Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

papo - Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus  Empty
PostSubject: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus    papo - Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus  EmptyWed Nov 08, 2023 10:27 pm

Figure Brand: Schleich & Papo

Figure Name(s): Sunrise Pegasus (70720)
Sunrise Pegasus Foal (70721)
Papo Pegasus (39162)

Sex: Sunrise Pegasus – Female
Sunrise Pegasus Foal – Female
Papo Pegasus – Male

Name: Sunrise Pegasus – Cliodhná – (Irish- ‘shapely/alluring’ pronounced- ‘Cleo-naah’)
Sunrise Pegasus Foal – Dawndrop
Papo Pegasus – Stratus

Year Made: Sunrise Pegasus – ???
Sunrise Pegasus Foal – 2022
Papo Pegasus – 2019

Observations/Thoughts:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Cliodhná is my Sunrise Pegasus, and though she is a general enough type of Pegasus moulding from Schleich, what I do like a lot about her is her colouring and perhaps the whole theme of dawn? Nice and slightly unusual way to design their mythical horse ranges. I love her slightly translucent wings which gives the idea that the pink dawn light is maybe shining through them? Her main colour is of course which, but each hoof turns from white to a soft gradient metallic silver, her nose too turns from pink to white. Both her mane and tail are coloured a very light straw yellow and lie flat with no sculpting to show they’re wind-whipped, though it has got added glitter added to its layers. She’s in a neutral walking pose with all four feet on the ground, one foreleg bent forward and her wings up. The wings are slightly translucent and do not bend, remaining upwards. I called her ‘Cliodhná’ which in Irish means ‘shapely/alluring’ which I feel works well on her. She’s supposed to represent the light softness of dawn and I think she does that very well.

Dawndrop is her foal and though she’s also a typical foal, albeit with wings she is so cute! She also happens to look far more full of fun and mischief than her mother which makes sense considering she’s a little one. In contrast to her mother, she has the same colour scheme but differing colour placement. Her mane and tail are short and pink, and her hooves reach a creamy golden yellow gradient instead. Like her mother, her mane and tail are mixed with glitter. Her wings equally do not bend, are stationary and risen from her back and unlike her mother do not have the dawn grey in them but pink and cream. Her pose is a small bit more dynamic than her mother, head slightly raised upwards, and one foreleg slightly raised. She also seems to have such a friendly expression on her sweet little face which I love.

The third magical horse I have added in with the trio is one from Papo. It’s the Papo Pegasus who I named Stratus as I feel it’s very in keeping with the magical horse’s theme, though as far as they go I find Schleich much better. Papo’s Pegasus here resembles their unicorns which were sculpted in keeping with the cool long tailed archaic version of a unicorn instead. Stratus resembles this, though he’s got a long horsey tail and mane in powder blue and flowing hair at his fetlocks. He has a sprinkling of gold stars on his rump and overall white in colour though he has got a pinkish flush to his nose. What I have found with these Papo figures and Stratus included is that the face isn’t as well sculpted as that of the Schleich figurines. It is a horsey face but not as well moulded or shaped as Schleichs, gives him a clunky, vintage toy look which I like? It’s particularly evident with his eye and cheek. His wings are also quite small in relation to his body size, yet they are beautifully sculpted with each feather being so detailed and perfect, it doesn’t matter to me that they aren’t in relation to his overall body size. After all, he IS a Pegasus so it might be magic alone enabling him to fly. Those lovely angelic wings remind me of renaissance cherub as they too had tiny little swan wings on their backs.

Rating: Sunrise Pegasus – 4/5
Sunrise Pegasus Foal – 4/5
Papo Pegasus – 5/5
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus    papo - Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus  EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 8:01 am

Some Pegasi!
Though I have to admit that I am not a fan of any of these three.
My favourite is the adult Sunrise Pegasus (she also came out in 2022, just as her filly) though I still prefer her in her original moon/silver colouration. Her mould is still alright but I like Schleich's first Pegasi more. They just resemble more my imagination of Pegasi.

I don't like the foal's mould at all. Her face looks rather odd to me, I just don't like her smile. The face is normally the part of the models that I pay the most attention to and if doesn't look right to me, I mostly won't buy such a figure. Her colouring is also not my cup of tea.

Stratus is also not really my cup of tea. I greatly prefer Papo's older (?) Pegasus mould. The black one is on my wishlist I just love this figure and from what I know it is made on the same mould as Papo's older Andalusian stallion, which is why the model looks more horse-like.
I probably just don't like vintage figures as much and therefore I won't get Stratus for my collection.
Back to top Go down
Brandubh94

Brandubh94

Country/State : Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus    papo - Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus  EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 8:08 am

Ok, nice to see what other collectors think of them and I definitely see where you're coming from, and that being said I'll have to look up the older Pegasus from Papo now for a side by side comparison
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus    papo - Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus  Empty

Back to top Go down

Collection Review: Schleich and Papo Pegasus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions-
Jump to: