Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fixing broken legs?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Fixing broken legs?  Empty
PostSubject: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 3:21 pm

Tragedy struck this morning, and in a strange series of movements, I somehow flung a small plastic dog into my shelf of stablemates, crashing several of them down. Crying or Very sad Thankfully only one of them broke, but I am pretty bummed about her! I have used acetone in the past to fix snapped legs, and it works pretty well as long as the horse doesn't move much again, but it's also far from secure. I had a unicorn horn re-break multiple times with acetone. And this one isn't a very clean break, it will continue to look broken even if I got it stuck back on. What are my options? Does anyone have any beginner level processes for patching a break? I don't currently have any kind of sculpting material or the correct kind of paint - what would I get? I can tell it wouldn't need a ton of either, I just don't know what I'm looking for or how to use it or if it will work well (or if it is expensive?). I don't really mind if she's repaired and not "mint" since I don't plan to sell her, but I would like her to stand and look whole on the shelf again! She is one of my childhood horses that made it this far, only to be struck down at the least likely time.

Thank you!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 5:08 pm

Any model shop should be bale to help with paint. Two brand I like are Tamiya and Vallejo. Glue can be tricky as it depends on the type of plastic that the item is made of.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 5:42 pm

I haven't glued any Stablemates, but for other figures, I use Loctite "all plastics", as it holds on most plastics. I'd try it out on a broken Stablemate that isn't valuable first (e.g., one that has paint rubs or a missing limb). Use very little glue.

The "good" thing is that it is broken where the paint is black. Black paint is usually much easier to match than other colours. If the break is clean, you may not even have to touch it up.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 5:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Breyer cellulose acetate is tricky with glue, I know, and I'm not sure what does and does not work but I do know things like super glue, gorilla glue, etc do not. I think most people use some kind of sculpting putty or epoxy? Acetone works to melt the acetate and reseal the pieces together, but it is a fragile bond. I've never heard of Loctite, thank you for the suggestion, I would be curious to know if it worked on Breyers . . . I'm not sure I have a sacrificial body to try on though, ha!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you for the paint suggestions!
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 5:57 pm

I've mended Breyer SM legs with superglue gel before, it sticks permanently and quickly, and stays strong enough forever afterwards.
It doesn't have to be the gel one, if that's just not available there - the liquid also works, but it's much harder to control as it's so fluid it will just go everywhere before you've even realised it's got out of control, and then you've got weirdly hot-feeling fingers glued together, or one speck on your finger printed elsewhere on the model and you've got a spoilt paintjob. The gel one stays exactly where you put it Laughing
It also has the advantage of drying with a bit more bulk to it than the liquid one, so it acts as filler to smooth out the join and fill in any voids left by the plastic having bent as it broke.

A lot of people say you have to drill and pin broken legs on models, but for a small light horse like a Stablemate, with a sedate life on the shelf and gentle occasional handling for dusting or re-organising etc, superglue is enough - pinning might be more trustworthy if you have a large heavy one in an action pose where one leg takes much of the weight, or want to keep wrapping and boxing the model to take to live shows, but not needed for a simple standing-four-square SM.

I was relieved as I scrolled down and saw her leg was black at the point of breaking, as this makes the fix ten times easier for you!

Here's how I'd do it...

Test the ends of the leg together without glue first, get really sure in the exact angle you need to be aligning them at. Don't fret too much if it's not a clean break, any rough edge can be dealt with later.

Apply a dot of glue to the end of the leg still attached to the horse. If your glue doesn't have a very fine nozzle (I don't know what brands or packaging types are available there), apply it to a pin first, then use the pin to dab it in place.

Leave it a few seconds while holding the model upside down - the glue won't set instantly and I find it's better to let it half-dry beforehand rather than while trying to hold the leg perfectly still all that time.

Press the leg into the glue, checking your alignment from the front as well as the side. Again, the glue isn't instantaneous, you have time to check and double check before it'll grab too firmly to re-adjust.

Very quickly wipe away any excess glue which has spilled to the side, as long as you move your finger fast you won't get stuck to the model, and the glue will peel off skin really easily later on, you don't need solvent or anything, just a bit of water to loosen the edge and it all lifts off, pain-free.

Hold the model carefully for about 30 seconds, just to supervise and make sure it stays in one piece while the glue finishes setting. You shouldn't have to touch the leg to keep it straight, but occasionally it does need a slight support or nudge in the first few seconds to stop it moving while the glue's still soft.

Once the glue is entirely solid, you can inspect the smoothness of the join. And here's where you're really, really glad the model is black - it's the easiest colour to match, and you don't have to worry about translucency of plastic or speckling or shading, it's just plain black and any paint or even ink will match it.

If the mend is neat but you can see a tiny tiny bit of the white plastic showing like a hairline crack, just rub a little paint or even black ink in there, and it'll be hidden enough for shelf display.

If you had slightly too much glue, or the plastic was a little bit warped out of shape leaving an overlap, and the join is lumpy outwards, you can use some fine sandpaper or one of those fine cardboard nail files to rub it down. Don't worry about marking the paint a little bit on either side of the mend, that will paint over just fine.

If there's a groove or dent in the leg, you can apply a bit more glue in layers and leave it to dry, then file it down as above. I really wouldn't bother investing in sculpting material just for such a miniscule amount of filling a snapped leg would need - even though I have the stuff in stock at all times, for mending try I to avoid using it just for speed and simplicity sake - the glue itself will fill that space.

Finally, apply your paint - expect to use three or four thin layers in a smudging motion, leaving drying time between, rather than trying to cover in one layer brushstroked on. I know you're familiar with painting of all kinds, and have currently got paints in the house cos I remember seeing your custom even though I can't remember his name, so I won't go through what to buy, you're good for that section of the process Laughing

Most brands of acrylic paints have a slight sheen to them which I find matches really well with the finish of Breyer's OF paint.
But if it's looking slightly more matte than your model once it's dried, a careful polish with a bit of fleece or blanket puts just enough shine on it to blend in.
And if it seems to be more shiny than the OF bits of the leg, give it one more rub with a dry soft paintbrush while it's drying, and that mattes it down a bit!

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 6:02 pm

Thank you, George! I am surprised super glue is your go to! I've never had it work well in the past, but I guess it was larger models that I was then probably playing with, and so of course they couldn't withstand being galloped on tables. We do have gel super glue, and might even have some in the house, so that will be wonderful if it will work.

Thank you for the detailed steps, that helps immensely! Good point about the black, both George and Roger, I'm not sure what I would have done if it had been her white leg. Just hope you couldn't see the crack I guess.
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 6:05 pm

Jill wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Breyer cellulose acetate is tricky with glue, I know, and I'm not sure what does and does not work but I do know things like super glue, gorilla glue, etc do not. I think most people use some kind of sculpting putty or epoxy? Acetone works to melt the acetate and reseal the pieces together, but it is a fragile bond. I've never heard of Loctite, thank you for the suggestion, I would be curious to know if it worked on Breyers . . .

Superglue does, that's what I've always used without issues, unless brands are such different formulas in the US and yours don't work but ours do?! I buy either the Loctite brand, or one made by Stanley (as in Stanley Knives) when I couldn't get the other. As long as it's the gel texture it's fine, promise Laughing I could find you a whole row of SMs which have Loctite Superglue mends where they arrived broken for my body box and now you can't tell their feet/ears/tails were ever off Laughing

Epoxy putty isn't sticky enough to reattach a limb on it's own, it's more for filling spaces when there's lost material (think smashed china horse where not all the bits were found), or repositioning by cutting a piece out of the joint you want to adjust. It tends to drop off, too - I've made replacement ears and hooves for wrecked bodies and the putty bit almost always falls off and needs supergluing back on - to the point where if I do one now, I sculpt it in place, let it dry then deliberately nudge it off and glue it back on before painting, just so I know it'll stay there!

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 6:09 pm

I hope it's not a different formula, I hope it was just me not using it correctly in the past. We tried to glue many a leg of the horses I had as a kid and never had success, and memory suggests they just wouldn't stick, that the glue would just peel off and wouldn't adhere to the surface. But that was a long time ago and it's quite likely we weren't doing it properly or something . . .

My dad and I did try to pin my Native Dancer's broken leg long ago. It is VERY rough looking, but the leg IS attached. Laughing My dear old Dad is so patient and willing to help with my model stuff, even when it is way out of his experience of how to drill tiny holes into tiny legs and stick tiny rods of metal into them.
Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 18, 2022 6:21 pm

Perhaps the glue itself has been updated enough since we were little? I know they've changed the range at least twice just in the 15 years I've been doing modelmaking - when I first started there was standard superglue which marked leather and ribbon badly, and the gel one which was great for both those as well as repairs and construction for dolls' house miniatures, and I loved it.
Then they changed it to some all-purpose version and it was terrible, soaked in to fabric and leather so it made stains and didn't stick, and I stopped tack-making cos I just couldn't use the glue anymore!
And then suddenly a few years ago, the multi-purpose one is gel, and works again. We're still on that version, thankfully - I just hope they never 'improve' it again Laughing

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Thank you to everyone for the glue suggestion and George for the step by step instructions! The surgery is complete and I think a success. You can definitely tell it's there if you're looking, but it looks convincing on the shelf. While I was at it, I fixed Mira's horn, and that's pretty seamless! I'm glad super glue has come a long way since I was nine. Laughing

I also glued the tip back onto the wing of my wrinkle faced bat, which I accidentally snipped off when cutting open the package.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] It's not as clean and you can definitely tell it's been repaired, but at least it's on there. I have pretty shaky hands and lining up these teeny pieces is tricky. Laughing

Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 3:56 pm

Aww, good for the little arab mare, I'm glad it was such a success:!(o)): And I love how she looks like the kind of very marish mare who's giving you the evil eye for trying to check up on any injuries as they heal - "My leg is FINE stop LOOKING at it and if you think you're coming anywhere near me with stinky antiseptic I will just HAVE to bite you"

Superglue really is the best stuff to have on hand, just in case!

Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyMon Apr 25, 2022 4:02 pm

This mold has SUCH a "I will bite you if you try me" face. Laughing
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 2:39 am

that's a wonderful leg repair ! So glad you fixed her Jill :)

I didn't know super glue came in a gel formula ? How times have changed Very Happy
Thanks George, that's great to know. I'm sure it will help me fix a lot of my broken models too Applause
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 9:34 pm

Great repairs, I can't see them!

PostSubject: Re: Fixing broken legs?    Fixing broken legs?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Fixing broken legs?
Page 1 of 1