Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains sold as Breyer

Go down 
+2
Bonnie
rogerpgvg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

Britains sold as Breyer Empty
PostSubject: Britains sold as Breyer   Britains sold as Breyer EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 am

As a collector of both Breyer and Britains, I found this set interesting:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's a Britains set sold under the name Breyer in the US. I knew that Reeves, the distributor of Breyer, also distributed Britains in the US, but I didn't realise they actually sold some as Breyer.

Here is some more information I found: http://breyerhistorydiva.blogspot.com/2017/01/filling-in-holes.html

"So it looks like the CollectA line will be operating under an arrangement similar to the Pocket Box animals: certain items (horses, pets, farm animals) are being repackaged/rebranded and sold as Breyer product, with the originating company maintaining the noncompeting lines and items independently.

Both of these moves were done, obviously, to plug holes in the Breyer brand – expanding their offerings in the Micro Mini scale with the Pocket Box items, and making an entrée into the vinyl toy animal market currently dominated by Schleich. 

Like the Pocket Box critters, it’s still a little too early form me to determine how I will handle them. There’s a potential for multiple releases with the CollectA items that’s not available with the Pocket Box items, so I expect I’ll end up treating the CollectA pieces more like standard Breyers, and the Pocket Box pieces more like accessories.  

One thing that’s been largely forgotten in all this is that this is not the first time Reeves has adapted or adopted competing items as their own. In 1986, they gave us the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Breyer Riding Stable set, aka the Pine Lodge Riding School, a play set composed of Britains:

It was a fairly popular item, too, running through 1989 in the Collector’s Manuals/Dealer Catalogs, and available through 1992 in the Sears Wishbook; I still find (usually) incomplete sets around here from time to time. 

It does feel a little weird/wrong to find a Breyer box with Britains in it, though.

There’s nothing wrong with any of these products per se – some of the CollectA horse molds are actually great, and I might be buying some of the Pocket Box Aquarium items, too. But it’ll be a while yet before I can “buy” them as Breyer products."
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains sold as Breyer   Britains sold as Breyer EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 12:16 pm

This is really interesting, it's always useful to know about these co-operations between brands, as some may be marketed this way and it is a very helpful method to search other possible brand names to find those much-needed figures! study
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains sold as Breyer   Britains sold as Breyer EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Surely something very interesting and I enjoy the parallelism with CollectA.
Paddock Paws where never successful as far as I know and their retirement opened a huge gap to introduce CollectA models. Surely these Britains lost protagonism with the increasing popularity of Stablemates but it is great to know they were part of Breyer range. We are really talking about huge brands and those connections help us to identify how things work in this business.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Britains sold as Breyer   Britains sold as Breyer EmptyWed Oct 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Interesting topic!
I remember seeing these sets for sale occasionally in toyshops the US when I was on holidays.

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Britains sold as Breyer   Britains sold as Breyer EmptySun Dec 05, 2021 9:54 pm

Always learning more about how Breyer functions as a company. I had no idea they were connected to Britains in any way. I've also never seen that set before!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Britains sold as Breyer   Britains sold as Breyer EmptyMon Dec 06, 2021 11:27 am

WOW ! I didn't know that !!! Thanks for this topic flower

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains sold as Breyer   Britains sold as Breyer Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains sold as Breyer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Modern companies :: Breyer-
Jump to: