Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Damage in homemade models

Go down 
+6
rogerpgvg
Kikimalou
Bonnie
George
widukind
Pardofelis
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Damage in homemade models Empty
PostSubject: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 6:51 am

Dear STS pals,
I want to share with you what happened with some models of my collection.
The first and worst one was my Black and White Hawk-Eagle, that got their feet EATEN. I never imagined that an animal would munch on WePam-made figures. I think it could be a silverfish, able to eat many strange materials. Silverfishes are not common inside my home (every time I see one, my aquarium fishes feeds on fresh proteins), but they still happen. Carpet beetle larvae (species: Anthrenus verbasci) are fairly frequent in my home, my fight against it is difficult to win. I hate when they eat my nature-related things such as preserved animals/plants, but eating a non-organic material is another level. I can do nothing but redo the legs of the eagle. This happened various months ago but I never published it until now, as I was very busy with other things.

Damage in homemade models Aguila12
Damage in homemade models Aguila11
Damage in homemade models Aguila10

In the place where I displayed the eagle, some minuscle poop appeared, signal of the feeding by an insect:
Damage in homemade models Aguila13

This was the just finished model with complete legs:
Damage in homemade models Index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2855

By other hand, I noticed a much less severe damage in other model a couple of days ago, and that's what made me write this thread compiling both. It's about the tail of my Dingiso. It developed rusty blotches.
Damage in homemade models Dingis10

This was the original model:
Damage in homemade models Index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2520

I think it's related to the wire that runs inside the tail. It's a steel wire and it should not be rusted, but who knows. Easy to fix with new paint.

Fortunately, none of my branded figures suffered any damage, so maybe this kind of things only affect homemade models.

Had anyone of you similar experiences in your figures?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 am

Oh no

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny

Last edited by widukind on Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 10:41 am

Steel can rust, it's only stainless steel which won't. I've had gold and silver-coloured wire rust before, so I assume they're plated over steel, and bending the wire to shape it causes the plating to flake off in tiny little pieces which might even be too small to see, but are enough to let rust start.

I'd recommend sealing the tail with a coat of varnish before repainting, something nice and thick that can be painted on rather than a fine spray of sealant, otherwise the rust stains might just carry on growing through the new paint layer as well, and you'll end up having to regularly re-apply the cover-up.

For attacks by living things, my worst was finding one of my vintage 1970s horse models with a natural mohair tail had been attacked by moth caterpillars, and had an entirely bald bottom!
I bought some colour-matched hair but didn't actually attach it yet, it's hidden in a sealed plastic bag, cos I didn't want to feed another generation of the same creatures and have a cycle of mending and eating going on Laughing

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 11:28 am

Oh no, how annoying, I hope you can fix them!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 4:31 pm

The Wepam seems to be made from organic materials, maybe you could go for Milliput next time ?
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 7:01 pm

Very annoying indeed. I wonder if it would help if you stored them with moth balls.

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks everybody! Very Happy
George, tahnks for sharing your experiences too. yes, organic materials such as hair or feathers is quickly devoured! Maybe you can look for some sort of chemical treatment to your horsetail so its make distasteful for the moths? Or just preserve the whole horse in a cabinet with lavender or moth balls Very Happy

The problem with varnish is that the tail would ressult glossy (even after the paint application) and untextured... I hope this don't happen again but if happens it will need to repaint one more time...

Kiki I didn't knew that WePam was organic paste! Certainly for the moment my FimoAir models were undamaged Very Happy (tough I usually use both together!) That would explain why carpet beetles or other annoying pests destroyed part of it!

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 10:01 pm

This modeling paste is made from the Cleopatra “Cléocol” glue and natural ingredients: Cléocol glue + vegetable flour + water + coloring
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySat Dec 18, 2021 11:25 pm

Ouch!!!! This is like serving a local menu for my flour moths!!!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 12:43 am

Yes, it is completely natural that silverfish and other insects eat this kind of material. I am not surprised if the same happens with composition figures.
Silverfish are quite clever, you can use a card with the words "no comestible" and as long as they're busy eating the card, they won't eat your figures. Laughing I am kidding, of course, I love that you use silverfish to feed your fish. I am not kidding now, I'd love to see a figure of a silverfish, we don't even have on TAW a single figure of the whole order.
It is not so hard to get rid of these creatures and that's the start if it was really what happened.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 12:53 am

sorry to hear about the tiny invaders!
peppermint is a natural remedy that repels some unwanted guests, but I'm not sure if it will work for your ones ?
You could try homeopathic peppermint tincture put onto the upturned lid of a jar, or even peppermint teabags (unused) in bags lying near your models. The smell will deter some guests.

And for very tiny invaders you can put some of this fine powder down. Diatomaceous earth. It is natural and safe around pets:) It has very sharp edges, too small to affect mammals, but tiny insects that devour it die from the sharp edges.
I've used it before, sprinkled around the affected areas.

..Diatomaceous earth is not poisonous; it does not have to be eaten in order to be effective. Diatomaceous earth causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect's exoskeleton. Its sharp edges are abrasive, speeding up the process.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 2:39 pm

I will keep that in mind when I make my own figures.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 3:48 pm

sunny wrote:
peppermint is a natural remedy that repels some unwanted guests, but I'm not sure if it will work for your ones ?
You could try homeopathic peppermint tincture put onto the upturned lid of a jar, or even peppermint teabags (unused) in bags lying near your models. The smell will deter some guests.

And for very tiny invaders you can put some of this fine powder down. Diatomaceous earth. It is natural and safe around pets:) It has very sharp edges, too small to affect mammals, but tiny insects that devour it die from the sharp edges.

..Diatomaceous earth is not poisonous; it does not have to be eaten in order to be effective. Diatomaceous earth causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect's exoskeleton. Its sharp edges are abrasive, speeding up the process.

Using Milliput to make customs is far more safe against pests Wink

Most Composition figures are made with glue and Kaolin so it is safer, except for the ones known as "farine et plâtre" (flour and plaster).
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
sunny wrote:

Using Milliput to make customs is far more safe against pests Wink

Most Composition figures are made with glue and Kaolin so it is safer, except for the ones known as "farine et plâtre" (flour and plaster).

Christophe I have Wepam and Diatomaceous earth here Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 5:57 pm

sunny wrote:
Christophe I have Wepam and Diatomaceous earth here Wink  Very Happy

You propose a poison-based solution and I a weight-watchers solution  Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 6:41 pm

Ohh, I am so sorry for your eagle Shocked

Well, I have a good trick against silver fish : Kittens !!!!
My two little monsters have tons of fun if they find one, - the poor thing gets killed untill there is only dust left Laughing

Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptySun Dec 19, 2021 9:57 pm

Haha, a kitten in my house would result in all my fragiles figures thrown to the floor! Very Happy

I just redo the eagle's feet, and just now I realize the left eye have the rear part also eaten! Sad This is more difficult to repair due to diminutive size (eye smaller than a pinhead). Eyes, feet and bill was made with WePam and body with FimoAir, the body was untouched! Maybe I should do every model with FimoAir only, but it's more brittle than WePam for thin parts.

Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 2:41 am

Kikimalou wrote:
sunny wrote:
Christophe I have Wepam and Diatomaceous earth here Wink  Very Happy

You propose a poison-based solution and I a weight-watchers solution  Laughing

hehe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damage in homemade models   Damage in homemade models Empty

Back to top Go down

Damage in homemade models
Page 1 of 1