Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)

Go down 
+7
Caracal
Bonnie
Jill
George
Saarlooswolfhound
SUSANNE
Concavenator
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Concavenator

Concavenator

Country/State : Spain

Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 27, 2023 1:38 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Binomial name: Velociraptor mongoliensis (Osborn, 1924)
Name etymology: “Swift robber from Mongolia” (Latin)
Classified as: Dinosauria -> Ornithoscelida -> Theropoda -> Neotheropoda -> Averostra -> Tetanurae -> Coelurosauria -> Tyrannoraptora -> Maniraptoromorpha -> Neocoelurosauria -> Maniraptoriformes -> Maniraptora -> Pennaraptora -> Paraves -> Eumaniraptora -> Deinonychosauria -> Dromaeosauridae -> Eudromaeosauria -> Velociraptorinae
Period: Late Cretaceous (Campanian)
Fossils found in: Djadochta Formation, present day Mongolia (Asia)

Company: Creative Beast Studio
Line: Beasts of the Mesozoic: Raptor Series
Sculptor: David Silva
Color scheme inspired by: Gypaetus barbatus Linnaeus 1758 (bearded vulture)
Year of release: 2022

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.deviantart.com/5aurophaganax
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 9:15 am

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 7:22 am

I noticed you chose the Safari Ltd Icthyosaurus instead of the Carnegie (it's mine Wink ) Is there any reason ?
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 1:48 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I noticed you chose the Safari Ltd Icthyosaurus instead of the Carnegie (it's mine Wink ) Is there any reason ?

Those two are very nice, I don’t have a clear favorite. I tried looking for the Carnegie too, but it’s very rare now. All the Carnegies that I have I got when they were in production.

But the Safari Ichthyosaurus is very nice too!

DeviantArt

Instagram
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 18, 2023 2:55 pm

Binomial name: Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis (Gilmore, 1931)
Name etymology: “Thick-headed lizard from Wyoming” (Greek and Latin)
Classified as: Dinosauria -> Ornithoscelida -> Ornithischia -> Genasauria -> Neornithischia -> Marginocephalia -> Pachycephalosauria -> Pachycephalosauridae -> Pachycephalosaurinae
Period: Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian)
Fossils found in: Hell Creek Formation, present day USA (North America), Lance Formation, present day USA (North America)

Company: PNSO
Line: Prehistoric Animal Models
Sculptor: somebody from Zhao Chuang’s atelier
Year of release: 2021

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 18, 2023 3:16 pm

The happiness you show for having acquired this figure is evident. Some figures are truly special to us, and I believe only other collectors are capable of understanding the experience. I am curious to read about any new findings regarding this animal. It's interesting to imagine the meaning behind the words of a pachy's mother when she tells it to use its head. bom

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 11:51 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Indeed! Feels great to get such a good figure of one of your favorite (prehistoric in my case) animals! Very Happy

As to how will new findings alter the appearance of Pachycephalosaurus, that will be interesting to see. Since the kangaroo-like kickboxing thing was brought up, I imagine they had quite a bulky tail. Other than that, in principle depicting it with the typical pachycephalosaurid  bauplan seems reasonable.

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 19, 2023 12:15 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2023 10:06 am

I now have all the centrosaurine genera that I needed!  Cool

Also, interesting to see how Safari’s, PNSO’s and HLG’s ceratopsids look alongside each other.

DeviantArt

Instagram
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2023 12:06 pm

It is wonderful to have now so much choice among dinosaurs production that it is possible to collect at the species nivel!

three wonderful models! cheers cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 21, 2023 4:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you! And that’s a good point. Right now, when it comes to collecting dinosaur figures, as time goes on there are more and more options for different species, and the quality is higher than ever.

Several years ago, I would sometimes buy a figure because I was simply impressed by it, without caring too much about what animal it represented. I no longer do that, seeing I can now get really good figures of the species I’m most interested in. This market has evolved dramatically in recent years.

DeviantArt

Instagram
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 12:15 pm

*deleted*

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 02, 2024 2:33 pm

Binomial name: Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai (Currie, Langston & Tanke, 2008)
Name etymology: “[Al] Lakusta’s thick-nosed lizard” (Greek)
Classified as: Dinosauria -> Ornithoscelida -> Ornithischia -> Genasauria -> Neornithischia -> Marginocephalia -> Ceratopsia -> Neoceratopsia -> Coronosauria -> Ceratopsoidea -> Ceratopsidae -> Centrosaurinae -> Pachyrhinosaurini -> Pachyrostra
Period: Late Cretaceous (Campanian)
Fossils found in: Wapiti Formation, present day Canada (North America)

Company: Safari Ltd.
Line: Wild Safari Prehistoric World
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Year of release: 2013

Review:

Spoiler:

DeviantArt

Instagram

Last edited by Concavenator on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 02, 2024 2:54 pm

One ceratopsian more! drunken
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 5:51 am

Using Alain's post, why do you think so many different ceratopsian figures are released now and so many different species are featured. There was a time where triceratops represented almost exclusively this group of animals but now a good number of species are popular and so many unusual ones are replicated.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 6:15 am

I don’t think it is a Ceratopsian thing, it’s the same for sauropods, theropods and ornithopods
Back to top Go down
Concavenator

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 12:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] One more (Safari’s Pachyrhinosaurus) and one less, too (Haolonggood’s Pachyrhinosaurus)!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I think they simply happen to be one group of animals people are into. While in general they’re certainly well-represented, some of them are more overlooked: Chasmosaurus, Anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops, Centrosaurus… These are all classic, well-preserved and relatively famous taxa, but they get overshadowed both by the very most famous ones (Triceratops, Styracosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus) and by new ones (Diabloceratops, Kosmoceratops…).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Right now, the market’s preference for theropods is clearer than ever, I’d say. Recently, ornithopods have received more attention, but the ones that have been getting it are essentially just hadrosaurids. When it comes to sauropods, my impression is that ~ 50 % of them are Diplodocus figures and the other ~ 50 % are figures or large titanosaurs. Laughing But at least Haolonggood has recently been offering a good selection of sauropods, and they apparently have plans to keep doing so this year.

DeviantArt

Instagram
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 5:40 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I don’t think it is a Ceratopsian thing, it’s the same for sauropods, theropods and ornithopods
Maybe you are right, now many taxa are very well represented in terms of diversity. Though, I have the idea the number of ceratopsian species expanded a lot even before this boom of prehistoric figures. Our traditional brands were already exploring a good number of them. Maybe it happened with all others in a similar extent and I didn't pay atention.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 1:29 pm

Roger wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
Maybe you are right, now many taxa are very well represented in terms of diversity. Though, I have the idea the number of ceratopsian species expanded a lot even before this boom of prehistoric figures. Our traditional brands were already exploring a good number of them. Maybe it happened with all others in a similar extent and I didn't pay atention.

In the world of toys, in 2023 alone, 27 species of theropods have been recorded [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], compared with just 7 species of Ceratopsians.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 1:49 pm

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 8:21 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

In the world of toys, in 2023 alone, 27 species of theropods have been recorded [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], compared with just 7 species of Ceratopsians.

Even admitting that theropods are typically common, 2023 was a quite unique year in that regard.

Concavenator

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 06, 2024 3:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Indeed, several years ago, both Safari and CollectA would release at least a new ceratopsian every year. Most of them were newly-described genera.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This site lists 195 theropods released in 2023 compared to 35 ceratopsians.

DeviantArt

Instagram
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 07, 2024 6:23 am

Concavenator wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Indeed, several years ago, both Safari and CollectA would release at least a new ceratopsian every year. Most of them were newly-described genera.

That's exactly what I was trying to mention. An interesting phenomenon that has been developing over these last few years, I wasn't referring specifically to 2023, which is an atypical year. However, I recognize that by placing minimal focus on prehistoric figures, it's natural to have a slightly distorted view of the market.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:57 pm

Concavenator wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This site lists 195 theropods released in 2023 compared to 35 ceratopsians.

Very interresting  Very Happy I'm not specialised in prehistoric products and, unfortunately, Takama has stopped supplying our yearly "Prehistoric wildlife from all brands".
I'm quite pleased to see that, apart from the action figures and collectables, I'm not too far off the mark.
That said, if anyone wants to do the job, they're more than welcome.  Wink

Roger wrote:
Concavenator wrote:

That's exactly what I was trying to mention. An interesting phenomenon that has been developing over these last few years, I wasn't referring specifically to 2023, which is an atypical year. However, I recognize that by placing minimal focus on prehistoric figures, it's natural to have a slightly distorted view of the market.

As I have to fill in the "Prehistoric wildlife from all brands without map" topic every year, it keeps me up to date and keeps me young.  Laughing
2023 is not such an atypical year: counting only CollectA and Safari Ltd, between 2013 and 2023, the two brands produced 12 different species of Ceratopsians and 47 species of Theropods.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 7:52 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

2023 is not such an atypical year: counting only CollectA and Safari Ltd, between 2013 and 2023, the two brands produced 12 different species of Ceratopsians and 47 species of Theropods.

Christophe, you have the numbers, I have just a perception which is not as accurate as I thought.
You're doing a fantastic job with all these topics but it is really one of those topics which deserved a dedicated mentor. You have many other things to keep you busy on forum and TAW.

PostSubject: Re: Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)   Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Concavenator’s Collection (new 8/5/2024)
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next