Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Russian Celluloid

Go down 
+6
widukind
Roger
Bonnie
SUSANNE
Babdo
junglejim
10 posters
AuthorMessage
junglejim

Country/State : USA/Illinois

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 3:08 am

Celluloid animal figurines have been around since at least the 1930s. One of the most recognized and more common are those of Viscoloid of Leominster MA and others made in Japan. The ones I want to present to fellow collectors and readers are of the more unique figures, especially from a vintage company in Russia called OHK (Ohtinsky Chemical Factory). They tend to be on the larger scale similar to Safari Ltd Wonders of the Wild series. These are hollow hand painted celluloid that were primarily sculpted by a renowned animalier artist Boris Vorobyov who also did sculpting for Lomonosov of porcelain animal figures. The cellluloid figures are not only unique but in my opinion remarkable in simplicity while maintaining accuracy of the animal. I recently acquired this wolf figure. Among the many other figures of this line included are an Asian elephant, lion, polar bear, Russian brown bear, Bactrian camel, rooster, cockatoo, and probably others I have yet to find. These photos are of my OHK wolf, a photo ob Boris Vorobyov with some of the other animals in the series, and a group shot of 4 of the more unique hollow celluloid wild animal figures that have no particular markings but are well done - the 2 smaller ones being reportedly from Germany. I hope you enjoy these and consider OHK another valuable contribution to vintage anmal toy figures. Russian Celluloid Img_4912
Russian Celluloid Cellul10
Russian Celluloid Img_4913
Back to top Go down
Babdo

Babdo

Country/State : Deutschland

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 7:10 am

Hello junglejim,
thank you for your information and congratulation for your animals.
Are your animals marked?
In Germany we have an exhibition called "Zoo Mockba".
Here you found some more information. 
Zoo Mockba Boris Worobjew. 
And here some more animals made by Boris Worobjew (Picture Zoo Mockba).
Russian Celluloid Zoo-mo10
Benno.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 8:32 am

They look gorgeous affraid

I had two dolls made from Celluid when I was a child.
The material was rather brittle, so these models are certainly great rarities Applause

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 11:49 am

Beautiful models, I love the wolf! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 1:29 pm

Surely it is an important contribution. That wolf is quite impressive, it looks almost like a polar bear.
Interesting the word Mockba, It is not a transliteration but a direct replacement of the Cyrillic letters by Latin ones.

Country/State : USA/Illinois

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 5:53 pm

Thank You all and thank you Babdo for a beautiful photograph displaying these figures and the additional information. The OHK figures have a marking, but of the other four figures only the little tiger is marked and even looking at it with a jeweler's glass it is difficult for me to be sure of what it reads. I think it says Volka or something similar to that. I purchased the little tiger and rhinoceros from a seller in Germany. The larger hippopotamus and bison have no markings anywhere.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Babdo wrote:
Hello junglejim,
thank you for your information and congratulation for your animals.
Are your animals marked?
In Germany we have an exhibition called "Zoo Mockba".
Here you found some more information. 
Zoo Mockba Boris Worobjew. 
And here some more animals made by Boris Worobjew (Picture Zoo Mockba).
Russian Celluloid Zoo-mo10
Benno.

I have seen that in Dresden, only a few figures are really interesting as naturally figures.

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 6:12 pm

Extremly interesting stuff. To sad oftenonly common species.

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 9:35 pm

Very interesting and beautiful models!

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 12:41 am

This celluloid wolf is splendid, I have near 20 animals in this material.

There are fragile and lovely.

sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 12:58 am

junglejim wrote:

These are hollow hand painted celluloid that were primarily sculpted by a renowned animalier artist Boris Vorobyov who also did sculpting for Lomonosov of porcelain animal figures.  
Russian Celluloid Img_4912[/url]

these are such beautiful models! I love them, and I never knew this sculptor also did figures for Lomonosov. I have a quite a few beautiful porcelain animals from there. I really love the Russian style in animal figures, regardless of the material used - wood, plastic, porcelain!
thank you for sharing all this info! and your collection is very wonderful Applause
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 6:36 pm

Wonderful wolf, bears and indian elephant! Thank you for sharing such beauties junglejim! cheers cheers 

In France we had celluloïd productions too (By Petitcollin for exemple), but they have bee forbidden rather soon because they were easily inflammable! :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Russian Celluloid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Russian Celluloid   Russian Celluloid Empty

Back to top Go down

Russian Celluloid
Page 1 of 1