Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)

Go down 
+3
Roger
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) Empty
PostSubject: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyMon May 30, 2022 11:29 am

Hello friends!
This weekend I got to travel to visit my eldest sister and her family for her oldest son's graduation. It was nice to get out of town.

But because we had some extra time we got to stop at one of my favorite places, Fossil Butte National Monument! It was an old Eocene age lake and now contains some of the best preserved fossil specimens in the world! You can read more about it here: https://www.nps.gov/fobu/index.htm

Anyway, I love to stop here and visit this place every few trips that way as I always learn something new! I didn't get to photograph everything in this small museum as it had a fair few visitors but I enjoyed our little stop nonetheless. Enjoy the photos and if you have any questions let me know and I can try to answer them!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I got a Tshirt with this handsome guy on it. Wink

This was a new exhibit. You could touch the fossil and a digital fish would swim by on the screen as a narrator told you about the animal. I had fun with it!

Not the greatest photos of them but I blame the camera...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyMon May 30, 2022 11:31 am

I have more photos from past trips.. maybe I will add them later on. Very Happy

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyMon May 30, 2022 1:12 pm

This is truely amazing affraid

SO many and SO beautyful, and SO many dfferent species, - even an early horse !!!! cheers

And all f these have been lying buried in the same are for ...how long ? drunken

Thankyou very much for sharing.
I learned something new today thanks to you Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyMon May 30, 2022 5:39 pm

Magical place to be visited. It is so kind that you hsare pictures of this place with us. I think I never visited anything like this. Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyTue May 31, 2022 12:10 am

Wonderful place. I visited a similar place in Germany, Solnhofen

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyTue May 31, 2022 1:50 pm

Thank you Susanne, Roger, and Andreas!

Susanne these sediments are approximately 53-49 million years old! This visit there was a ranger doing a presentation on the bats found there. If you look closely, the bat on the right has small claws on the ends of his winged fingers, indicating it wasn't a good flier yet, while the bat on the left has more modern proportions and skull features indicating it could fly and even echolocate!

And thank you Andreas! I am going to do some reading on that other fossil deposit you mentioned after work. :)

Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyTue May 31, 2022 6:44 pm

that looks amazing, I really like the shoal of small fish swimming :)
and the fossils are so attractively displayed in those recessed beds in the stone. I would love to visit!
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyThu Jun 02, 2022 3:11 pm

What a fantastic place to visit!!and so many superb fossils

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) EmptyThu Jun 02, 2022 7:44 pm

This looks like such a fun place to visit, the fish thing is cool! Going on the 'to do' list if I ever get to travel out West. It looks like the climate there then was similar to what it is where I am now. The palm fronds looks just like the palmettos so prevalent here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)   Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA) Empty

Back to top Go down

Fossil Butte National Monument (Near Kemmerer Wyoming USA)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: What else ? :: Zoos, aquariums and museums...-
Jump to: