Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here

Go down 
+12
Birdsage
A-J
Taos
Ana
sunny
Hippocollector
Saarlooswolfhound
rogerpgvg
Roger
Bonnie
Caracal
pipsxlch
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 1:51 pm

Hippocollector wrote:
I want to paint a nayab hippo but i never done this before so im afraid i could ruin the thing

Don't be afraid to try! You never learn unless you start somewhere Very Happy

I still have some repaints that I made when I started and even though they are far from perfect, I really love them and they are still dear to me. I love you

So I hope you will go for it too. And there are enough people here who will help you if you have questions or if you struggle with something. flower

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 3:28 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Curious what the markings are going to be!

yes me too at this point Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 3:34 am

Kikimalou wrote:
It would be very interesting to watch or to read how you remove the seams and bumps 😊

I will take some pics Christophe, but I use a scalpel with a triangle straight blade and I finely cut thru the seam, letting the blade glide along the surface of the body, like the body is being used as a guide.
The bumps I just knick off with the scalpel.
I try too be very careful and have something between the blade's path and my skin at all times, as it's very easy for the scalpel to slip. It's a long thin blade so putting my thumb in the way doesn't always work.
A Stanley could be just as good for this work, and be in much more control.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 3:34 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I cannot wait for your Hagerman horse! I should do one someday, as it is the state fossil for my homestate of Idaho. I can't wait to see your interpretation Annette!

Thank you Paige! I remember you talking about that and the Hagerman horse.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 11:07 am

sunny wrote:
very exciting to see the other animals being repainted and customized! Kelly's looks amazing by the way!

I will be painting a Hagerman horse, Equus simplicidens, from the Pliocene era.
The coat markings will be my interpretation of what they looked like Very Happy

I'm using a paint worn Britains zebra, and have started to remove the seams and bumps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yay, an ancient horse! I'll be very excited to see this! cheers

Hippocollector wrote:
I want to paint a nayab hippo but i never done this before so im afraid i could ruin the thing

If you're afraid of ruining a model, maybe choose one you have more copies of. Or maybe you have a figure already scratched and not in a good general state, so you would be less stressed about ruining it?

If you have any technical questions, feel free to ask! Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2023 6:35 pm

Here's the project I'm going to tackle. I wanted something with lots of hair and dynamism, so I think this is perfect:

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 02, 2023 10:44 am

Awesome choice A-J!! cheers

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2023 11:39 am

I chose this donkey foal by K. Parks (studio Thornrose).
Initially a miniature mule foal, it requires small resculpting to fit a donkey - the fur direction on donkeys' flanks is different than in horses and mules. I still need to resculpt the other side. And maybe add a bit more hair on the forehead Very Happy

I'll be aiming for a color similar to this one:

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2023 5:33 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2023 6:31 pm

I love little donkeys! I can't wait to see what you make of that St. Bernard A-J!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2023 9:03 pm

cheers cheers cheers

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyThu May 04, 2023 8:07 am

That's a sweet donkey, I'm looking forward to seeing it gaining more colour :)
Also, I didn't know about the fur direction it's always fun to learn something new. study

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySat May 06, 2023 4:10 pm

This is a Nayab aquatic bird (identified by the community as a finfoot) that I acquired relatively recently. I plan to paint it as a Sungrebe (Heliornis fulica), a Neotropical species of finfoot.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySat May 06, 2023 4:14 pm

Great idea Very Happy
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 10:35 am

Here's my 'before' picture, Papo's lovely pheasant!

I've noticed quite a lot of difference in pheasants, the ones I see locally aren't the same as on days out across different parts of the county. Various subspecies were introduced to the big estates, then naturalised, and hybridised, leaving us with lots of variation in colour and pattern. Some are almost entirely metallic dark blue, others copper and dark, and some carry a lot of pale grey and gold.

I've gathered up a folder of many different pheasants just for the curiosity of comparing them, and not long ago, I thought how much fun it would be to build a little collection of models, painted in the various colours I've spotted and photographed over the years.

So I'm nominating my first pheasant repaint as my Model Painting Month project, to encourage me to actually start this and not put it off cos it's complicated and difficult Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 3:54 pm

That is a SUPERB project idea George! Can't wait.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 4:55 pm

Can't wait to watch the first, then the second... cheers
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 9:23 pm

how exciting to see all these models ready for repainting and reconstruction in some cases Very Happy
George that is a splendid idea! and I look forward to seeing all your pheasants among your horses grazing in the meadows :)
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyTue May 09, 2023 12:41 pm

Yay for the two birds! Excellent choices, George and Birdsage!

Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 10, 2023 11:01 am

I'm curious to see how both of the birds will turn out! They both sound linke a great idea Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptySun May 14, 2023 8:16 pm

I totally missed this topic! Not sure if I can join this year due to sick members in the family.
Will see if I can do though. bounce
Love to see all of your projects in the works!
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2023 11:41 am

I thought I wouldn’t be able to do justice to any models in time to post something for this month, but I really wanted to, so at the last moment I found something that I was able to do over the last day or so. Very Happy  

I decided to repaint my spare Nature Techni Colour granular poison frog into a Rio Madeira poison frog, Adelphobates quinquevittatus. Instead of a magnet, this version had a hole underneath that I filled in. I also prepared a Safari good luck mini, pictured below, but I decided the NTC sculpture would work better for this species.

I’m including a couple progress pics in this post, too. The repaint is now finished so I’ll try to share final pictures very soon.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2023 3:55 pm

Wow, this frog already looks amazing. :) I can't wait to see the final photos.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 31, 2023 4:24 pm

Great and brave idea Applause Those Kitan are so tiny !
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 01, 2023 7:52 am

Wow, they look fantastic! And so tiny Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2