Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Henhouses and Duckhouses

Go down 
+11
sunny
Advicot
SUSANNE
NandO
Taos
Roger
landrover
Bonnie
Saarlooswolfhound
rogerpgvg
George
15 posters
AuthorMessage
George

George

Country/State : England

Henhouses and Duckhouses Empty
PostSubject: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 pm

This week I had a parcel containing new poultry models, I decided my original henhouse was getting to be far too full, and it was time to build some new homes for my chickens and ducks Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The first henhouse on the left was made when I had about five or six chickens, I'm now at a total of 11 so they can be split into two groups, with the newer arrivals moving in to the new henhouse, in the middle. And on the right, a duck house for my first pair of ducks, and any future friends they might gain.

Henhouse 2 - I thought I'd got for a totally different shape and colour to the first one, so they look nice and varied in pictures, and so it wasn't too repetitive to make.

Like the first, it's made from cardboard painted with streaky acrylic paint, sliced into strips to make planks, then glued onto a cardboard box trimmed to shape. The roof is just painted card, too, so it's all just recycling tea and biscuit boxes - environmentally friendly and zero cost for building materials! Laughing

And here's the duck house - I had to google what the difference should be, and most of the duck ones had this steep angled roof - unlike chickens they sleep on the ground, not perches, so they don't need the upright space.

The ducks seem to like it! Laughing

Here's the giveaway shot which proves they really are just cardboard boxes...

While they were outside in the garden, I set up some scenes with all the chooks'n'ducks looking happily settled into their houses

And one final shot cos it amuses me - over the last few years I'd found the chickens had a habit of falling over on the shelves all the time, and being made of rubber, if they roll off the edge they bounce away and it becomes quite the hen-hunt to get them back again, so I found something to keep them safe...

Very Happy

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 6:25 pm

Fantastic houses! I love the feeders (including a snail!) too. What brand are the chickens? You have a good variety of breeds.

George

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 6:33 pm

The feeders are also made of cardboard and glue, painted and given a slight metallic shine to the scuffed edges with silver gel pen scribbled and smudged in.

The chickens are made by Julip, I put their details in my general additions thread when I wrote about the newest arrivals, but forgot to mention it in the topic showing their houses too - I should've realised some people would see this post before that one! Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 6:57 pm

What great and beautiful fowl houses! Great work, very creative, and environmentally friendly. Very Happy I love your birds too, each one is too cute!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySat Sep 25, 2021 10:33 pm

These are so cleverly made, perfect for all these wonderful chickens! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 12:25 am

I love those houses. Congratulations sunny sunny

George

George

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 1:55 pm

I really love making these little cardboard box projects, it takes a very long time (about six hours work for the two new houses!) but leaves a real feeling of satisfaction having made something useful from almost nothing!

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 9:28 pm

This is delightful, you make these perfect miniatures using material that we all have at home. Everything looks perfect and it is so interesting that you made different houses for different kind of fowl.
Is it an Aylesbury duck house? Laughing
I wonder if there are turkey houses too. I performed a quick search but Google is showing me houses in Istambul or so... geek

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 pm

George wrote:
I really love making these little cardboard box projects, it takes a very long time (about six hours work for the two new houses!) but leaves a real feeling of satisfaction having made something useful from almost nothing!
Wow, that is so impressive! Shocked I never knew you made these yourself, they look professional! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Great houses and wonderful flock of hens!!

NandO

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 3:37 am

I love it!!! Congrats

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 7:48 am

This is AMAZING affraid

True gems, and absolutely unique !!!

All that detail, - and they are so different.
They are home made models of home made houses, and they look so real cheers Applause Applause

Their habitants are wonderful also I love you

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptyThu Sep 30, 2021 4:13 pm

George, these poultry houses are truly fantastic, and the feeder is so detailed! I love how there is a snail on it. Very Happy Applause Applause

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySat Mar 26, 2022 10:48 pm

oh these houses are so wonderful! well done George!
I've been laughing so much because they are all so fun Very Happy
and even more so because of being made out of biscuit boxes! what a wonderful job you made of them, including the galvanised steel feeders - they all look Very real!

and I really like your chicken and duck storage box Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySun Mar 27, 2022 8:09 am

Great to see these again. They are truely amazing Applause Applause Applause

lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySun Mar 27, 2022 9:20 am

Very Happy Applause cheers Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptySun Mar 27, 2022 7:05 pm

Goodness, a lot of replies to respond to, I missed most of these last year so thanks to the recent commenters for popping the post back to the front page! Laughing

Taos wrote:
Great houses and wonderful flock of hens!!

Thank you! The hens are addictive, every time the company make a new breed I try to get it, but it's a slowly growing flock!

NandO wrote:
I love it!!! Congrats

Thanks!

SUSANNE wrote:
This is AMAZING affraid

True gems, and absolutely unique !!!

All that detail, - and they are so different.
They are home made models of home made houses, and they look so real cheers Applause Applause

Their habitants are wonderful also I love you

I'm so glad you enjoyed them, and my aim of making them look home-made! I don't like big-money perfect stables and buildings, that's not the horsey world I'm from, so when creating my little fictional world in miniature, it needed to have that rustic, run-down feeling I'm at home with - it was almost automatic that the little additional buildings like the hen houses would have the same imperfect, bodged-on-a-budget look to them.

The little hens really are gorgeous, I'd have a lot more if they were easier to get hold of, but they're from a small family business, the owner makes the horses and her husband makes the pets and birds, and they're usually only sold at shows (pre-covid) or in small first-come-first-served batches sold online, sometimes only once a year, so there's not a huge output - and a lot of hen fans waiting to snap them up! Laughing

Advicot wrote:
George, these poultry houses are truly fantastic, and the feeder is so detailed! I love how there is a snail on it. Very Happy Applause Applause

The snail was a last minute addition, and none of the birds can have noticed him yet cos he's still there, unpecked! Laughing

sunny wrote:
oh these houses are so wonderful! well done George!
I've been laughing so much because they are all so fun Very Happy
and even more so because of being made out of biscuit boxes! what a wonderful job you made of them, including the galvanised steel feeders - they all look Very real!

and I really like your chicken and duck storage box Very Happy

I'm so happy they amuse you as much as they amuse me, I never paint the bottoms of the boxes just cos it makes me laugh every time I notice the old biscuit box print showing underneath, as a reminder of how they were made from recycled rubbish Laughing There's a stack of emptied cardboard packaging accumulating on one of my kitchen chairs for future projects, I'm stashing cereal boxes this time cos they're a bit bigger!

lucky luke wrote:
Very Happy Applause cheers  Cool Cool

Thanks!

Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptyMon Mar 28, 2022 8:00 pm

These tiny hen-houses are so cute! Very well made! And love the chicken collection and the ducks! That tiny snail!! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptyTue Mar 29, 2022 9:12 pm

Lucky poultry to have so beautiful homes Applause
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses EmptyWed Mar 30, 2022 8:08 pm

Wow, they're beautifully made! The best transformation of tea boxes ever Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Henhouses and Duckhouses   Henhouses and Duckhouses Empty

Back to top Go down

Henhouses and Duckhouses
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Dioramas & Outdoor photos-
Jump to: