Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?

Go down 
+2
Chris Sweetman
Jill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  Empty
PostSubject: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptyFri May 28, 2021 11:39 pm

I got two boxes today, one a set of advertised Blue Ribbon Dogs and the others just a lot of "vintage dogs" that looked like they were also part of the set. Now that I have them in hand, there's definitely a difference between the duplicates (one from each box). Are one set real ones and the other not, or are there different versions? None of them have any stamps or logos.

I also have duplicate poodles, but they seem pretty identical.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptySat May 29, 2021 2:07 am

Sorry Jill I don't have the answer but you may be interested in this website:

https://www.marxwildwest.com/animals%20other.html#dogs

I do have the complete Champion dogs set on on a blister that is mentioned in the article and keep meaning to take some images and post them here.

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptySat May 29, 2021 2:15 am

Yes, thank you very much! That is both interesting and helpful. I can see several variations just within those pictures, especially with the basset hound. I also see both the large white-rimmed eyes and the black dot eyes in the set (though maybe not on the same dog, as I have here).

I would love to see the whole set presented together! It's really a lovely collection.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptySat May 29, 2021 9:06 am

I dont prefer dogs but it is very interesting. Marx have any phantastic figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptySat May 29, 2021 10:55 am

Oh, yes, the wonderful Marx dogs! cheers cheers I have yet to add any of these to the collection yet, but you have just reminded me how lovely they are! I love you And it would be fantastic to see all of them together as a collection!
I never knew they had variations, that's very interesting, especially with the difference in eyes! Shocked I love the shiny texture of these dogs, it reminds me a bit of Breyer- and they are so detailed considering how small they are! Very Happy And yet despite their size, I love how it's possible to instantly look at them and know their breed- this brand has definitely captured the defining features of each! cheers My eyes were immediately drawn to the Irish Terrier variation third photo from the bottom- such a realistic, beautiful representation of this more unusual breed, with that slightly curly coat, beard, and varying shades of brown in the fur! I love him, and thank you for sharing all these other lovely dogs! I love you
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptySat May 29, 2021 5:03 pm

More information about Marx dogs ..........

https://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/Marxzfarm.html

Very Happy

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptySat May 29, 2021 8:20 pm

Thank you Chris! I wonder if the variations have to do with being sold in the set together vs. individually. scratch

@Bonnie the Irish Terrier really is a handsome little lad. They are all very elegant little molds (though some of eyes are a little goofy Laughing).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks for pointing me to this topic. Chris already gave you some useful links but these variations are not easy to spot for those that are not used to collect Marx like me.
These moulds were used in several series, with different materials and finish what puts their exact identification up to an expert.
OK, they are Marx Dogs and regardless of the exact series, they are surely tiny and wonderful vintage figures.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 10:27 pm

I got some more color variations! Still unmarked, still made from the same material, still not sure which ones are actually "blue ribbon dogs" and which ones aren't. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 5:43 pm

This is so interesting! study
So many variations of these lovely dogs, I too don't know which ones are the actual models and whether any of them might be copies! They all look wonderful as a group! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 8:29 am

Hello, I have the complete Blue Ribbon Dogs from a boxed set. You can see them on the ToyAnimal Wiki at https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Marx_Dogs,_Cats_and_Pets#Blue_Ribbon_Dogs
Keep in mind that these were "Hand-Painted by Artists" so there will be variation in colors and paint quality. Some of yours clearly match mine, others look to have more aged paint or different painting. Note that the brown around the feet is glue residue from them being glued into their slots in the original cardboard packaging. They came in a large flat box with little partitions for each dog glued in. They also were available individually boxed at times. The individually boxed ones probably got the best paint and don't show the glue. Your light colored Irish Terrier is a great example and probably an indiv. boxed one form the looks of it.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Thanks Tim for your precious imput on it.
Congratulations @Jill for finding these variations, actually a few are very different.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 9:15 pm

@Tiermann thank you so much!! That's great information. I thought the brown feet might be glue, since some of them still have a bit of box stuck to them . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?    Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Marx Blue Ribbon Dogs - different variations?
Page 1 of 1