Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are there any dog figures that look like this?

Go down 
+3
Taos
Saarlooswolfhound
Jill
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Are there any dog figures that look like this?  Empty
PostSubject: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 9:41 pm

We had to have our old dog put to sleep today. He was an estimated 16 years old and has been with us for a little over 10 years. He was my mom's best friend, one of the hardest animals for her to lose. The other was a cat we lost a couple years ago, and she has already claimed one of my cat figures because it looks a lot like him. I am hoping to be able to find her a figure that looks kind of like Barney. I am willing to paint one, so even if it's not the right color but a pretty good shape that would be fine. I know most figures are purebred and so a perfect match won't exist (he's a chow chow mix). This is the one I am getting for myself, but it really isn't quite like him--too much fluffy and a blocky face, plus it's really big! I was just planning on getting it anyway. I'm hoping for Schleich-ish sized for her.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 10:07 pm

Firstly, I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. He looks like he was a splendid dog.

The only one that comes to mind right now would be husky models. Schleich's older models have their tails up but they are older and harder to find, probably a bit expensive. Did he ever keep his tail down was it pretty much always raised up and curled over his back? Let me think on it...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 10:12 pm

It was always curled, even when it was dropped it was like a fish hook. Thank you, Paige, I appreciate it! I'll give ebay a little look and see if anything is available and affordable . . .
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 10:12 pm

So sorry to hear that you have lost your old friend.16 yrs is a wonderful age and I'm sure he had a superb life with you.It's not easy when we loose them.It took us nearly 2 years to get over the loss of our last dog.We have dogs in our lives for such short times but they bring us such joy and happiness.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 10:38 pm

So sorry to hear about Barney Jill! I can't imagine how hard it is for your mum right now, and for you.
He looks like such a beautiful gentle soul! His eyes are just soft and warm and so full of love! What a very handsome dog he is. At first I thought he was a Kelpie (Australian red kelpie), he seems to have that Kelpieness about him, though curling his tail up might be his 'thing'? I've never seen a Kelpie with a curly tail and I had a half kelpie cross:)
I'm writing a book on coping with pet loss at the moment. I hope to publish it soon!

The model you linked to, I think it is the hollow Action Man Sled Husky dog? It's a nice model.

I don't know enough about Schleich sized models to suggest anything for your mum.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 pm

Taos wrote:
So sorry to hear that you have lost your old friend.16 yrs is a wonderful age and I'm sure he had a superb life with you.It's not easy when we loose them.It took us nearly 2 years to get over the loss of our last dog.We have dogs in our lives for such short times but they bring us such joy and happiness.
Thank you, absolutely true! I don't think we'll be getting another dog any time soon.

sunny wrote:
So sorry to hear about Barney Jill! I can't imagine how hard it is for your mum right now, and for you.
He looks like such a beautiful gentle soul! His eyes are just soft and warm and so full of love! What a very handsome dog he is. At first I thought he was a Kelpie (Australian red kelpie), he seems to have that Kelpieness about him, though curling his tail up might be his 'thing'? I've never seen a Kelpie with a curly tail and I had a half kelpie cross:)
We actually did a DNA test on him, and while he doesn't have kelpie (we always thought so, too), he does have a few herding breeds (American miniature shepherd and sheltie), which accounts for the shape of his face. He is overwhelmingly working and guard breeds, though, and his body is very much a short hair chow. And so was his personality, haha. He did not behave like a herding dog but more like a guard dog.

Quote :
I'm writing a book on coping with pet loss at the moment. I hope to publish it soon!
Oh that's lovely, I hope you let us know when you do!

Quote :
The model you linked to, I think it is the hollow Action Man Sled Husky dog? It's a nice model.
Yes, I believe you're right. If it turns out to be a good match when it gets here, I might get my mom one, too.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 11:36 pm

First I'm sorry for your loss. However, I'm sure he had a beautiful long live with a perfect family. :)
I also think the head looks like a Kelpie or a Carolina dog but I asked a friend of mine to check in his collection and he shared this picture. The dog, in my opinion, looks a lot like yours but it is a Hong Kong figure and it is small like hong Kong figures use to be. I will let you know which other dog figures he suggests meanwhile.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyWed Feb 14, 2024 11:49 pm

Oh that one would be perfect. Does he have any idea how I could go about searching for one? Just typing in Hong Kong dog figure, which I have done many times, has never turned that one up. It is probably quite obscure and possibly not something I can easily find . . . Thank you for asking!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 12:47 am

Jill wrote:
Oh that one would be perfect. Does he have any idea how I could go about searching for one? Just typing in Hong Kong dog figure, which I have done many times, has never turned that one up. It is probably quite obscure and possibly not something I can easily find . . . Thank you for asking!

Those were found in flea markets, I guess. There's no magic way to search for them. It is more a question of luck since not even the breed is known.
This is smaller than you want.
There's a larger one, this unbranded below but I think the Hong Kong models look more like your dog.

I PMed you. :)

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 2:04 am

Not that great a match but this Toy Major figure is yours. I will have to look through my stuff and see if I have any other potentials. I am so sorry for your loss. Its losing a family member. I'm only just now getting to where reminders of Queenie don't put me in a tailspin.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 10:39 am

Kelly, I didn't know this Toy Major dog, could you please tell what is marked on it?

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 3:12 pm

Thank you both so much! Kelly, while that dog's tail is a little straight for a memorial, I have been looking for it just for itself for a long time and do still want him, thank you!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm so sorry for the loss of Queenie, Kelly, it's really the absolute worst and the only really bad part about having animals in your life. Thankfully yesterday we were able to share many good memories of Barney, and it was so clear that it was his time that there was some relief as well as sadness in saying goodbye. I love you
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 9:53 pm

This a model that I see quite frequently here.Its a made in china model.

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 3:04 am

That's not bad, Taylor!
I went through my dogs and this was my closest. You may have it.
Rogerio, the TM dog is marked 2008 the TM logo Made in China 1943-P1   1
I will get a picture for the Wiki tomorrow after work.

I wonder if maybe a German shepherd model with a resculpted tail (or other generic farm dog type) could work? I looked at my double Toy Major shepherd but it's really too long bodied.
Hmm, what about the ColloctA AuCaDo with a resculpted tail and a paintjob?
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 5:40 am

Oh I have an extra of chinamal too Kelly! I would be happy to send you one Jill if you would like a memorial piece also.

@Kelly and Roger. I have that dog in 2 colors, and on ebay it frequently comes up as a sled dog that was sold in a set. I have labelled it as an Akita given its body type.
Here they are in my new additions pic when I got them.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptySun Feb 18, 2024 12:01 am

Taos wrote:
This a model that I see quite frequently here.Its a made in china model.
Thanks, I will keep an eye out! It is a little bit of a wonky sculpt, but if I could find one, it would do in a pinch.

pipsxlch wrote:

I went through my dogs and this was my closest. You may have it.
I do not have it, and it is actually on my list for "dingo" figures I need, so even if it wouldn't work for a memorial, that is another I am looking for regardless, if you are interested in trading or selling that one.

Quote :
I wonder if maybe a German shepherd model with a resculpted tail (or other generic farm dog type) could work? I looked at my double Toy Major shepherd but it's really too long bodied.
Hmm, what about the ColloctA AuCaDo with a resculpted tail and a paintjob?
I would need a recommendation on what material to use to sculpt. I've only ever used Sculpey, which has to be baked, which I think would not work well in this case, haha.

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Oh I have an extra of chinamal too Kelly! I would be happy to send you one Jill if you would like a memorial piece also.
Thank you! I will be in touch if I end up needing it for either collection or this project.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 5:47 pm

I've used Apoxie Sculpt, an air dry 2 part medium, on my plastic figures. I've found it at JoAnns before. I believe Alain uses something called Milliput, but I don't know if it's easily available in the US.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyMon Feb 26, 2024 10:52 pm

Thank you! I have heard of both but haven't used either so I will look into it (if I get a dog that needs some work).
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 2:58 am

i was just on Etsy, and one of the ads was for 'custom wedding cake toppers of your pet'. Apparently that's a thing there, after I looked at that listing a slew of them popped up. It's all small custom made figures from photos you supply. The ones I saw were quite inexpensive.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 4:07 am

Can you send me a link Kelly? I might be interested in one for an passed four legged friend of my own.

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyFri Mar 01, 2024 1:40 am

Let me find it, not sure why they linked it when I was searching Hartland horses lol...

Let's see if this works
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptySat Mar 02, 2024 2:38 am

That's a very good idea, thanks Kelly! Those are indeed surprisingly well priced for handmade customs, I hope these artists are getting a good turn around for their work. EDIT: Oh when you click in, you see that the prices are much more predictable for the work, it just list the lowest price up front which is for accessories added to the sculpts I believe! That makes more sense!
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 pm

Hi Jill, sorry for being late to this question and I am sorry too, you lost your beloved dog!

Could this dog figure match your dog? He is a bit heavier built but otherwise he looks pretty close I think? It was a cheap Hong Kong figure in a "one Euro Shop" or KIK or similar cheap shops.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 1:52 am

Thank you, that is a pretty good one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there any dog figures that look like this?    Are there any dog figures that look like this?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Are there any dog figures that look like this?
Page 1 of 1