Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Loon

Loon

Country/State : California, United States

Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) Empty
PostSubject: Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022)   Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 10:17 am

Sometimes, a figure just won’t do what you want it to, even if that task is something as simple as standing up. That was the case here, with the Favorite Tarbosaurus. I love this model and think it’s honestly one of the better tyrannosaurs on the market, but the struggles I’ve had getting it to stay upright. Boy, do I miss the days when the worst thing to happen involved a figure falling over.
Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) PXL-20220628-204610381-MP
Anyway... I live in Southern California and the summer heat can sometimes do quite the number on my figures, particularly theropods (I’m looking at you, Papo Malibu Stork), and warp their legs to the point of them no longer being able to stand. My Australovenator was hit so badly that I could no longer get it to stand even when I tried to warp the legs back, so I commissioned a base from Dinosaur Toy Forum member, paintingdinos.
Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) 2022-06-28-09-53-34
At one point, I considered this with my Tarbosaurus (I even sent it to her with the Australovenator), but, I decided to cancel that commission and sell it. Then, I started to miss the figure, and my lack of will led me to buy it again. This time, finally, I gave in and realized the only way it would continue to stand would be with some help.
Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) PXL-20220628-204444834-MP
Paintingdinos absolutely knocked my socks of here. There’s something transcendental about this base, it feels alive in a way that makes you forget it exists to prop up a figure l. Looking at the floor, you can tell this is a place that has been shaped by animals. The Tarbosaurus footprints are just so inspiring, they’ve clearly filled up with some water and I can imagine smaller animals drinking out of them. BTW, the muddy look is inspired by paintingdinos’ research into the Nemegt Formation, which yielded information about there being some floodplains.
Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) PXL-20220628-204455744-MP
The tree (would you call such a thing a stump?) is definitely a contender for the best part of the base. No joke, I, for a brief moment fooled myself into think that it was in fact real wood. It’s not, it’s made of foam, but that says something. I also love the little notch that the Tarbosaurus’ hand can fit into for extra support.
Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) PXL-20220628-204537796-MP
Bases usually register such little emotion from me. They’re either flat bits of  blandly sculpted unpainted plastic that, no matter what habitat the animal occupied, look like sand, or overblown nightmares that take up more room than the figure itself. This base is the perfect refutation of both those ideas. It’s not huge, but it packs such a punch, and it actually helps the figure stand. I’m so grateful To paintingdinos for making this and helping one of my favorites (pun intended) be able to live on my shelves once again.

So, that’s it for now. There’s 3 more customs to share and I’ll probably post the next one in a couple of days. In the meantime, you should really check out paintingdinos' thread on the horribly acronymed DTF: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5847.0

Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022)   Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022) EmptyWed Jun 29, 2022 6:33 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down

Customs from paintingdinos: Tarbosaurus base (6/29/2022)
Page 1 of 1