Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Ray Fish

Go down 
+3
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
pipsxlch
7 posters
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyMon 16 Aug 2021 - 3:59

I recently got these awesome apparently New Ray (unstamped) fish in a thrift store lot.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
They really remind me of my fish gashapon in quality.

At a suggestion from the ever awesome Paige, I got this boxed fishing set. I'd never seen the fishing sets in the wild, but have seen many hunting sets so it makes sense.

Although the fish in it are the same molds, they are not the same finish quality. They are of various colored plastic instead of translucent, with very simple paintjobs unlike the first three fish.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyMon 16 Aug 2021 - 4:08

Wonderful models! I need to grab this set someday... perhaps the nicer fish were from earlier and higher quality runs, or borrowed from another brand?... intriguing!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyMon 16 Aug 2021 - 7:26

Beautiful fish figures.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyMon 16 Aug 2021 - 10:33

They're beautiful to me. Isn't the right one a Crucian carp? Are there Crucian carps in USA or is it an escaped goldfish that turned wild? These need to go to TAW! Very Happy

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyMon 16 Aug 2021 - 18:20

Those fish are stunning, so realistic and definitely models that rival Japanese fish! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyMon 16 Aug 2021 - 22:07

Great box. Do you know what fish species they are?

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyTue 17 Aug 2021 - 2:22

Rogerio, yes of course I will take photos for TAW. Would you like individual photos of all the fish, or for the identical molds to be together?

I can give more or less accurate guesses as to species, but many are not native to my region. Perhaps Sbell will pop in?

As to the carp, my guess is a generic carp. It could be a feral goldfish, doesn't look quite right for an Asian. I've not heard of Crucians (which it does look like) in North America, but the sculptors likely enough aren't there and may be working from random internet images. The other two nicer molds are a bass and a rainbow trout.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyTue 17 Aug 2021 - 10:32

WE are not sure those from the thrift store are New-Ray, I think it is better that you provide for now individual pictures of those simpler ones from the set. Later we can try to find if the other figures are just variations or if they belong to a different set.
I will link this topic to Sean although I agree with your fish identifications.

sbell

Country/State : Canada

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyWed 18 Aug 2021 - 1:09

Sorry I've missed this.

Those are definitely NewRay fish, although they aren't quite the same as their original set.

The carp figure is probably meant to be the common carp, they aren't North American natives but are introduced or invasive in a lot of places. And are popular enough as game fish. I'd maybe wager toward Prussian carp, which are also invasive in a lot of places.

The bass model looks like their largemouth bass. The trout is painted very strangely but originally looked more like a steelhead, so rainbow trout. These newer ones look like a pretty substantial drop in care from the original; I got mine in 2007 or so! They were painted more accurately, and included 6 species (the others were smallmouth bass, salmon and walleye). I personally wouldn't put them on the same level as, say, Yujin but they're nice enough especially given the market NewRay aims for!

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyWed 18 Aug 2021 - 10:21

Thanks for all your imput Sean! cheers I believe the lower quality of the more recent releases is to keep the prices competitive enough in a market where this kind of toys represent an unexpressive niche.

rogerpgvg

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish EmptyFri 20 Aug 2021 - 21:27

Thanks for the information about the species!

New Ray Fish Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Ray Fish   New Ray Fish Empty

Back to top Go down

New Ray Fish
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Modern companies :: New Ray-
Jump to: