Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Papo cattle breeds comparison

Go down 
+4
Bloodrayne
bmathison1972
Saarlooswolfhound
Taos
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Papo cattle breeds comparison Empty
PostSubject: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 9:00 pm

Papa have released a large number of cattle breeds and many are not made by other companies.Unlike other companies Papo has yet to release an Aberdeen Angus,Hereford or Jersey like many others have.Here is a line up of the breeds I have.I also have the black Spanish bull but have put the black and white bull in instead.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 10:21 pm

Really lovely line up! I am gonna show a comparison of some spanish bulls sometime soon. Great Papo collections!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 10:24 pm

Papo has been hitting it out of the park lately with cattle!
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 10:46 pm

This is where Papo shines IMO. Most toy figure companies just make standing cattle that stares at you. Papo steps out of that comfort zone and makes for us:
The mooing cow.
The grazing cow.
And the lying cow.
The mooing cow being my favourite. Very Happy

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyWed Dec 27, 2023 12:05 am

There's another point where Papo cattle is easily distinguishable from other brands. Papo is very Franco-centric and half the breeds are French. I like it because it contrasts with the other brands which are much Anglo-centric.

France:
Blonde d'Aquitaine  
Camargue cattle
Charolais Cattle
Limousin Cattle
Montbéliarde Cattle
Salers Cattle

Other countries:
Allgäu Cattle - Germany
(eventually) Frisian Cattle - The Netherlands
Highland Cattle - Scotland
Simmental Cattle - Switzerland
Spanish Fighting Bull - Spain and Portugal
Texas Longhorn Cattle - USA

Last edited by Roger on Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyWed Dec 27, 2023 10:04 am

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyWed Dec 27, 2023 11:05 am

Roger wrote:
There's another point where Papo cattle is easily distinguishable from other brands. Papo is very Franco-centric and half the breeds are French. I like it because it contrasts with the other brands which are much Anglo-centric.

France:
Blonde d'Aquitaine  
Camargue cattle
Charolais Cattle
Limousin Cattle
Montbéliarde Cattle
Salers Cattle

Other countries:
Allgäu Cattle - Germany
Limousin Cattle - Switzerland

Exactly Sir and I hope Papo will continue this very good habit cheers By the way I'm not sure Limousin cattle are from Switzerland Palmface Laughing

There is enough Aberdeen, Hereford, Angus... on the market

I would love to see a Bleu du Nord, a Vosgienne, a Gasconne, a Béarnaise, a Bazadaise, a Saïnata (tiger cow)... drunken

I still resist collecting cow breeds but I don't know how long I'll last What a Face
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyWed Dec 27, 2023 11:18 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

France:
Blonde d'Aquitaine  
Camargue cattle
Charolais Cattle
Limousin Cattle
Montbéliarde Cattle
Salers Cattle

Other countries:
Allgäu Cattle - Germany
Limousin Cattle - Switzerland

Exactly Sir and I hope Papo will continue this very good habit cheers  By the way I'm not sure Limousin cattle are from Switzerland Palmface  Laughing

There is enough Aberdeen, Hereford, Angus... on the market

I would love to see a Bleu du Nord, a Vosgienne, a Gasconne, a Béarnaise, a Bazadaise, a Saïnata (tiger cow)... drunken

I still resist collecting cow breeds but I don't know how long I'll last What a Face

It is a mistake, I listed Limousin in both lists, of course it is a French breed, the Swiss one was supposed to be Simmental Cattle. pale I will fix my initial post.
Christophe, just my opinion, you could start your little cattle collection with the best representatives of each French breed. It is a pity Portuguese breeds have no toys and the only Portuguese breed is not exactly a breed and anglophones know it as a Spanish or Andalusian bull. Laughing For us, Iberians, it is a touro bravo, toro de lidia without any geographic reference. By the way, they're also breed in France so...

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyWed Dec 27, 2023 1:32 pm

Yes I know Rogério, I could start a little cattle collection, I always start little collections... Palmface  I'm very good at little collections  Laughing

Seriously, I'm thinking about that and not only about French breeds but that means spending more money, cluttering up my displays even more when there are so many figurines of wild or extinct animals making eyes at me...    scratch  What a Face  Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyWed Dec 27, 2023 9:27 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Yes I know Rogério, I could start a little cattle collection, I always start little collections... Palmface  I'm very good at little collections  Laughing

Seriously, I'm thinking about that and not only about French breeds but that means spending more money, cluttering up my displays even more when there are so many figurines of wild or extinct animals making eyes at me...    scratch  What a Face  Wink

I understand you very well. Laughing
I also have my little farm project completely frozen, I convinced myself that I can't expand my collection of prehistoric figures and my sharks project looks something very distant now. Meanwhile I started with dogs and I have so many wildlife to buy. affraid That's collector life. Wink

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyThu Dec 28, 2023 3:39 pm

Thank you all folks.Papo does cattle so well!!!!I know Papo made some Friesians but I didn't collect them as I have quite a lot of this breed already.
I hope that Papo will continue with creating cattle breeds.I agree with the breeds that Christophe has suggested along with a Normande and Maine Anjou.Other cattle breeds that are not French that I would like to see are Shorthorn,Chianina,Norwegian Red,Mirandesa,Retinta,Santa Gertrudis,Murray Grey,Ayrshire,and Pinzgauer.
I would like to see Papo produce a Water buffalo-either domestic or wild.I know Collect A did an excellent model but sure Papo could make an equally good one. Smile

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyThu Dec 28, 2023 9:32 pm

I would love a Mirandesa but my favorite one in Portugal is Barrosã.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyThu Dec 28, 2023 11:52 pm

Beautiful Papo cattles breeds collection! cheers cheers

I don't collect domestic animals but I have Salers, Aubrac and Camargue ones because they all live in my countryside.. and I have the zebu too because of its beautifulness..  :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 11:52 am

Caracal wrote:

I don't collect domestic animals but I have Salers, Aubrac and Camargue ones because they all live in my countryside.. and I have the zebu too because of its beautifulness..  :)

Which Aubrac cattle do you have. Is it a custom? I don't remember seeing it.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 12:28 pm

Roger wrote:
Caracal wrote:

It is the last on top right on the last Taylor's picture (with a bell).  She has been retired from the catalog in 2020 I don't understand why because it is a well known breed here but I suppose not as well in Paris. On the catalog, it was called "vache allgaü" which is a stupid non-sens name which could make think it is a german breed! In fact "l'Aligot" is the name of a tradionnal culinary specialty made with mash potatoes and cheese from aubrac cows milk! It is served everywhere in Aveyron department and other ones now..

The true appellation of this cattle breed is "Aubrac" like the Aubrac highlands he is originated from. When I was a child, some farmers still used aubrac oxes in my small village as my grand father who had 4!.. before they are replaced by tractors.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 1:35 pm

Caracal wrote:
Roger wrote:
Caracal wrote:

It is the last on top right on the last Taylor's picture (with a bell).  She has been retired from the catalog in 2020 I don't understand why because it is a well known breed here but I suppose not as well in Paris. On the catalog, it was called "vache allgaü" which is a stupid non-sens name which could make think it is a german breed! In fact "l'Aligot" is the name of a tradionnal culinary specialty made with mash potatoes and cheese from aubrac cows milk! It is served everywhere in Aveyron department and other ones now..

The true appellation of this cattle breed is "Aubrac" like the Aubrac highlands he is originated from. When I was a child, some farmers still used aubrac oxes in my small village as my grand father who had 4!.. before they are replaced by tractors.

Oh, that's truly interesting! It explains why I was not aware of a figure of that breed. I'm honestly convinced that even a few of the non breed Papo cows are made after French breeds, except the Holsteins, of course but that's almost an international breed and the symbol of a cow.
It really looks like an Audrac, should I move it to that breed page and point that it was marketed wrong? For me it is simple, you put a cow with a bell and I immediately get convinced it is an Algäu. Laughing

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 1:53 pm

Roger wrote:
Caracal wrote:
Roger wrote:
Caracal wrote:

Oh, that's truly interesting! It explains why I was not aware of a figure of that breed. I'm honestly convinced that even a few of the non breed Papo cows are made after French breeds, except the Holsteins, of course but that's almost an international breed and the symbol of a cow.
It really looks like an Audrac, should I move it to that breed page and point that it was marketed wrong? For me it is simple, you put a cow with a bell and I immediately get convinced it is an Algäu. Laughing

Yes you should, for its name is "Aubrac cattle", there is no other appellation! :)

We ll I checked: the Allgaü cattle breed exists, it's a german breed and it is a blond catlle too! But a little different fom Aubrac cattle: no white line around the eyes, More dark robe. I wonder why Papo would have choosen this very few known breed.. I think there was an appellation confusion! Allgaû looks like Aligot! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptySat Dec 30, 2023 11:43 am

I opened a page for the Audrac breed
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Those are the uneasy decision while building a collectors guide as it is our Wiki. Contrarily to what I use to do, this figure is now being linked from both breed pages: Allgaü and Audrac. Thus, a collector trying to find it through the name it was marketed will also be able of locating it easily. Now it is identified as Audrac but with the mention it was marketed as Allgäu. Thanks Alain for your useful feedback on it. Very Happy

Last edited by Roger on Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptySat Dec 30, 2023 11:51 am

Caracal wrote:
Roger wrote:
Caracal wrote:

The vache Allgäu isn't a non-sense and this breed has no milkno link with Aligot. The Allgäu brown cattle is a German species of the Allgäu Region near Austria border.

Even in Paris and in Northern France we know what is an aligot Wink I don’t think someone would call an Aubrac cow Aligot except if it is the cow’s nickname 😊
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison EmptySat Dec 30, 2023 2:40 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Caracal wrote:
Roger wrote:
Caracal wrote:

The vache Allgäu isn't a non-sense and this breed has no milkno link with Aligot. The Allgäu brown cattle is a German species of the Allgäu Region near Austria border.

Even in Paris and in Northern France we know what is an aligot Wink I don’t think someone would call an Aubrac cow Aligot except if it is the cow’s nickname 😊

OK but curious choice by Papo who edited mainly french cattle breeds or very well known foreign breeds. This allgaü breed is a recent race created by interbreed with "brune de Suisse" (I know well because my father had one with his  Holstein ones and as evident on this picture!) and I had never red anything about it before yesterday..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Papo cattle breeds comparison   Papo cattle breeds comparison Empty

Back to top Go down

Papo cattle breeds comparison
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions :: Comparison topics-
Jump to: