Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: CollectA Deers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

Collection Review: CollectA Deers  Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptySun Oct 22, 2023 8:14 am

Figure Brand: CollectA

Figure Name(s): Red Deer Stag (88469)
Pére David’s Deer (88829)
Fallow Deer (88685)

Sex: All Males

Name: Red Deer Stag- Etienne- French, ‘Crowned’ version of Stephen
Pére David’s Deer - Istvan- Hungary- ‘Crowned’ form of Stephen
Fallow Deer - Elm

Year Made: Red Deer Stag - 2011
Pére David’s Deer- 2018
Fallow Deer - 2014

Observations/Thoughts:
These are probably my favourite haul of deer and cervine species, (at least with the Pére David’s Deer) I’ve collected in a while. Mainly because of their lovely, unusual antlers which because of them, I felt justified in adding to my collection! ^^
I also was running out of names that would pay homage to their antlers, hence calling them all several versions of the one name ‘Stephen’ which means ‘crowned.’

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Etienne, the Red Deer Stag is in a pose that matches the call deers make, I dunno what it’s called though, braying? Lowing? He’s got his head to the side, mouth open which is a nice and different pose to see. He’s also an even mid brown colour and has long antlers with several spikes from them which I assume shows he’s fully mature and a little aged? So a name that means crowned is fitting for him. The inside of his mouth is also sculpted to show teeth and a glimpse of a pinkish tongue which is cool too.

Istvan the Pére David’s Deer is my favourite of the trio. I know he adopts the standard standing pose with all four hooves on the ground but that pose doesn’t matter when he’s got such antlers. They are fabulous! I love the double branches on them, and then, not only is his tail not the standard deer tail, but it seems to be a long one with a little tuft of hair on it? Really unusual cervine species that one…
He's also a lighter sandy colour with whiter underparts, with a well sculpted neck mane and a dark brown tail tip and hooves- he’s very well done.

The last deer is Elm(I was really struggling with names when I christened him) He’s a CollectA Fallow Deer which is probably my least favourite of the trio. I think this is mainly because of the pose- I know it’s probably a realistic one, but I’m not sure of it.
He's got his legs spread, a front hoof forward in a probing pose and his neck and head lowered. What I do like about him is his nice, interesting markings, the dark brown body, the light belly and the lovely little cream beige spots peppering his flanks- that’s very pretty about him! His antlers are also the wide shovel shaped variety as opposed to being the long spike variety that most deers have.
I also notice, whatever CollectA make their models out of, it always feels scratchier and more rough to the touch than the smoother materials of Schleich and Papo.

Rating: Red Deer Stag – 5/5
Pére David’s Deer- 5/5
Fallow Deer – 3/5
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptySun Oct 22, 2023 10:43 am

That red deer sound is called roar, I guess. I like the CollectA red deer figure for a Iberian subspecies since its mane/neck is less developed than most of the other subspecies. Deer are not easy to manufacture because they offer several challenges to these companies due to their delicate legs and antlers. though, CollectA is doing a great job and we can include here the white-tailed deer too. Per David's deer is one of the most remarkable deer figures of ever, starting with the species choice which is very bold and the quality of the whole model.
IAbout the fallow deer I disagree with you, I find it an extraordinary model and its pose give a special touch and life to this model. It is very well sculpted and painted and I confess I was not expecting such a good fallow deer when CollectA revealed it. Obviously it is my opinion but I think our community received it very well since it was awarded the 2014 woodland figure of the year on STS-Forum.

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptySun Oct 22, 2023 10:52 am

I see... and yes, I agree on the Pére David deer, not many of those about so I applaud them for their different model.
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptySun Oct 22, 2023 6:47 pm

They are great, but we need more, and also females and calves. I want european roe deer, axis deer, siberian musk deer and chinese water deer.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptyMon Oct 23, 2023 3:11 am

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptyMon Oct 23, 2023 3:29 am

Tupolew Tu-154, Yeah I definitely agree, I want more unusual deer species too
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptyMon Oct 23, 2023 3:29 am

Thanks Widukind!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptyMon Oct 23, 2023 8:59 am

Three must have! cheers cheers 

I don't have the stag because I already have the roarind Schleich one who is good enough. The fallow dear is the one I prefer. He looks unquiet, ready to jump!
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  EmptyMon Oct 23, 2023 9:38 am

Yes, he is getting a lot of admiration even if he IS a bit splayed and leggy for my tastes, I still like him in my collection!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: CollectA Deers    Collection Review: CollectA Deers  Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: CollectA Deers
Page 1 of 1