Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??

Go down 
+8
rogerpgvg
Bonnie
Chris Sweetman
Roger
widukind
pipsxlch
Saarlooswolfhound
Jill
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 4:45 am

Absolutely!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He does have a kind of dachshund-y head. Sort of looks like he's got on a weird hat.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am

Really interesting, wonderful dogs once again! cheers cheers cheers I love seeing these Japanese dog figures, they're new to me but have a distinct style which has something that I really love about it! Very Happy The Japanese Chin is really interesting, it's not often that we see these dogs except by Japanese brands and this one is very sweet! I remember meeting about 5 of these dogs at a show, all curled up in a pram, and they were so gentle and so small- just like this model! A lovely German Shepherd too, colours and pose making him clearly recognisable- but the tongue perhaps is a little long! Laughing
And a mystery Rough Collie, I can never see enough models of this breed! cheers What a sweet little face, although definitely strange, I can see why you were doubting her as being a collie! I think that this breed probably still fits best though, you can see where there is lighter paint on the underside that you see on real collies, and I think although the ears are a strange shape and a bit large they can still look like that. I think from the photos they are still slightly pricked rather than hanging completely down like a retriever, and interestingly some collies, especially those bred for showing here in the UK have very low-set ears because they would be less successful in the ring if less than a third of the top part of the ear was folded down/ if their ears were pricked- so fussy for the poor dogs Mad ! I've seen breeders who actually try to pull the ear further down by weighting it with this white sort of clay, poor dogs! Crying or Very sad If you search up 'show rough collie' you'll probably be able to see the ears and how generally they're pulled much further down! It's interesting that they aren't forward facing too which is what you would expect from a collie, but then again Bonnie does put hers to the side like that occasionally, mostly when she is scared or hears a sounds in that direction! Very Happy
Sorry for such a long answer, I hope it helps a bit! Otherwise that head as Paige says is definitely very Dachshund, but I think looking at the body it's probably best as a Collie. Very Happy Lovely dogs again though, it's really interesting to see! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 12:06 pm

Thanks for extra pictures! Oh, so cute, it seems the dog owner asked who chewed the furniture and the dog started making puppy ears and a pinocchio muzzle appeared. Laughing
I will list them on TAW and the furniture chewer will be added as a Collie as long as nobody has a definitive identification. Very Happy

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 7:21 pm

Thank you Bonnie for the detailed explanation! Rough collie works for me, the ears were probably hard to get exactly right on such a little model.

(The Shepherd's tongue makes me laugh. Razz )
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 8:44 pm

I found some more!! And delightfully, they are more of the teeny teeny ones. They are unmarked I think (it is hard to see, they are so tiny, but I don't think they say Japan on the bottom). They remind me of the bright pink set, except they are in browns and blue-grays.

Breeds are a guess only!

Dachshund?? Basset hound?? Doesn't seem right for either.

Some kind of spaniel, maybe a cocker because of the blue merle or roan coloring?

English Setter?

Collie perhaps? Or it might be one of the many spitz in this series, but the tail is throwing me off.

Three Spitz breeds I can't settle on:

And here is a comparison with the pink ones - they might be even smaller!

And beside a Play Visions figure
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 8:49 pm

Very tiny indeed, i'm sorry I can't help for breeds, I'm an absolute nut about dogs scratch
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 9:18 pm

Great additions and great little models
My guess for the breeds are
1.Dachshund-the body is a bit heavy but the face and ears are more Dachshund than Basset Hound.
2.Cocker Spaniel-only problem is the tail is very long for a dog that would have been at the time have been docked.
3.English Setter
4.Rough Collie
5.Think this is just a generic Husky or possibly a Samoyed but again think at the time the generic Husky is more likely
6.This one has me stumped!!
7.Think this may be a Pomeranian.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 9:40 pm

WOW !!!!! cheers I love you cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2022 10:43 pm

Taos wrote:
Great additions and great little models
My guess for the breeds are
1.Dachshund-the body is a bit heavy but the face and ears are more Dachshund than Basset Hound.
2.Cocker Spaniel-only problem is the tail is very long for a dog that would have been at the time have been docked.
3.English Setter
4.Rough Collie
5.Think this is just a generic Husky or possibly a Samoyed but again think at the time the generic Husky is more likely
6.This one has me stumped!!
7.Think this may be a Pomeranian.

Couldn't 6 be a Japanese Chin? I also suspect 7 is a Japanese Spitz breed, which one look like an Icelandic sheepdog? Wink

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 11:41 am

The only thing I would say is that the face is not flat enough for a Japanese Chin.Yes 7 could be a Japanese Spitz but they are generally all white but the colouring on these models is terribly accurate! Smile

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 1:07 pm

Taos wrote:
The only thing I would say is that the face is not flat enough for a Japanese Chin.Yes 7 could be a Japanese Spitz but they are generally all white but the colouring on these models is terribly accurate! Smile

I agree about the face for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but it is also valid for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] when you suggest a Pomeranian. I was not suggesting exactly the Japanese Spitz breed but one of the Spitz type breeds from Japan. Though, I could have found a better way to write it. Laughing One thing is for sure, it is a Spitz, it has a mane, most don't have, erect ears and pointy nose. I am sure one of the breeds match but I don't know which exact one. It is clear for me those models are made after specific breeds and they're actually very nice tiny figures.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2022 4:58 pm

Really wonderful new tiny dogs, I love this style too and even more wonderful that there is a rough collie!! cheers cheers I wonder how many more there are like this, because these ones are so lovely! sunny And I love how they're tiny, yet can still be categorised as a particular breed! cheers I love the spitz type models too, I haven't seen many of them this small!
I agree, the breeds area bit of a mystery but would agree with you and George with the guesses! Very Happy I think with the spitz types it could be fun to look at the little details and match them to a breed, although I doubt whoever made them would have thought much about these things- but maybe! Very Happy If so I would probably go Finnish Lapphund for he first, Finnish Spitz for the last- and the second actually does look like an Icelandic Sheepdog! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 12:21 am

Thank you all for the breed suggestions! They seem like good ones to me, I'd just have to pick between a few, haha. The big spots on the sptizes are confusing because I don't think the breeds that they match the best HAVE big spots like that. It looks as if the original sculptor had specific breeds in mind, and then the colors applied to them maybe didn't match. I do love how well the merle and roan are portrayed though, the blue-gray paint is really nice and considering how small all of these are (and as I assume they are handpainted), they really took some artistry!
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 11:05 am

Jill wrote:
Thank you all for the breed suggestions! They seem like good ones to me, I'd just have to pick between a few, haha. The big spots on the sptizes are confusing because I don't think the breeds that they match the best HAVE big spots like that. It looks as if the original sculptor had specific breeds in mind, and then the colors applied to them maybe didn't match. I do love how well the merle and roan are portrayed though, the blue-gray paint is really nice and considering how small all of these are (and as I assume they are handpainted), they really took some artistry!  
Completely agree! cheers The merle and roan is wonderful! drunken
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2022 11:05 pm

I wanted to update this thread with the new additions I have managed to get this summer. These really have such a wide range of breed representation, even if it is somewhat unclear which breeds they are representing, haha. A cursory look into tiny celluloid dogs from Japan suggests they mostly were terriers. That's what lots of the lots on ebay are, and many of those are small pendants. But turns out, many many other kinds of dogs were made as well, and I just keep finding more variations. There are indeed plenty of terriers, especially scottish terriers I think. Spaniels, setters, and spitzes are also well represented. But in this lot I am surprised by several that seem like sight hounds, and not even the more common Afghan.

Two Scottish terriers

A very tall terrier! Perhaps an airedale?

Dachshund

English setters or German longhaired pointers?

Samoyed?

Borzoi?

Greyhound?

Saint Bernard?

Cocker Spaniel?

???

????

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 9:42 am

You are very good at finding these interesting little figures. I can't help much with the breed identification. So many variations! I search on Japanese second-hand websites quite a lot, but I don't remember that I ever saw them there.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 11:02 pm

Lovely to see more of these wonderful little dogs! cheers And some really interesting breeds too! Very Happy
All your breed IDs seem great to me too! Very Happy For the last two unknown ones I would probably go with Japanese Chin for the top one and the one below reminds me most of a St. Bernard I think! study
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2022 2:46 am

Jill wrote:

Dachshund

???

????

below the exciting looking Very Happy dachshund this one looks so much like the orange and white cocker spaniels ?

and the 2nd last is like a fluffy pug hahaha

and the last one ? it is such a cutie! maybe a little wire haired terrier (that is quite old) ? it has the same hesitating stance that I often see

and the one below the borzoi - could it be a silky haired saluki ??

so exciting to see these tiny little dogs!
today I saw the smallest ever little silky terrier - hardly bigger than the owners shoe! - my heart just melted!

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2022 2:42 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
You are very good at finding these interesting little figures. I can't help much with the breed identification. So many variations! I search on Japanese second-hand websites quite a lot, but I don't remember that I ever saw them there.
I don't know that they are in very high demand, I think. Razz

Bonnie wrote:
Lovely to see more of these wonderful little dogs! cheers And some really interesting breeds too! Very Happy
All your breed IDs seem great to me too! Very Happy For the last two unknown ones I would probably go with Japanese Chin for the top one and the one below reminds me most of a St. Bernard I think! study
Oh, I see what you mean - I put the little black and white St. Bernard next to the pink and white one, and they are even in the same mold! So probably intended to be the same breed.

sunny wrote:

below the exciting looking Very Happy dachshund this one looks so much like the orange and white cocker spaniels ?
It's true, except for the long tail! (The dachshund really is a very exciting face Laughing )

Quote :
and the 2nd last is like a fluffy pug hahaha
That is as good a identification as any I think in this case, haha

Quote :
and the one below the borzoi - could it be a silky haired saluki ??
I like the idea of it as a saluki, even if that was not the original intent. And maybe it was. cheers

Quote :
so exciting to see these tiny little dogs!
today I saw the smallest ever little silky terrier - hardly bigger than the owners shoe! - my heart just melted!
I love you
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2022 4:53 am

Although the ears are wrong, I concur with Bonnie re: the first unknown being a Chin. Everything else is right.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2022 8:07 pm

Late to the party but all these IDs seem sound to me. A fun batch of doggos!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 1:34 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??    7 - Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tiny Made in Japan Dogs - ID??
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2