Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rabbit Cladistics

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

Rabbit Cladistics Empty
PostSubject: Rabbit Cladistics   Rabbit Cladistics EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 4:52 pm

I know that many people have brought to our attention various surprises of cladistics: tetrapods are fish, birds are reptiles, tortoises are turtles, and whales are artiodactyls.

However, it seems no one besides myself has ever noticed that within the family of Leporidae, while true hares do form a genus (Lepus) within it, there is no monophyletic group for “rabbits” (all other leporids), because it is an otherwise monophyletic group that excludes the Lepus genus.
What’s more, if you consider Pronolagus to be hares too, hares become a non-monophyletic garbage taxon as well.
Perhaps those who thought hares are a type of rabbit were right after all, at least if rabbits were to be defined as a monophyletic group? After all, for the longest time, I thought that tortoises were a type of turtle, which turned out to be true in a phylogenetic sense.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Rabbit Cladistics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbit Cladistics   Rabbit Cladistics EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 5:17 pm

there is no monophyletic term for rabbit because rabbits never were and still are not a taxonomic unit. 'Rabbit'  (and hare too, for that matter) is a common name used variably for different lagomorph taxa across different regions.

You are trying to infer phylogenetic relationships using common names. A futile effort.

careful with the use of the term 'garbage taxon' - it does not equate to a non-monophyletic group.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Rabbit Cladistics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbit Cladistics   Rabbit Cladistics EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 5:28 pm

I guess you could say the same about any of the other groups, right? I could have explained that you could instead just use the terms “reptile” or “fish” in the traditional, non-taxonomic ways.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Rabbit Cladistics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbit Cladistics   Rabbit Cladistics EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Birdsage wrote:
I guess you could say the same about any of the other groups, right? I could have explained that you could instead just use the terms “reptile” or “fish” in the traditional, non-taxonomic ways.

An animal is only a modified version of it's ancestor. Humans are bipedal, hairy, warm-blooded, milk-producing reptiles :-D
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Rabbit Cladistics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbit Cladistics   Rabbit Cladistics EmptyFri Aug 19, 2022 10:17 pm

The first part is true, but mammals did not evolve from reptiles. Synapsids are not reptiles because they are not part of the least inclusive clade containing all living animals that are generally considered reptiles. Birds are included, but synapsids are not.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Rabbit Cladistics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbit Cladistics   Rabbit Cladistics EmptySat Aug 20, 2022 4:35 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
there is no monophyletic term for rabbit because rabbits never were and still are not a taxonomic unit. 'Rabbit'  (and hare too, for that matter) is a common name used variably for different lagomorph taxa across different regions.

You are trying to infer phylogenetic relationships using common names. A futile effort.

careful with the use of the term 'garbage taxon' - it does not equate to a non-monophyletic group.

Almost the same reply that I was about to write as soon as I saw the question. Better explained is not possible. Chapeau, Blaine!

And also, synapsids ARE descendant of reptiles.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rabbit Cladistics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rabbit Cladistics   Rabbit Cladistics Empty

Back to top Go down

Rabbit Cladistics
Page 1 of 1