Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best wrapping material

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

Best wrapping material Empty
PostSubject: Best wrapping material   Best wrapping material EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:52 pm

Most of my models are stored in boxes, wrapped in paper. For many years, I wrapped them in kitchen paper (the kind that you buy in a roll for use in the kitchen). But it is bleached, and I got worried that in the long term, it might damage my models. About two years ago, I switched to acid-free paper, similar to the thin paper that flowers are wrapped in.

The good thing about the acid-free paper is that it is strong. I use three to four layers, and it rarely happens that horns or legs pierce through it. But there are also disadvantages. It is not so cushioned as kitchen paper, it is very smooth, which means that the models easily shift when I move boxes, and it isn’t porous, so it doesn’t let much or any air through. The latter concerns me in particular, because I know from experience that models in a sealed bag can get sticky.

So my question is: Does anyone have long-term experiences with wrapping in kitchen paper or acid-free paper? Has anyone noticed that the bleach (and acid) in kitchen rolls or other paper damages animal models? And has anyone noticed that models in non-porous paper get sticky? It would help me decide how to wrap my models in the future.

By the way, I don’t wrap Starlux and Clairet models; I know that they need to be aired.

Last edited by rogerpgvg on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Best wrapping material   Best wrapping material EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 3:31 am

Thanks Roger, for explaining how you have been storing your figures.
Actually, I have never had my whole collection on display. I've only ever had 10% out at a time, but that's only been the last few years. For over 20 years I've had my collection in complete darkness. And in Australia it was never on display. Always stored.
For a very long time it's been stored in trunks - the old carriage style with hessian coats and the wooden bands around them. I'd keep them in card boxes, and also some even in metal tins. And I'd wrap most figures in kitchen roll from 20yrs ago. And just normal tissue paper. They have travelled by sea from Australia to Scotland a couple times, and even in the crazy Australian humidity and very high temperatures, every figure has been 'perfect'.
I've never used acid free paper.
I will protect the spaces in between antlers and horns with thin strips of bunched up little balls of kitchen roll, and even cotton wool balls, and then wrapped the whole figure in a strip of kitchen towel.
The animals that didn't need this extra protection just got lined up side by side in their herds. And then I'd put a sheet of paper or card and layer the next lot on top until the box was filled.

I've never stored any figures in a sealed plastic bag. It's always been a cardboard box, usually those decorated types, or the blank ones that you can decorate yourself - either the type you buy in home deco stores like Ikea or B&M etc. Like shoe boxes anyway. And I've used fancy and beautiful card boxes from porcelain ornaments and Swarovski crystal items to store them too, and also ones from home appliances like kettles Very Happy
I have a few tiny figures in little plastic boxes - around cigarette box size or a bit larger that are over 20 years old. I put the rabbits and hens and piglets and lambs in them, on a base of tissue. And then they are put inside their herds in a large card box.
But I've not got any large figures stored in a plastic box per se.

I will take some pics sometime to show you.

I currently have my Starlux figures in kitchen towel in card boxes. They are all swaddled up in separate cocoons to keep them well protected.
I have had Starlux stored this way for around 15 odd years. I remember buying my first Starlux models around the turn of this century and being amused by their quaint and beautiful appearance and strange yet brittle looking bodys. So I wrapped them well. And they are all in perfect health, - when I rediscovered them last year in a box by surprise! Shocked

I'm an expert packer and spent the majority of my life moving, so protecting my collection was a priority, both in storage and travelling.

Incidentally, like you Roger, every model I have has had a good scrub and wash in a tub of soapy water and rinsed thoroughly and air dried.

My trunks have never been in a hot environment in Scotland, always stored in a cold/cool room.

I have a little bag full of these sticky models you mentioned. Most of them came as extras from purchases and not from my own collection. They've all been thru my rigorous decontamination process, but still had that tacky feel. I've always kept them separated from the herds.
I will take some pics to show you the variety and label their conditions. I find it curious too.
The thing the majority of them have in common is that they have a heavy type plastic/rubber feel to them that has become tacky and feels quite yucky Very Happy
And there are an assortment of brands.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Best wrapping material   Best wrapping material EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 7:06 pm

Thank you, it's very useful to know that you have stored your figures in kitchen paper for more than 20 years. That probably means that the bleach doesn't affect them. Mine have been stored in it for a maximum of 8 years, and the non-Britains models for less. I think I'll go back to kitchen paper for wrapping. An exception are animals like elephants, large sharks and whales, which are too large for kitchen paper. The acid-free paper is much larger, so it works well for them.

Your storage system sounds similar to mine. I have put all my wrapped figures in thin boxes so that there are only 2 or 3 layers. That way, it's easier to find them and there is less risk that their weight causes legs and horns to bend.

I stored my Starlux and Clairet in boxes for a short time but I started noticing an acid smell. I then took them out of the boxes and put them onto a shelf permanently. Some developed acid disease, but I think they already had it when I first got them and it wasn't caused by the boxes. I read that it is better to air them, but if you stored them in wrapping for so long, then it probably doesn't matter.

Some of the Colorata that I collected about 5 years ago have become very slightly sticky. Nothing major, but they were stored in the original plastic boxes and I kept them in their original (non-sealed) plastic bags. I have now thrown away the boxes and ensure that the lid isn't completely closed. Hopeful that helps.

PostSubject: Re: Best wrapping material   Best wrapping material Empty

Back to top Go down

Best wrapping material
Page 1 of 1