Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*

Go down 
+3
Roger
Kikimalou
Joliezac
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*   Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update* - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2022 6:25 pm

Great, it seems things with the Baltimore frogs are now more or less clear. However, Jolie, I want to open a page about the 1990 thick-toed frogs, the green and yellow have individual pictures in this topic but I need one of the blue model. The orange is for sale on EBAY so I believe other missing two also exist.

About the bin models, it is very interesting to know the 2017 tube models are also marked 2005, it is logical and means it was just a repackaging with two extra colors.
I believe these two frogs, on 2006 Rainforest toob, are also color variations over the same molds.
At least the Lehmann's poison frog looks the same as the walking mold.
Susanne, I was completely convinced it was 1 for standing mold and 2 for walking mold because Kiki told me his red poison frog was marked with number 2.
That's quite bizarre even if your explanation seems plausible.

Here Susanne's picture of the Rainforest Toob
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*   Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update* - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2022 8:05 pm

Roger wrote:

I believe these two frogs, on 2006 Rainforest toob, are also color variations over the same molds.
Here Susanne's picture of the Rainforest Toob

No, they are not the same mould, but they are inspired Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*   Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update* - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2022 8:27 pm

They're enough different to avoid me from giving you so much work. :Why I put my focus on legs to compare frogs? pale: This angle is so good to compare these creatures. They're also quite different in size, you almost can put the smaller frogs riding the larger ones. Laughing

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*   Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update* - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2022 9:11 pm

Regarding the OP, those are a later production run of the Baltimore Aquarium frogs set.  The Lehmann's Poison Frog also saw it's legs and toes get thicker later in the production run.  I always assumed that they were the result of mold degradation and necessary adjustment.  The original figures in the set had slender legs and delicately sculpted toes.  The later figures, with thicker legs and toes, also were cast in softer vinyl than the originals, and the green-and-black poison dart frog got a greener (less minty) paintjob.  Later still, the Yellow-and-Black Poison Dart Frog and the Lehmann's Poison Dart Frog both got white toes, for reasons unknown.  They were all still released under the umbrella of the Baltimore Aquarium collection.  I'm pretty sure the thick-toed figures appeared around the same time as the Red-eyed Tree Frog was added to the collection.  *Note* The Red-eyed Tree Frog was sold in a "Rainforest Frogs" collection box with the other figures in the collection, and was also available loose, just as the other figures were.  I think that the thick-toed figures were sold loose; I don't know if they were used in the Rainforest Frogs collection box.

Finally, the Incredible Creatures Poison Dart Frogs introduced updated, albeit less detailed, sculpts and paintjobs (and dropped the Lehmann's and histrionicus species in favor of Oophaga pumilio red morph and Blue Jeans morph).  These Incredible Creatures Poison Dart Frogs were sold loose or in sets (marketed as Point of Sale Bin Figures), and finally, they were put into the Poison Dart Frogs TOOB (where they introduced the Golden Poison Dart Frog and Sira Poison Dart Frog).

So to end any remaining confusion, you have an early version and a late version of the same Baltimore Aquarium Collection Green-and-Black Poison Dart Frog and Yellow-and-Black Poison Dart Frog figures.  The earlier, and IMO. superior, figures had very delicately sculpted toes and slender legs. But there wasn't any real differentiation between how they were marketed or sold.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*   Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update* - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2022 5:22 pm

Chad, what a complete and useful post. After reading it, one of my remaining neurons reactivated and i got convinced we discussed it previously on forum. It took me some time to find the discussion but the essential you already explained. I am not sure it is normal I forgot completely about something we discussed 8 years ago. affraid Though, I want to share here again a catalogue scan I received from Safari at that time. It explains why half of these frogs have different release dates and also the archaic product numbers. I've found also that Andreas frogs are marked 1990 and that's one of the misteries because those are the ones with thick toes. I confess sometimes it looks like there are three versions, thin toes, thick toes and very big toes but it is hard to tell from some angles and I don't want to get it more complicated.
Here is the scan, first years of 1990's.Let's see if I can improve a little the TAW page to reflect those subtle things.

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*   Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update* - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari Ltd Poison Dart Frog Confusion *Update*
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2