Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's

Go down 
+2
Katy Leven
TheRedLupine
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheRedLupine

TheRedLupine

Country/State : UK

A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  Empty
PostSubject: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 12:56 pm

Hello fellow collectors!

For the past month or so I have been seriously considering starting a new "CollectA Horse" collection.
Originally I wasn't interested in CollectA, as I already had a large collection of Schleich and the scale of the models was slightly different,
which would have messed with the realistic display scene I had set up at the time.
However with the recent decline in Schleich's quality & realism of their models over the last few years,
the more I see of CollectA the more I am persuaded to start collecting them. (I don't think I'll fully stop collecting Schleich yet unless they somehow continue to get worse )

Before I started buying CollectA models I decided that I should do some research to try and figure out how easy or difficult it would be to start a collection from scratch
and for the most part it seems like it should be reasonably easy to get most models (I am a completionist so if I start a collection I need to know I can finish it).
As I was looking up the models I stumbled across one that seemed to be quite elusive, The 2006 Dartmoor Pony (88023).
"Identify your CollectA" had it listed but there was no image of it and there was no listing for it at all on the "Toy Animal Wiki" so I did some digging
and was able to finally find a pdf document for a 2007 "procon" catalogue online which had both the 2006 Thoroughbred Mare and Foal (88021 & 88022, both listed with images on Identify your CollectA)
and the only existing image I was able to find of the 88023 Dartmoor Pony.
(from what I can gather I think "procon" was the original name before they changed to CollectA but I'm not 100% sure on that. I just know they're the same company somehow)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Brilliant! I now knew what every model looked like and with the exception of these 3 models they seem like they should be relatively easy to get.
Then I realized that when I had been looking up the 88022 Thoroughbred Mare I had seen an eBay listing for a horse that looked similar but wasn't her
and so originally I had just ignored it but after seeing the image of the Dartmoor I went back to compare it and by some miracle there it was.

The model that had been the most difficult to find any info on or images of was randomly listed on eBay for just £8.75 (Total)
and so I decided "why not?" and bought him. At least that way if/when I do start fully collecting them I don't have to worry about finding this model again later down the line.

So here he is, my first CollectA model:
If anyone wants to add him to TAW then feel free to use my pics if they're useful.

I'm not sure when I'll next be adding to this Topic as I don't currently have the space to start my CollectA collection properly. I need to invest in a new display cabinet/shelf first.
but I'm very excited for when I can finally get into this brand cheers

Duplicates: 12
Customs:37

Models I don't own: (as of February 2024)

Total:10

My Collection Thread: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Katy Leven

Katy Leven

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 4:58 pm

That sounds exciting cheers

I can definitely recommend CollectA horses even though I have currently only two foals in my collection but I'm eager to get more.

This Dartmoor pony looks very interesting... Poor thing has seen better days. It's a model that I don't remember properly which is probably the case with most Procon models. It certainly has it's charm but the new one looks definitely better.

And yes, from what I know CollectA started as "Procon" and was later renamed to "CollectA". Luckily the quality also increased after that.

One of CollectA's (or Procon's) most rarest horses is probably the 2010 Andalusian stallion who was available only during that year. Though I'm sure that it's still way easier to find for a reasonable price than any retired and limited Schleich editions.

Excited to see more in the future cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm

The Dartmoor pony is on TAW, you can find it here.
It was part of the Woodland series and it explains why you didn't find it. The same way the Przewalski's Horse is listed under Wildlife.

That's an exciting project. It is very rare to see a true CollectA horses completist. I confess this topic makes me happy and sorry for my dissertation.

Procon is the parent company for CollectA. I'd say, Procon created the brand CollectA and it turned itself as a company.

CollectA was born during the golden era of Schleich horses. Despite their effort, it was not easy to fight against such a well stablished company as Schleich and first generation of CollectA horses were probably not competitive enough.

CollectA did not gave up and in 2010 they abandoned the idea of making horses somewhat similar to Schleich concept and started a completely new phylosophy. They started a partnership with a very reputated horse sculptor, Deborah McDermott and the new horses assumed a completely new concept breaking completely with the past models.
They turned larger, much more delicate and far more realistic. Though, the transition was not easy, the brand was still targeted to 3+ years as it is Schleich and producing these figures in accordance with child safety laws proved to be a tremendous challenge, forcing the brand to experiment with various production techniques, some yielding adverse results that contributed to the line not gaining the popularity in the market they desired.
Among these experiments, the need to use a more flexible material so that the more delicate legs of the horses wouldn't break proved to be problematic, as some figures ended up succumbing to their own weight, resulting in bent legs and balance difficulties. It's worth noting that there was also a push for much bolder poses than those of the initial generation figures.
If these difficulties weren't enough, the more flexible material also proved detrimental to the paint application, not only in terms of adherence but also because it caused stress to the paint causing it to peel off.
Again, CollectA did not give up.

With experience, they managed to find a denser and more resistant PVC formula that fulfilled its function more efficiently, avoiding these problems and making the figures not seem cheaply manufactured as before.
Moreover, the subsequent models released were no longer as delicate, featuring sturdier legs but without compromising the realism of the figure. I'm not sure if it was Deborah herself who realized that sculptures for plastic production would have to be sculpted differently from those made of resin, or if the molds are reworked in the factory.
The latter option is likely since this has been the case with the latest Schleich horses, which are commissioned to external sculptors and retooled in the factory.

In a very personal opinion, this slightly less delicate design caused the latest models to align more closely with the market occupied by traditional Schleich collectors. The figures have their distinctiveness marked but with more appealing designs and a very interesting quality. The diversity of breeds, poses, and figures repainted with superior quality have been making CollectA increasingly popular in this niche, to the extent of partnering with Breyer, perhaps the biggest name in the realm of horse figures.

TheRedLupine

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Roger wrote:
It was part of the Woodland series and it explains why you didn't find it.  The same way the Przewalski's Horse is listed under Wildlife.

Thank you for the info Roger!
I appreciate it as I don't know as much about CollectA as I do about Schleich.

Whilst the model in the link you provided on TAW is listed as 88023, it seems to have the image of the 2008 version (88241)

Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 8:28 pm

A great idea, to go for the most difficult figure first to avoid having to hunt it down later!

I've also been making a semi-complete CollectA collection over the last couple of years - originally I just picked whichever colour option I liked best for each breed, once I dropped that rule and started buying multiple colours, that soon evolved into 'may as well get them all then!' Laughing But I've decided to split old from new, and only aim to gather all the Debra McDemott models, as their sculpting style is much more my taste than the older moulds.
There's only two of those I haven't got, now (one still in production, one not), and it really is satisfying to cross them off the list. It can become something of a treasure hunt to find all the right ones in stock online or track them down on ebay, and also a lottery if you buy second hand batches with some unexpected surprises!
I think part of the reason they're so addictive is cos they're quite a small range, when compared to something like Schleich where there's a vast list of past editions, with breeds repeated over and over again with different years, and exclusives, and numerous special colours from playsets or magazines. To decide to get every single one from a starting point of zero, rather than collecting a few at a time as they're released, would be a huge endeavour, needing a lot of organising to know what you were searching for, and a lot of expense to find the rarities. CollectA are so simple in comparison, no specials or elusive editions or pricey rare colours, just all regular runs - the list reads like the breed index of a horse book, many only ever done in one colour, and it's really addictive to work your way through them.

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 9:38 pm

TheRedLupine wrote:
Roger wrote:
It was part of the Woodland series and it explains why you didn't find it.  The same way the Przewalski's Horse is listed under Wildlife.

Thank you for the info Roger!
I appreciate it as I don't know as much about CollectA as I do about Schleich.

Whilst the model in the link you provided on TAW is listed as 88023, it seems to have the image of the 2008 version (88241)

You're absolutely right. I think I built all those tables of CollectA models through catalogues and it helped me to have a good overview of their collection. Though, identifying individual models is not my cup of tea.
Susanne fortunately photographed it with the tag and I can confirm the product number and that it is really wrong,.
So, I will use your pictures. Very Happy

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 10:24 pm

Congratulations are starting your collection with such a lucky find! I look forward to seeing more of them.
Back to top Go down
Ponies and Paint

Ponies and Paint

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptyTue Feb 27, 2024 6:47 am

Congrats! CollectA is my favorite brand. They're realistic, but still affordable.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGmpQ1jSAGOKIAO2OggjmMA
TheRedLupine

TheRedLupine

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 12:54 pm

Today I received my second CollectA horse  cheers
Model Number: 88021
Name: Maisie
Breed: Thoroughbred
Coat: Bay
Released: 2006
Retired: 2008

Her legs are a little bent but she was very cheep and still stands perfectly fine so it's not really an issue.
I think she's very cute  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Model Number: 88023
Name: Scratch
Breed: Dartmoor
Coat: Bay
Released: 2006
Retired: 2008

(Just wanted to add a proper info description for the Dartmoor)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 10:48 pm

It is really an early model with a short life. As I already said, I really enjoy seeing these forgotten figures being admired as collectibles.

PostSubject: Re: A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's    A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's  Empty

Back to top Go down

A New Adventure: Red's CollectA Horse's
Page 1 of 1