Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? Empty
PostSubject: Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?   Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 5:20 am

Chap Mei Lynx

Chap Mei snow leopard

I learned about a species cat, called a jungle cat (reed cat, swamp cat, jungle lynx) in Asia. From where I stand, this might be a better ID for personal collections as the main characteristic that doesn't fit (IMO) is that the tail is too long. Its got the long legs, ear tassles (more noticeable in some real animals than others of the species), and the pattern could be acceptable. What do you all think? Its a loose fitting species ID, but to me it suits it well enough.

P.S. I am not asking to change TAW's ID or anything. They were marketed as a lynx and snow leopard respectively. It just has always bothered me that the 2 versions of this model have been chalked up to being "mystery" or "fantasy" cats all this time.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?   Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 9:56 am

Paige, first of all I want to tell you that it is legite to use the figure as a jungle cat, actually the figure looks more like a jungle cat than a snow leopard for sure.
Though, let me tell my point about this long discussed figure.
What is it for Chap Mei? A lynx, I read a lot about the brand and their sets, several forum entries about the company and this figure was released originally as a lynx.
My opinion is that this figure was modeled after a caracal. Caracals have been known for a long time as Desert lynxes, the African lynx. We know it is not a lynx popularly it is known as one.
Hissing is also a common way of communication for caracals as you can see here. ... aren't they cute? Wink
Caracal tails are much shorter than the one we see on Chap Mei model but they're more than twice the length of a lynx' tail. That tail is wrong regardless of the species.
Chap Mei often paints their figures in different versions to avoid using individual molds to each species. That's a known way to save money. This figure was very popular as part of a Ice Quest set where they used spots to use the mold as a lynx or rings to use it as a snow leopard.
The use of spots turns it similar to a serval but the face and ears are not as similar as they are when compared to a caracal.
I don't know a version painted like a desert lynx but I'm truly convinced it was modeled after one, just cut half of the tail and remove the dark markings and it will look like a perfect caracal. Check how similar is its head, face, expression  to a real caracal.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?   Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 10:25 am

Swamp cats are rather lightly stripped than spotted.. I think this one is a not yet discovered forest caracal! Laughing

Last edited by Caracal on Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?   Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 11:23 am

I see what you guys mean, it does strongly represent a caracal in everything but tail length and spots. My comparison, is that a jungle cat does actually have a fur pattern (similar to domestic striped tabbys). I suppose with either the caracal or a jungle cat, they both have features that align with this odd figure. I would like to find these sometime, but now I will need 4! 2 original "lynx" and "snow leopard", and then 2 to customize into a desert lynx and a jungle lynx. Laughing

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?   Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 6:28 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I see what you guys mean, it does strongly represent a caracal in everything but tail length and spots. My comparison, is that a jungle cat does actually have a fur pattern (similar to domestic striped tabbys). I suppose with either the caracal or a jungle cat, they both have features that align with this odd figure. I would like to find these sometime, but now I will need 4! 2 original "lynx" and "snow leopard", and then 2 to customize into a desert lynx and a jungle lynx. Laughing

If Schleich had not released its caracal, I would have repaint my "snow version" as a Caracal and cut a little its too long tail.. :)

Last edited by Caracal on Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?   Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 12:16 am

I enjoy Daniel's considerations about this model being a forest caracal. Laughing
Caracals are not climbers, but they are very efficient at hunting birds. It is easy to imagine this cat evolving from a forest-dwelling ancestor with climbing abilities. Their spotted coats are well-suited for camouflage in forests, and their long tails are indispensable for climbing. Chap Mei model couldn't be a better representative.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to Daniel's dissertation. Laughing

So nice that the closest extant relative, the African golden cat is spotted as most of the other felines of the caracal lineage.

Paige, I would surely love to see it transformed into a jungle cat but a simpler customization to a "common" caracal would probably result in a better rendition than the one Schleich is offering.

This model is actually quite attractive as it is, it is a pity the cheaper ones on Ebay have absurdly expensive shipping and the ones I can find with cheaper postage are being offered between 10 and 15 Euros.
This is a perfect example of an innacurate but charismatic figure.

There are a few being sold on Ebay USA for very reasonable prices, luckily postage is affordable for you. They have the bobcat colors I like so much, Check this one for example.

PostSubject: Re: Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?   Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...? Empty

Back to top Go down

Species Discussion: Chap Mei Lynx...?
Page 1 of 1