Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

shades variation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 12:04 am

shades variation 3_lzoo10

shades variation 3_lzoo11

shades variation 3_lzoo12

Last edited by Caracal on Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 12:17 am

Very different, they're certainly from different production batches as you can probably see in the numbers marked on them. Which one is your favorite?

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 9:57 am

I bought the one in the middle a long time ago, then I received the pale one on the top left from ebay and finaly, yesterday, the top right one arrived at home with its more marked spots. It is the model I prefer but the head is a little  too colored. She is carved "2003 made in China" like the 2 other ones but there is a black number more: "1607". Very Happy

Last edited by Caracal on Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 10:42 am

Interesting comparison. Do you think they are random variations or systematic ones? By random, I mean that just by accident, Papo sometimes uses a more orange paint and sometimes a more yellow paint, sometimes it sprays more on the nose, etc. By systematic, I mean that Papo changed the production process or made a deliberate decision to change the way they painted the leopards. It looks like the spots are always made with the same "stamp" is that right?

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 11:00 am

Very interresting comparison topic, mine is of the first batch produced by Papo and I would be happy to compare with yours. Could you show us their heads, face and profile ? Very Happy

Roger, I can't tell if all of them are systematic variations but it is sure Papo did systematic ones. Today's painting are very different (and often worse alas) than first batch ones. What I mean exactly is new animals like their birds are very nicely painted but when you look at an Hiippopotamus, a lion or a tiger,nowadays prods are only ghosts of the previous ones.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 7:08 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Interesting comparison. Do you think they are random variations or systematic ones? By random, I mean that just by accident, Papo sometimes uses a more orange paint and sometimes a more yellow paint, sometimes it sprays more on the nose, etc. By systematic, I mean that Papo changed the production process or made a deliberate decision to change the way they painted the leopards. It looks like the spots are always made with the same "stamp" is that right?

Thank you Roger! Very Happy

At the first glance, I though the spots were all made with the same stamp but closer views show that the little ones are different on the head and the neck. There are surely random variations but sytemic ones too for sure. The leopard on top right, the" more spotted" one is made in a different PVC, its tail is far more supple!

Last edited by Caracal on Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 7:11 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Very interresting comparison topic, mine is of the first batch produced by Papo and I would be happy to compare with yours. Could you show us their heads, face and profile ? Very Happy

Roger, I can't tell if all of them are systematic variations but it is sure Papo did systematic ones. Today's painting are very different (and often worse alas) than first batch ones. What I mean exactly is new animals like their birds are very nicely painted but when you look at an Hiippopotamus, a lion or a tiger,nowadays prods are only ghosts of the previous ones.

Thank you Christophe Very Happy

here are some pictures more: (pale, medium, dark)

shades variation P2010110
shades variation P2010111
shades variation P2010112

Last edited by Caracal on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 7:14 pm

shades variation P2010113
shades variation P2010114
shades variation P2010115

shades variation P2010116
shades variation P2010117

According to me, the best leopard model among the main brands in spite of its big size (du calme Joe heu.. Christophe! Laughing ) but retired from the catalog since 2018..
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptySun Apr 09, 2023 8:56 pm

Merci Alain , I will make some pics of mine tomorow Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyMon Apr 10, 2023 1:10 am

Caracal wrote:
I bought the one in the middle a long time ago, then I received the pale one on the top left from ebay and finaly, yesterday, the top right one arrived at home with its more marked spots. It is the model I prefer but the head is a little  too colored. She is carved "2003 made in China" like the 2 other ones but there is a black number more: "1607". Very Happy

I was referring to that black painted number. It is the production batch. Probably manufactured in 2016 and surprisingly it is retired and nobody noticed. Laughing
The softer material is to put the children safety up to 10 months and more instead of 3 years age and more. I have a black panther of the same mold with a much softer material too. Thanks for providing the information and telling about your favorite. :)

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyMon Apr 10, 2023 8:43 am

You're right Rogério, it is no more on the catalog for 5 years and I didn't read any comment about that!..

I have 2 black ones marked "1606"" and "2205". Both are made with this same soft plastic but on the second one, the spots are more visible on the black fur.

So, turning back to the spotted ones, the "more spotted" of the 3, (on top right) is also the more recent and nevertheless, it received the best paintig according to me. The Papo painting degradation with time would not be a fatal law! Very Happy The 2 other ones, older, are very similar with just, as wrote Roger, a "random shades variation". I am waiting for a fourth one who will come in a lot from ebay. I shall add it on a comparison picture!..
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyMon Apr 10, 2023 10:21 am

It is very interesting

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyMon Apr 10, 2023 12:35 pm

Caracal wrote:
You're right Rogério, it is no more on the catalog for 5 years and I didn't read any comment about that!..

I have 2 black ones marked "1606"" and "2205". Both are made with this same soft plastic but on the second one, the spots are more visible on the black fur.

So, turning back to the spotted ones, the "more spotted" of the 3, (on top right) is also the more recent and nevertheless, it received the best paintig according to me. The Papo painting degradation with time would not be a fatal law! Very Happy The 2 other ones, older, are very similar with just, as wrote Roger, a "random shades variation". I am waiting for a fourth one who will come in a lot from ebay. I shall add it on a comparison picture!..

That's the exception which confirms the rule. Laughing I can't find a picture of my leopard, it is from an early production batch, let's hope I remember photographing it when back home but here is my black panther with spots, very soft material and with the number 2009 painted on it.
It means mine is an intermediate batch between yours. Mine from 2020  and yours 2016 and 2022. Do you think mine is different enough or is it hard to tell?

shades variation Papo-panther-spots

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyMon Apr 10, 2023 8:30 pm

I don't see any differences except the older one (1606) is more slim! Shocked

shades variation P2010118
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyMon Apr 10, 2023 10:16 pm

Especially if you like the model, it's great that there are so many variations because then you can collect several without having exactly the same model. Would the painting of the later Papo models be cheaper to produce than that for the first run? Otherwise, why would they change the painting?

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyMon Apr 10, 2023 11:36 pm

.. maybe because of its lack of attractivity Roger.. a more contrasted dress could be more appealing for children (like it is for me! Smile ! :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyTue Apr 11, 2023 12:58 am

Interesting the fact the older one is slimmer. Are the standard spotted ones more like the slimmer or the newer?
When a figure has been available for a long time and has good sales, as is likely the case for the panther figure, new mold pieces are often made when the older ones become worn. These new pieces are never perfect copies of the previous ones since a new prototype clay model is sculpted, visually copying from the standard figure. As it needs to be sculpted slightly larger to compensate for shrinkage during mold production, differences in bulkiness are common.

Admin
Kikimalou

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyTue Apr 11, 2023 5:30 pm

So here are pics of mine, from 2004 I'm affraid it is a mix of yours Laughing

shades variation Papo-Leopard-1

shades variation Papo-Leopard-2

shades variation Papo-Leopard-3

shades variation Papo-Leopard-4
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyTue Apr 11, 2023 6:10 pm

I've found a picture of my leopard, it is printed 1208 which means it is a 2012 production bath. It hurts to see my picture after Christophe's but at least it is informative, I hope.

shades variation 73506

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyThu Apr 13, 2023 12:00 am

This model seems to be an other colored version since it does not seem to have received colour inside its spots.

I checked, my 3 spotted leopard seem to be slim.

About the Christophe's one, from the first batch (2004), it is very similar to my medium one.

Many thanks to you both Rogério and Christophe! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 am

with one more, the third from the low:

shades variation P2050052

shades variation P2050053

It is lightly darker than the first and second ones (from the low) but seems to belong to the same production without any date indication. Probably "random variations" as wrote Roger.

shades variation P2050054

.. cleary separated from the upper one, more recent (2016), as printed in black on its chest..
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 6:22 pm

study study study study

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 9:36 pm

Yes we will name it Random cheers

When is the fifth one due? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 10:37 pm

Caracal wrote:
This model seems to be an other colored version since it does not seem to have received colour inside its spots.

I checked, my 3 spotted leopard seem to be slim.

About the Christophe's one, from the first batch (2004), it is very similar to my medium one.

Many thanks to you both Rogério and Christophe! Very Happy

Thanks for checking. I will try to remember taking a picture with natural light when I have the chance.
If my variation is of interest to you, I'd be glad to trade it for an ordinary version as long as it is nicely painted. Laughing Wink
I hope I explained the black numbers correctly. if your last one is marked 2016, it is not a 2016 production batch but 2020 instead. Only the first to numbers represent the year. Mine is from 2012 as I mentioned before. :)

shades variation Empty
PostSubject: Re: shades variation   shades variation Empty

Back to top Go down

shades variation
Page 1 of 1