Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Big (good) Red Wolf News!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Big (good) Red Wolf News! Empty
PostSubject: Big (good) Red Wolf News!   Big (good) Red Wolf News! EmptyThu May 13, 2021 3:35 am

More red wolves released into the wild! Check out the article!

"This collaborative effort is the first time since 1998 that adult American red wolves were released directly into the recovery area of Eastern North Carolina from managed care facilities and is the first time since 2014 that red wolf pups have been fostered into the wild from managed care facilities."

I'm sure many of you follow endangered species conservation efforts, and this one is particularly close to my heart (and home). The facility where I work is a part of the Red Wolf Species Survival Plan, and though it doesn't sound like big numbers, the wild numbers of red wolves had dropped significantly during a long legal foray regarding the continuation of the program. Only 10 were known to remain in the wild in February of this year. The fact that they have moved forward to not only fostering pups but to releasing adult wolves is a huge step, and an extremely hopeful one.

I've actually been through Alligator River, but of course, did not see any red wolves. I have seen them in the wild, though, one time! I was maybe seven or eight. The then experimental population had been released into Cades Cove in Tennessee (very near where I lived at the time), and my mother and I were visiting when one ran across the road. We only knew it for what it was because of the radio collar. We also heard them howling when we camped the night! Unfortunately, that population didn't do well, and North Carolina is the only place left for them in the wild.

It's great news to get this year, when we've had a rough spring with our own breeding pair. Our spirits needed some bolstering for sure. To be sure, the population at Alligator River is still far from secure and the disputes over land and livestock probably won't ever be entirely solved, but this is a step in the right direction at least.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Big (good) Red Wolf News!   Big (good) Red Wolf News! EmptyThu May 13, 2021 3:54 am

Such exciting news! So good to hear the program is still trying to keep the population going as I had heard of all the legal trouble in the area/around this species. I hope this effort continues and the species can thrive someday! I would love to see one in my lifetime in its wild habitat.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Big (good) Red Wolf News!   Big (good) Red Wolf News! EmptyThu May 13, 2021 10:29 am

This is such good news for this wonderful species! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Big (good) Red Wolf News!   Big (good) Red Wolf News! EmptyThu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Big (good) Red Wolf News!   Big (good) Red Wolf News! EmptySun May 16, 2021 1:44 am

Great!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big (good) Red Wolf News!   Big (good) Red Wolf News! Empty

Back to top Go down

Big (good) Red Wolf News!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: What else ? :: Wildlife-
Jump to: