Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Soldier macaw

Go down 
+9
Roger
Joliezac
Shanti
Taos
widukind
Duck-Anch-Amun
Saarlooswolfhound
bmathison1972
landrover
13 posters
AuthorMessage
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 3:09 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 3:11 am

Nice! Any comparison pics please with Papo, Mojo, and/or Safari macaws? I am curious how they compare in size (body size of animal, not overall display size). Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 3:31 am

Gorgeous! Congrats!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 3:56 am

It's a faboulus figure, even that it's a little to big for my personal taste. But I don't regret buying it :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 4:42 am

One of the best figures in 2021

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 6:19 am

Great model!!!

Shanti

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 6:46 am

Wow, I just love it! The figure is great and the paint job gorgeous!! Thank you for showing!
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 7:02 am

Gorgeous!!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 8:04 am

thanks Fernando, I listed it on TAW as a Great green macaw (Ara ambiguus) - I also added a link to this topic.
If there is any objection and anyone thinks it is a military macaw (Ara militaris) just let me know and I may change it if there is any evidence.
I think the model is very beautiful, I was doubtful about it and after seeing your pictures I am sure I will want to have one in my collection.

Caracal

Country/State : France

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 11:54 am

Wonderful!! cheers cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySat Dec 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Roger wrote:
thanks Fernando, I listed it on TAW as a Great green macaw (Ara ambiguus) - I also added a link to this topic.
If there is any objection and anyone thinks it is a military macaw (Ara militaris) just let me know and I may change it if there is any evidence.

I would go for the Military Macaw, because according to wiki they distinguished from great green macaws by their bill. Military have a black and grey, Great Green a completely black bill. It's a clue I guess...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 1:35 am

spacelab wrote:
Roger wrote:

I would go for the Military Macaw, because according to wiki they distinguished from great green macaws by their bill. Military have a black and grey, Great Green a completely black bill. It's a clue I guess...

Thanks Kosta, when identification is based upon subtle color differences, it is important for me to have your feedback to be able of editing on TAW with the best quality possible.
Though, here are the reasons why I moved it to Ara ambiguus even if originally I entered it as Ara militaris.

First this excerpt from a scientific work - it is copyrrighted but I think it is not a problem to share this little part here:
"Both species are mostly green with bright red forehead patches. A. militaris is distinguished from A. ambiguus by its slightly sma ler size, a smaller and completely black bill, overall darker plumage, dull red (rather than orange) at the base of the central rectrices, and differences in their vocalizations (Ridgway 1916, Forshaw 1989, Collar et al. 2014a)."

It seems the opposite of the Wiki article.

Also, while trying to find the produt number, I noticed this model is marketed in Germany, the country of the brand, as a Großer Soldatenara, this is the German name for Ara ambiguus. Ara militaris is Kleiner Soldatenara.
Here one example.
It is also sold as Great soldier macaw for English language.
It doesn't mean I am completely sure of what it is supposed to be.

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 6:22 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
Nice! Any comparison pics please with Papo, Mojo, and/or Safari macaws? I am curious how they compare in size (body size of animal, not overall display size). Thank you!

This photo is for comparison sizes:

Roger
Admin
Roger

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 7:25 am

Large but not disturbing! Very useful picture and it displays nicely! Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 7:42 am

The perfect size for me cheerscheerscheers

scratch  Why is it always the perfect size for me ?  Laughing
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 7:45 am

the overall display is large but the bird itself doesn't seem so.
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyWed Dec 15, 2021 9:14 pm

Beautiful photo, thanks! It's great most of you seem to think his size is good, but to me he looks the stockiest of all the other birds in the picture. Considering also the depth of the photo.

Let's support Roger's identification, that he is a Great Green Macaw and not a Military which is even smaller. A great green is 3 times lighter than the King Vulture in average and 4,5 times lighter than a bald eagle. Also its wingspan is almost half the size of the other birds mentioned.  Here is a list, first measurement is the wingspan, second the average weight.

Bald Eagle          : 180 - 230cm, 5.6kg
Wedgetail           : 182 - 232cm, 4.3kg
King Vulture        : 130 - 200cm, 3.9kg
Gr. Green Macaw : 110 - 125cm, 1.3kg

The model looks cool and it displays nice, but to me it's far from being to an acceptable scale for most of the common birds of prey or parrot models we have in our collections. Still, I'm only judging from this photo...
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyThu Dec 16, 2021 1:45 am

I forgot to mention that Roger's arguments for this being a great green macaw seem valid to me.

I am not scale-conscious; I am more concerned how my parrots look next to one another rather than how they compare to the raptors :), and even then they don't have to be in perfect scale with one another. Its size next to the Papo macaw looks acceptable for me (but I guess I'll know for sure when it arrives...)
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyThu Dec 16, 2021 2:41 am

This is like not caring how your tiger looks next to a cheetah, which is a good thing when collecting toy-models. Makes it much easier.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw EmptyThu Dec 16, 2021 7:56 am

Roger wrote:
spacelab wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks Kosta, when identification is based upon subtle color differences, it is important for me to have your feedback to be able of editing on TAW with the best quality possible.
Though, here are the reasons why I moved it to Ara ambiguus even if originally I entered it as Ara militaris.

First this excerpt from a scientific work - it is copyrrighted but I think it is not a problem to share this little part here:
"Both species are mostly green with bright red forehead patches. A. militaris is distinguished from A. ambiguus by its slightly sma ler size, a smaller and completely black bill, overall darker plumage, dull red (rather than orange) at the base of the central rectrices, and differences in their vocalizations (Ridgway 1916, Forshaw 1989, Collar et al. 2014a)."

It seems the opposite of the Wiki article.

Also, while trying to find the produt number, I noticed this model is marketed in Germany, the country of the brand, as a Großer Soldatenara, this is the German name for Ara ambiguus. Ara militaris is Kleiner Soldatenara.
Here one example.
It is also sold as Great soldier macaw for English language.
It doesn't mean I am completely sure of what it is supposed to be.

I'm also with you. I also think this is more the Ara ambiguus. It's also a very common parrot species in german Zoos. I've also read that the A. ambiguus has a two-coloured beak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Soldier macaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldier macaw   Soldier macaw Empty

Back to top Go down

Soldier macaw
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Bullyland-
Jump to: