Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fossil cast

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Fossil cast Empty
PostSubject: Fossil cast   Fossil cast EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 5:58 am

I found this at a thrift store, appears to be a plaster cast of a fossil. Maybe a claw from a larger raptor. What do the letters and numbers painted on it mean?
Thanks! (know we have plenty of knowledgeable people here)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

Fossil cast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil cast   Fossil cast EmptyTue May 24, 2022 8:09 pm

If it feels hollow and like plastic it is a cast (best way to find out is by checking if it burns with a lighter but that would risk damaging a really nice lookin cast), normally casts don't have such numbers written on them and the colouration also makes it look like a real fossil, but that is just me looking at a photo and when one takes the time, you can perfectly recreate the colouration of a real fossil, I could tell more easily if I was looking at it directly.
Could be a Utahraptor toe claw.
At first I thought Baryonyx thumb claw due to the size but Utahraptor toe claws are roughly that size too.
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Fossil cast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil cast   Fossil cast EmptyWed May 25, 2022 5:00 am

A museum employee on another forum I'm on said it's definitely a cast, and the numbers are typical cataloguing information- at least here in the US. She said the code indicates it came from a school in Utah's paleontology department or the attatched museum. That would tend to support a Utahraptor cast!

It's a mystery how it ended up in a thrift store in Florida though.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Fossil cast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil cast   Fossil cast EmptyWed May 25, 2022 5:02 am

Thats a neat find! Delayed as my post is... it looks exactly like my Utahraptor cast I got at a museum, so that would be my guess. What a fun find!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Fossil cast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil cast   Fossil cast EmptyWed May 25, 2022 9:09 am

A magnificent cast !!!! In the photo it looks completely like areal fossile affraid

Congratulations with your great thrift store find Applause

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Fossil cast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil cast   Fossil cast EmptyWed May 25, 2022 5:29 pm

Nice

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fossil cast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fossil cast   Fossil cast Empty

Back to top Go down

Fossil cast
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Non toy animal items-
Jump to: