Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Long time storing old schleich

Go down 
+5
Kikimalou
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
Ponies and Paint
TreAn
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TreAn

TreAn

Country/State : Czech Republic

Long time storing old schleich  Empty
PostSubject: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 4:38 am

Hello is okay wrap old schleich figures in paper tissues and put them in zip bag?
Back to top Go down
Ponies and Paint

Ponies and Paint

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 4:49 am

I've done that to store custom models(CollectA), but it should be fine for Schleich. I would make sure that the tissue paper is thick enough to prevent hooves and ears from sticking out and rubbing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGmpQ1jSAGOKIAO2OggjmMA
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 5:32 am

I would agree with Ponies and Paint. They should be ok being stored that way.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 1:02 pm

Actually, some figures start to become sticky when stored in tightly sealed bags. I don't know what chemical process causes this, but the truth is that the figures appear as if they are sweating, and it's not easy to reverse this effect. However, I have noticed this in several AAA figures, some from Wild Republic, and only one from CollectA, which is a mystery to me. However, it has never happened with Schleich figures, even though I don't have very old models. This can be easily avoided by simply puncturing the bags with a hole punch; the hole is large enough to allow air to enter freely and small enough to prevent the figure from trying to escape. 😂
It only happens when they're stored for a long time, if you use a zippered bag to post a figure to someone, even if it takes a few weeks to arrive, it won't generate this effect. Also remember that most brands use closed bags to store their figures so it is something that isn't supposed to happen.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 5:56 pm

I agree with Rogério, it happened to me
Back to top Go down
TreAn

TreAn

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 7:33 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I agree with Rogério, it happened to me

schleich figures?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 8:02 pm

CollectA and Schleich
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 9:05 pm

I wrap it in toilet paper or kitchen paper and store them in shoe boxes.

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptyFri Feb 09, 2024 9:17 pm

I bought some Bandai figures that were stored in their original plastic packaging for many years, and the paint had become very sticky.

Ideally, you store the figures in acid-free wrapping paper. However, like Tupolew, many of my figures are stored in kitchen paper and I have so far not had any problems (knock wood).

a6point62

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 5:34 am

Roger wrote:
Actually, some figures start to become sticky when stored in tightly sealed bags. I don't know what chemical process causes this, but the truth is that the figures appear as if they are sweating, and it's not easy to reverse this effect. However, I have noticed this in several AAA figures, some from Wild Republic, and only one from CollectA, which is a mystery to me. However, it has never happened with Schleich figures, even though I don't have very old models. This can be easily avoided by simply puncturing the bags with a hole punch; the hole is large enough to allow air to enter freely and small enough to prevent the figure from trying to escape. 😂
It only happens when they're stored for a long time, if you use a zippered bag to post a figure to someone, even if it takes a few weeks to arrive, it won't generate this effect. Also remember that most brands use closed bags to store their figures so it is something that isn't supposed to happen.

Zip bags/and figure original bags consists of a material which causes them to give out a "sweating" chemical when they are heated or exposed to sunlight, this material makes almost all other PVC materials sweat and contaminate, so dont use zipbags over longer time and rewrap your figures (dont leave them in original bag), personal i use cotton bags for my higher end priced figures, and not one have ever gotten sticky. Also in zipbags the figure can let off its "gasses" which occumilate over time. (Hence the round holes in original bags), these gasses also helps the ziplock deteriate and contaminate the figures.

These are what i use:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

TreAn

TreAn

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 9:14 am

a6point62 wrote:
Roger wrote:

Zip bags/and figure original bags consists of a material which causes them to give out a "sweating" chemical when they are heated or exposed to sunlight, this material makes almost all other PVC materials sweat and contaminate, so dont use zipbags over longer time and rewrap your figures (dont leave them in original bag), personal i use cotton bags for my higher end priced figures, and not one have ever gotten sticky. Also in zipbags the figure can let off its "gasses" which occumilate over time. (Hence the round holes in original bags), these gasses also helps the ziplock deteriate and contaminate the figures.

These are what i use:

I heard best zip bags for long time storing are polypropylene bags, which are designed specifically for collectibles. Evern museums are using it.
Back to top Go down
a6point62

a6point62

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 2:32 pm

TreAn wrote:
a6point62 wrote:
Roger wrote:

These are what i use:

I heard best zip bags for long time storing are polypropylene bags, which are designed specifically for collectibles. Evern museums are using it.

Yes as a stoneage collector and museum worker, i can say we also use ziplocks in the darkstorage (dark and cold, not moist). The difference is we are talking about stone, clay, glass and metals here.. We dont dig up plastic, well we do but we dont put it in the museum :) also the bags we use are around 2.17 USD (google value converter) Each for a 10x15cm and much higher grade.

a6point62

a6point62

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 2:41 pm

More research:

Plasticizer is used when making them. This plasticizer is added to the PVC in order to make it softer PVC, the more used, the softer and more flexible it becomes, but items will also get sticky/greasy overtime if exposed to heat/sunlight because they are airtight sealed and releases dioxins. Dioxins makes everything sticky/greasy.

So back to it, the best choice is cotton bags which we both use in our collection (me & hubby) and at the museum sometimes because they are actually cheaper than the expensive plastic ziplocks, also the items will get lesser light while still keeping the dust away from the items.

Also dont use the colored bags (learned it the hard way) Razz

George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 4:15 pm

Dust wouldn't be able to get inside your individual figure wrappings anyway, and I'm assuming they won't be in a damp or dirty place to need keeping dry and clean, so I'm not sure why the determination to have these zip bags as well!
Breathable wrapping seems the best option - tissue or cotton followed by putting directly into whatever box or drawer you're planning to store them in. Personally I'd go with a cardboard box because I'm cheap and like recycling, but I know a lot of people prefer those stacky plastic boxes, and have used them for longer-term Schleich storage without any harm coming to the models.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long time storing old schleich    Long time storing old schleich  Empty

Back to top Go down

Long time storing old schleich
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Schleich-
Jump to: