Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs" Empty
PostSubject: Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"   Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs" EmptyWed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 pm

Here are pics that show the differences between the figures -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

this are figures where i believe there are also similar Kaiyodo figures

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by widukind on Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"   Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs" EmptyWed Nov 30, 2022 2:46 pm

Not sure I would call the first two 'knockoffs' technically. There may not be a precise definition for 'knockoff' but to me it implies the sculpt was copied, so it should be the same size (however, these were clearly influenced by the Kaiyodo figures).

the bottom fish looks like a knockoff/influence of the Colorata fish more than the Kaiyodo figure (which technically is a different species than the Colorata species, which is interesting as I just presented the Colorata species in my daily Museum post just a couple days ago!).
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"   Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs" EmptyWed Nov 30, 2022 5:10 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Not sure I would call the first two 'knockoffs' technically. There may not be a precise definition for 'knockoff' but to me it implies the sculpt was copied, so it should be the same size (however, these were clearly influenced by the Kaiyodo figures).

the bottom fish looks like a knockoff/influence of the Colorata fish more than the Kaiyodo figure (which technically is a different species than the Colorata species, which is interesting as I just presented the Colorata species in my daily Museum post just a couple days ago!).

I think you are right with the fish. I was only focused of Kaiyodo. And with the thing of the knockoffs it is exactly the reason why i opended the knockoff topic in the past. I think it is a new kind off. Not really knockoffs but we all knows the real figure.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"   Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs" EmptyWed Nov 30, 2022 7:30 pm

The Cambridge dictionary says that a knock-off is "a cheap copy of a popular product" whereas the Oxford dictionary has a wider definition and says that it is "a copy or imitation, especially of an expensive product". Regardless of the exact semantics, these companies earn money by using the design of other companies.

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"   Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs" EmptyThu Dec 01, 2022 10:02 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
The Cambridge dictionary says that a knock-off is "a cheap copy of a popular product" whereas the Oxford dictionary has a wider definition and says that it is "a copy or imitation, especially of an expensive product". Regardless of the exact semantics, these companies earn money by using the design of other companies.

I agree, Roger!
It's a kind of parasitic behavior from their side. Even if the copyright laws vary in different countries.

With 3D scanning and printing technology, the size difference does not indicate that something is not a knock-off. You can print from a file in any size. A scanned and re-printed design is still a stolen design, just like it would be if they took a mold from it.

A different story would be if the company bought the design with copyright directly from Kaiyodo. But how can we know?

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"   Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs" Empty

Back to top Go down

Kaiyodo and chinese "knockoffs"
Page 1 of 1