irresistibly sweet, I added an unrelated foal to the order too - the little Hanoverian has come to join the herd (I do have the matching mare already, the Friesians don't have to adopt Laughing )

George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 pm

A few new and second hand models to update - these didn't all arrive today, but I've got really bad at keeping up with posting them, so this is a batch post to summarise everything from this spring Laughing

A regular run portrait model from 2010, I never bought Fleet Street Max first time round and can't even remember why - perhaps there were other models I wanted more in his year, or maybe I just didn't get round to it before he was retired?
Most regular runs stay in the catalogue for several years in a row, or even longer - just did a quick scan down the list for the oldest still on sale, and they currently have horses which first came out in 2009, 2012, and 2013! This usually gives collectors plenty of time to order all the ones we like, but for some reason Max never carried over into the following catalogues, even though he wasn't described as being a limited edition. So I suspect the reason I didn't buy him was purely down to missing out during the brief time he was available, and not for any lack of liking the look of him!
This one popped up on Ebay for a total bargain price, I thought I'd take my chance to get him after all.

I really like his markings, I find the ones copied from a real horse tend to have shapes and placements that someone just designing a made-up paintjob for aesthetic appeal, wouldn't necessarily have come up with - they're more asymmetric, less balanced, there'll bee 'too much' white on one side and 'not enough' on the other, but it's that very lack of artistic design which makes the markings and patterns so much more appealing! His blue eye stands out very well, not all regular runs get colours painted in but they do make a deliberate effort when the eyes are a more unusual colour, and essential to capturing the likeness in a portrait paintjob!

I've named him Snow Moon, cos he arrived on the February full moon traditionally known by that name, and it seemed such a good fit for him!

Next month, I got two of the brand new 2024 models. I've found that ordering them from Germany is SO much cheaper than paying UK prices, and also removes all doubt and concern about if/when they'll ever be in stock here, or whether I'd even catch the ones I like before they sold out. Although it's a shame not to buy much from UK dealers I know online, it's become a budget-conscious and practical decision to import them instead. When I can get two Traditionals together for just over £60 from Germany, or wait months, not knowing if I'll ever own the horses I like, and then pay £50-60 EACH, then I'm afraid I'm going for the cheaper easier option every time.

This is Atlanta, a portrait model of a record-breaking Standardbred race mare from the USA. The sculpt is very new, only having been used for a pricey and exclusive club model and a Breyerfest special, so I was surprised to see it reach the regular run line this fast!
Here you can see the clear plastic stand which holds the model very steady on the shelf despite the dynamic pose, but I don't like the way they spoil photos, so for the rest of the shots, I fitted it underneath my fake grass!

Here she is again, stand concealed, flying along at top speed! I only realised when the model arrived in-hand, that she's a trotting Standardbred, rather than a pacing one - the legs are posed in diagonal pairs, rather than both legs on the same side being forward at the same time.

Her colour's a bit plain, but given enough shading to look deep and natural, rather than too monotonous, with some really rich highlights, and of course the white markings help with adding detail and interest, too.

I prefer this side for her pose, but the light was terrible and the garden too flooded to drag the chair around and face her the other way Laughing You can also see the freeze brand mark on her neck, racehorses here are identified and checked by microchip scanning at the course, but all the Standardbreds seem to have a visible freezemark in photos, so I think they use that method instead.

Again, struggling with the light a lot, I might try again in mid summer when the angles aren't so tricky to keep the horse's shadow off the background.

And here's my other 2024 purchase so far, Cossaco - a Lusitano champion which has for some reason been made on the Barb (Moroccan/North African) mould, rather than a truly Iberian one! He's a gorgeous model, but I'm changing the breed of mine, to better suit the build and conformation, and the pretty neat little head. Lusitanos are beautiful, noble-looking and extremely handsome horses, but no-one would ever call them pretty! So I'm going to show mine as either an Arabian x Lusitano first generation crossbred, or maybe a Hispano-Arabian, which is a long term crossing of Arab and Andalusian horses in varying percentages over any number of generations, with a studbook registry of their own.

Another mould making it's debut in the regular run line, after just the Premier club initial release, and a Breyerfest special. It's brilliant that Breyer are finally letting the exciting new sculpts out into the world so much sooner, so anyone who can't afford to buy in to the whole must-have club ethos, and/or spend big money on the US resale market for all the special runs and exclusives, can still feel like we can get nice things, and not be such second-class collectors.

I love the Barb mould, it's great to see one at long last, after much neglect from nearly all the model horse companies. This breed was hugely influential in European horse breeding through the 17th and 18th century, with several Barb stallions being used at the royal studs, and for the forerunner of dressage. The Duke of Newcastle, who wrote books on horse training and a very precise and technical riding style, owned, rode, and bred from Barb stallions along with a certain preferred type of Spanish horse (which became the modern PRE or Andalusian), and the now extinct Neapolitan. So they're seen surprisingly often in art from the era - if you pay great attention, you can even trace horses by name or distinctive markings, all through his writing and book illustrations, including some which survived his exile during the English civil war for being a Royalist, and some individuals which he bought out there and then brought home with him when the Monarchy was restored, and he came back to re-start his stud and riding school.
So it's a pity, as a fan of the breed and having studied it's involvement in the history of British horsemanship too, that I have a model in a colour a purebred Barb cannot be! Laughing

He's a bit smaller than I was expecting, not as big as a typical Traditional Breyer at all, but looks so full of presence and spirit that he'd be the sort of horse who doesn't know he's small and will show off at, or threaten, much bigger stallions!
Some people have noted really bad moulding flaws on this mould, on the curve of the neck just below where the mane starts - you can see slight subtle dimple-lines on mine in the right light, but if there was ever a rougher lumpy/jagged seam, then it's been carefully buffed down smooth before painting. So I think it's a case of how much care's been taken by each individual handling this stage of the manufacture, and maybe some batches were rushed more than others?

His beautiful flowing mane, windswept but in a natural weighty way, it's been given a lot of texture and not overly stylised and smoothed.

And now, some Stablemates models, from 2009.

Gendered packaging sucks, by the way, Breyer. Neither model collecting nor real ponies are for 'gals' only, and not all girls like pink anyway, so deliberately branding these special runs as the pink ones for girls is a really bad choice, heavily backing up sexism and gender stereotypes for the intended child audience, and probably annoying some of the adult buyers too.

The G3 Stock Horse mould, in a different chestnut Appaloosa than last year's regular run.

My favourite of these four, the G3 Rearing Andalusian mould, in palomino and sold as a Lusitano instead

Another G3 mould, the Tennessee Walking Horse, in chestnut roan

And the G2 Thoroughbred in pale grey - I've already got a grey, but not this grey, and there's something about Stablemates which makes it perfectly ok to have loads of the same mould/colour combination as long as they're sliiightly different Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 11:59 pm

Very beautiful all of them and your pictures are always perfect! As a Portuguese I need to know why Lusitanos are made over other breed molds? Laughing
I know I've seen that rearing one before. I'm not familiar with most of these models anyway.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:49 pm

Wonderful additions.I agree about Stablemates!The Lusitano model is really lovely with the sweeping mane and tail!

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 10:34 pm

Beautiful additions. Snow Moon looks especially good to me, and I always like running horses so Atlanta is amazing too. I am very happy that you say that it is perfectly OK to have loads of the same Stablemate mould/colour combinations because I bought two pink girls' horses from the same seller Very Happy. Different from yours even though the rearing Lusitano and running thoroughbred are among my favourite Stablemates. Can thoroughbreds be grey?

Last edited by rogerpgvg on Wed May 01, 2024 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyWed May 01, 2024 2:14 am

Great choices! I love Cossaco and Atlanta. I think I will add at least Cossaco eventually. It's a beautiful mold and in a good color. I too was surprised to see these molds so early. It's a nice trend!

(I couldn't agree with you more about Breyer's packaging, ugh. They have always targeted a girl market but they seem to have leaned into it even more heavily than when I was a kid.)
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 1:49 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Can thoroughbreds be grey?

Yes, they can. Because all of them start out dark and grey gradually (with each moult of the coat in spring and autumn, it grows back with a higher ratio of white hairs to coloured hairs), a lot of racehorses have retired before they look fully white-grey like this model, so dappled greys are seen more often. But occasionally you get one which greys faster, or has a longer career, and is still racing when their coat has reached the white stage. Desert Orchid is a famous example, more recently Neptune Collonges won the Grand National while he still had some dark colour in his mane, tail, and a bit on his legs, but after retirement he's gone on to a second career visiting hospitals and care homes and charity events, and is now pale all over. I saw him parade as a special guest at Burghley once Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April   mojo - General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Additions thread - Recent additions, from February to April
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16