Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day

Go down 
+7
Bonnie
rogerpgvg
Saarlooswolfhound
Joliezac
George
spacelab
Kikimalou
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day Empty
PostSubject: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am

For those who like Penguins 2021 is an excellent year on STS. sunny

In july 75senta75 shown us a very beautiful "olds meet youngs" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In october Rogério explained us how to build a synoptic penguins collection with or without the help of Colorata models [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ok I hope you enjoyed them... See you later monkey

Of course not Laughing  Before I let some Penguins invade Rogério shelves I made some comparison pics with the other "Japanese Penguins" company: Kaiyodo !

In 2001 and 2003 Kaiyodo produced two Penguin series known as "Penguins lunch". The models came in the form of a bottle cap with a penguin figurine attached to it. The name of the species was written on the cap. The good thing is that the caps and penguins could be separated without breakage and effortlessly.

The main difference with the Colorata set is the size, Kaiyodo are much smaller and all nearly at the same size, so not at the same scale. For this topic I will sometimes add a few other Kaiyodos Penguins and also non Kaiyodos ones.  Very Happy   I will also add a few "colorful mole-rats"  Laughing

To follow Rogério's excellent plan, I will begin to show you (on a daily basis) those Penguins by family.

So, here is the first group, the most common toys inside or outiside Japan: The Aptenodytes or Great Penguins. cheers

First, the "King of all"  farao   Laughing The heaviest, the taller and the most represented in figurines: The Emperor penguin.

Colorata made one and Kaiyodo made several

Here they are: Kaiyodo Aqualand wich Chick (1990's), Kaiyodo PL1 Emperor Penguin Baby (2001), Colorata with chick (2003), Kaiyodo PL2 Emperor Penguin (2002), Kaiyodo PL1 Emperor Penguin (2001). Apart from the chick, the standing Kaiyodos are at the 1/22 scale. The swimmer is in scale 1/25.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And now the King penguin, much rarer in the toy world than its big cousin. Kaiyodo produced a sub-adult, he is really very rare, the rarest of all. The company made also a few swimming King penguins but I still missed them. So I only have two models to show you. The smallest is the Kaiyodo obviously, its scale can vary from 1/15 to 1/20.

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:35 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 10:45 am

Oh, more nice penguins. I'm not going out lately and spending so much time on STS makes me believe that when I do there will be penguins all over.
(not a bad thing after all, if you mute them somehow..)

Razz
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 10:53 am

And hold your nose - penguins are lovely but stinky Laughing

These are a really nice selection, a nice variety of poses - I think the swimming one is especially great, what a fresh take on what can be quite a static-looking model when they're depicted standing upright. But my favourite is the Kaiyodo Aqualand figure with baby, just a beautiful combination of sculpt and paintjob to make them realistic but also elegant and aesthetically pleasing!

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 11:16 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Lucky you STS isn't in a Trex mood these days affraid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yes, by dint of looking at the figurines standing at attention, we end up forgetting that they are aquatic animals.
As for the Aqualand, I agree it is a jewel like many models of this series, unfortunately rare and therefore very expensive.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 11:35 am

I don't know much about the brand Kaiyodo so I love to see their beautiful figures shown on this forum! I really love the swimming ones, I wish we could get some more unique poses like that

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 11:48 am

Gorgeous!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Great comparison. Lots of royalty! What makes the Kaiyodo king penguin a subadult?

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 1:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I hope you will enjoy some other Kaiyodo penguin poses these days. 😊

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you Paige 😀

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It’s probably my bad English of course but I don’t have the sub-adult one ( with a part of chick’s wool), I only have the standing adult one
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 2:12 pm

I love all these penguin topics! cheers The Kaiyodo models really are beautiful, and the little chicks are so sweet! Very Happy And the colourful mole-rats are so wonderful! cheers Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyMon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 pm

I surely am never tired of penguins and I am so glad you opened this topic with a similar plan but different colors. Kaiyodo is a different world and it will give a significant difference to the topic I presented.
They explore a wider range of ideas, in poses and detail. Daily topics are also fun, we know something will happen tomorrow. I like very much the Kaiyodo king penguin, I almost can see the ultraviolet colors in its beak. Laughing

rogerpgvg wrote:
Great comparison. Lots of royalty! What makes the Kaiyodo king penguin a subadult?

The subadult is here!
It is so interesting that Kaiyodo releases such unusual figures.
King penguins turn into little monsters before they change their fluffy feathers to adult colors.
Look at this picture where the left adult is feeding the huge brown chick.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 8:17 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you  cheers  I will think about opening a colourful mole-rats comparison topic  Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Making a daily topic is a real challenge for lazy macaques.  Wink

Today is the Brush-tailed penguins day. Three extant species share the genus Pygoscelis. But, if you followed Rogério’s topic, you are already well informed about those guys.

Colorata made one of each species and Kaiyodo sometimes more than one.

First the Adelie penguins, like the taller Emperor (Adelie are only 46 to 70cm high) the species live exclusively in Antarctica : Kaiyodo (2002-scale 1/12 to 1/18), Kaiyodo (2001-scale 1/10 to 1/15), Colorata (2003)

And now the Chinstrap, less common in the toys universe, 6 on TAW, and half of them have the same pose. It’s the case with the Colorata and Kaiyodo, although not at the same size and scale. The kaiyodo is between 1/15 and 1/17.

Kaiyodo (2002) and Colorata (2003)

At last the Gentoo penguins, twice as numerous as the Chinstrap in the toy world with 12 entries on TAW. Half of them are Japanese and Kaiyodo signs a third of the models presented on TAW. I can show you three of them. Among these, Kaiyodo was kind enough to offer us a perfectly acceptable pair of chicks for the collection Rogério presented to us.

Kaiyodo chicks (2002-scale 1/10), Colorata (2003), Kaiyodo swimming (2002-scale 1/12 to 1/18) and Kaiyodo (2001-scale 1/12 to 1/18). On the last pic, you can see the CollectA Gentoo joining the band... But where it is now ?  scratch  Laughing

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 9:01 am

I know where it is now. Laughing
Chinstraps were always the poor parents of this group. In the past Adèlies were the most famous, I even think they were the third best known species after the emperor and king. Lately, Gentoos are getting popular, I don't know if it is because of the Aquaria.
I see you don't have the wonderful Nature _Technicolor Adélie but you really have many other wonderful Japanese penguin figures.

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 11:46 am

Chinstraps are my favorite, I love that little Kaiyodo one! Those Gentoo penguin chicks are so adorable, those all look so good together I love you

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 pm

The best penguin figures ever

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 5:09 am

Lovely penguins Very Happy Thank you for this fantastic topic, Christophe!
I happen to have Kaiyodo Adelie penguin (2001) too. I don't remember anymore where I got it from but I like it a lot Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 9:11 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] No Kitan Club penguins yet, but who knows ? Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The chicks are adorable indeed drunken

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you for them Andreas cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you Ana, I don’t remember sending you this Adelie Penguin but you are right to like it very much Very Happy

Today is a lazy day for this topic, perfect for a 27 october, always a special day to me because I was born a 26 and my daughter a 28, so the 27 is the peaceful day in between. Sleep

Following Rogério’s rule I will show you the Megadyptes genus. As you probably noticed, Colorata missed to make the genus' only species: the Yellow-eyed penguin.

Luckily Kaiyodo made one for his 2002 Penguin Lunch series and I have no doubt it is a hit !

This species is really really special, especially noticeable for the head. No company produced one more realistic than this Kaiyodo.

The scale of this models is between 1/12 and 1/14. If you want to watch more pics I made a walkaround in 2013 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 9:32 am

It was good to revisit your walk around of this superb model.
If Colorata models are more than satisfying for me, a non Kaiyodo addict, surely Yowies and SSS yellow-eyed penguins cannot be compared with this model. These colors on head are very hard to get right and Kaiyodo is unbeatable in this regard. The pose is also great and it has a beautiful base.
Also, who will release this species? Who takes their effort with a forest penguin nobody knows? SSS and Yowies are too coonected to New Zealand fauna but it rarely happens with the majority of the companies.
I see you scheduled the birthday of your daughter. Laughing

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 am

I konw you are not a Kaiyodo addict because you don't like puzzlelike models. Fortunately, the kaiyodo penguin lunch series aren't puzzlelike.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 12:01 pm

So many more beautiful Kaiyodos, it's lovely how they have made models of all these different species! cheers You are presenting them perfectly with such clear photos, and it's also really interesting to see all the different poses they have! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Thank you Bonnie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 6:32 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I konw you are not a Kaiyodo addict because you don't like puzzlelike models. Fortunately, the kaiyodo penguin lunch series aren't puzzlelike.

Yes, it makes all the difference to me. I have in my desk the Chocoegg spotted nutcracker, a beautiful figure but I remember my disapointment when I received it. Maybe now that I am a more mature collector, I am more receptive to this kind of figures but still not my cup of tea. Puzzles, lightweight feel, fragile, something doesn't really work for me. I know not all Kaiyodo are puzzles chocoegg like but sometimes their prices are prohibitive too.
Since today is your daughter birthday, I don't know we will have an update on this topic but I want to send my greetings to your girl! flower cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 6:55 am

Kaiyodo is an old brand with a big history and several materials used. Actually the penguins are made of a dense and solid plastic, very different from a chocoegg.

Of course we will have an update today sunny Since yesterday's entry was simple, I prepared today's job  Wink

Today is the day of the Banded penguins (genus Spheniscus). Like Colorata, Kaiyodo produced only three of the four species in the genus. No Galapagos penguin in sight, the only Japanese I know is the Bandai.

We will therefore be content to compare the Cape, the Humboldt and the Magellanic penguins.

So let's start with the Cape penguin. It is the only species of the genera not to live in South America. Kaiyodo produced two models, one in 2001 for the first Penguin Lunch series and a second, more rare, in 2011 for the Sunshine Aquarium series. We will be satisfied with that of 2011. If one of you wants to make a donation to enrich the topic, I am interested.

Colorata (2003) and Kaiyodo (2001 at 1/15 to 1/17 scale).

And now it’s time for the Humboldt penguin who live along the South American Pacific coast.

Kaiyodo produced three models and none for the Penguin lunch series, so I will show you here the Enoshima aquarium one.

Colorata (2003) and Kaiyodo (2005 - scale 1/14 to 1/17)

Finally here is the most southerner of the South American band penguins: The Magellanic penguin which nests on the coast of Patagonia. It is a very rare species in the toy world, TAW has only four of which two are produced by Kaiyodo.

Colorata (2003) and Kaiyodo (2001 - scale 1/13 to 1/17). On the last pic the AAA Humboldt accidentaly joined the band Embarassed
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 7:03 am

The yellow-eyed is the most interesting species, because it stands out and I would gladly acquire it if it was available.
If the real bird photo was not here, I would think the Kaiyodo model looks unrealistic, but it doesn't actually.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Beautiful banded penguins! cheers The smooth texture that Kaiyodo models have works really well for the smooth coat that penguins have, and again the species are represented so well! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 12:19 pm

Such adorable models! I really like how these Kaiyodo figures don't have those really obvious seam lines. I love the variety and detail of the Kaiyodo figures I've seen, but I really don't like those seams.. These are stunning though!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day   Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day Empty

Back to top Go down

Penguins: When Colorata meets Kaiyodo by Kikimalou - Eudyptes day
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next