Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Some dog breed comparisons

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Some dog breed comparisons Empty
PostSubject: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyTue 07 Mar 2023, 15:08

Irish Red Setter-not a common breed anymore.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jack Russell- a very popular breed in the UK but not so common in model form.

The new Schleich Great Dane with my other models.

English Springer spaniel-again a very popular breed but not so common in model form-the ERTL models seem more like a Brittany spaniel to me.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyTue 07 Mar 2023, 17:09

Very interesting

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyTue 07 Mar 2023, 19:39

Wonderful figures! I like the setters best.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyTue 07 Mar 2023, 19:40

Very useful photos and the only non British brand is the Great Dane which is not Danish either. Laughing
It is a pity the only known figure of the giant English Mastiff is the Wild Republic moveable.

I asked the most famous AI program of the moment why is the German Mastiff popular known as a Danish dog when it is Deutsch instead and here is the answer:

"The Great Dane became associated with Denmark in popular culture due to its use in a marketing campaign for a Danish brand of canned meat in the early 20th century. The brand, known as "Gammel Dansk" or "Old Danish", featured a stylized image of a Great Dane on its label. This image was widely circulated and became synonymous with the brand, and by extension, Denmark itself.

The association was further cemented when an American cartoonist named J. R. Bray created a cartoon character called "Marmaduke" in 1954. Marmaduke was a Great Dane who was depicted as living in a suburban American household, but he often made references to his "Danish heritage" and was shown wearing a Danish flag collar. This portrayal further contributed to the association between Great Danes and Denmark in popular culture."

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyTue 07 Mar 2023, 20:07

Thank you all folks.
Roger,its interesting to hear about how the Deutsche Dogge or Ulmer dog became a Great Dane,even though the dog had a very long history in Germany as a hunting/guard dog and was even favoured by the man that did a great deal for Germany,Bismarck.
Also that Great Dane was used by Captain Graham in his recreation of that iconic Irish dog breed-the Irish Wolfhound.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyTue 07 Mar 2023, 22:40

It is much more interesting reading you, Taylor. We learn a lot with dogs, it is like collecting horse breeds or so, they tell a lot about the history of each country or region.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyWed 08 Mar 2023, 22:01

So many wonderful comparisons of some really interesting breed choices! cheers cheers cheers
The setters are stunning, it's a shame hey aren't as common now in real life but it's so lovely to have so many beautiful models of this breed in figure form! Very Happy I love the Ertl pair and the vintage model at the back is lovely too- I can't decided whether my favourite setter model would be CollectA's or Bullyland's study . Both lovely! Jack Russells are wonderful too, as you ay they're very popular over here so I'm surprised there aren't more models of this breed! The Breyer is stunning. And a very impressive collection of Danes!! It's a breed that I think is on the whole done very well across the brands, especially by Safari and Papo! I love you Gorgeous Springers too, I'm surprised there aren't more models of this breed as well but then again maybe they are only really popular here in the UK! I can imagine a brand like Papo could make a really beautiful springer! Very Happy I'd agree too and those Ertl models do look more like Brittanys, interesting the way brands often seem to do this! Laughing scratch
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyThu 21 Dec 2023, 10:11

Sorry for bringing back this topic but if it is easy for you to find the AAA spaniel, could you please share a picture for TAW?

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyThu 21 Dec 2023, 21:31

Is this the model you mean?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons EmptyThu 21 Dec 2023, 22:25

Yes, it is Taylor! Isn't it marked AAA? I will put your picture on TAW since this model is missing.

PostSubject: Re: Some dog breed comparisons   Some dog breed comparisons Empty

Back to top Go down

Some dog breed comparisons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions :: Comparison topics-
Jump to: