Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)

Go down 
+3
Caracal
Roger
rogerpgvg
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) Empty
PostSubject: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 5:53 pm

As a collector of 1/32 scale figures, I mainly collect small models, so tube-sized figures are often useful for me. When CollectA recently released a new Wild Animals box, I was therefore very keen to get it. Many brands still seem to think that it is acceptable for small figures to look cheap, perhaps because they think that they are of little interest to collectors. However, as Japanese companies have shown for years, small figures can also be made with high quality plastic and precise painting, and if done so, they can be highly collectable. CollectA seems to realise this, and while their mini models don’t yet reach the standards of Japanese brands or their standard-size range, they are generally of a higher quality than those of its main competitor, Safari Ltd.

The box includes 12 models that are based on sculpts used for CollectA’s standard animal range. As I already mentioned, overall, I am quite happy with the quality of the models. The painting is precise and attractive, and because the sculpts are derived from CollectA’s main range, they are usually pretty good too. Unfortunately, the plastic doesn’t have the same high-quality feel and look: It is a light, low-density material and several models are quite glossy, slightly translucent.

The glossy look of the plastic is most obvious in the camel:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It’s a shame, because otherwise this figure is good. The eyes are precisely painted, there is some shading on the nose and I like the way they have painted the hair. And the sculpt is good too.

CollectA seems to have used more than one kind of plastic, and while all models have low-density plastic, not all of them are so glossy. An example is the dama gazelle:

The matte plastic looks better to me, but it is very rubbery and when I first got the gazelle, it did not stand up. Cardboard between the legs for a couple of days remedied this though. The mini animals aren’t exact miniaturised copies of the standard-sized range. For example, in this case, the horns have become blunter and the tail relatively thicker. Still, a nice model for such a small size.

Another antelope, the giant eland, is my favourite from this box:

I like the way that CollectA has painted it using multiple colours and that the legs, horns and tail are not too exaggerated for such a small model. They shouldn't have painted the front-most stripe over the longer black hairs, but it doesn’t detract from the beauty of the model. The slight gloss of the bare plastic isn’t too disturbing and in contrast to the dama gazelle, the plastic is quite rigid.

The orangutan is a nice model, although my feeling is that the legs are a little short compared to the body:

But the back side is not so good:

Why do they have to put CE, CollectA, orangutan, © 2023 China all in large lettering on his back? It’s like a vandal putting graffiti on sculptures. I’d like to enjoy the orangutan’s back side too!

Some of the other figures also have graffiti in clearly visible places, though it is not quite as disturbing as on the orangutan. Here is the Malayan tapir with CE on its hip. The mark isn't as visible in the photo as in reality:

The texture of the tapir is a little strange. They should have smooth, short hair, but this figure looks like a woolly tapir. Not the best model in the box, I think.

The sloth is much better even though the graffiti is quite visible on its left leg too:

Beautiful sculpt and its face is painted well. I didn’t know that sloths looked like this on their back side:

Is that that the zip to open its body suit? Very Happy

There is a chimpanzee as well. Again, the face is very nicely painted.

The box contains two felids. An African leopard:

The way the holes in the spots are painted is a little messy. Not the painting quality a Japanese model would have, but it’s much better than other tube leopards, which usually have filled spots.

A king cheetah has filled spots, which are easier to paint:

The painting is precise and attractive, and again, the legs aren’t too thick, something tube figures often suffer from. The plastic is a little glossy as you can see.

The American bison has a variety of shades of brown and some grey on the shoulders, which makes it look better than the average tube figure, which would most likely be plain brown. The horns and tail are a bit thick, but not too disturbing for me.

The musk ox also has good shading:

The horns are a bit too blunt and this makes them look rather large too. When seen from the front, the musk ox’s head is quite thin:

And finally, an Asian elephant:

I don’t particularly like the standard-sized version of this figure because I think it is too fat. I find the obesity of the mini model less striking. Even the elephant has subtle shading, giving it a higher quality feel than the many tube-sized elephants it has to compete with.

Hopefully, CollectA will make more mini boxes and further improve their quality, especially the plastic. One problem CollectA has is that the mini models are derived from their main, standard-sized range, so many collectors are likely to favour the larger, more detailed models over the mini models. Another problem is that their mini models tend to be commonly made species, although less so in this latest box (dama gazelle, giant eland) than in earlier boxes. Perhaps CollectA needs to consider making less common species that aren’t represented in their main range. Presumably a bit more costly to develop, but they may sell better.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:21 pm

I have a very peculiar vision for what tube figures should be. I advocate for a concept much closer to what Play Visions does, especially with tubes of taxonomically related animals such as viverrids and mustelids. These figures would work much better as a complement to traditional figures. However, this is the selfish perspective of a collector focused on what they want for their own collection and not necessarily an idea that could bring market success to the brand. I can't imagine a child wanting a tube with civets and genets. Furthermore, this idea would be terrible for you because small mammals of this size are too large for the 1:32 scale. Therefore, I reluctantly accept that brands mix animals of very different sizes in a tube, subjecting them to similar dimensions. After all, this is also the traditional concept of Japanese brands, only the tube is replaced by capsules.
Although I acknowledge the quality of CollectA's tubes, I have never felt tempted to acquire one. Ultimately, these figures are just Minis because within their own limitations, they are nothing more than miniatures of the larger figures from the brand. The positive aspect of this is that they are based on very realistic figures and end up taking advantage of good designs.
I think I prefer the concept Safari Ltd is developing lately with geographical tubes with figures with their own design. The Sahara Desert Fennec fox is completely different from the standard fennec. The Mini of the standard one is the Good Luck Minis one.
It is very interesting to read about the different manufacturing solutions CollectA used for each figure. I would never expect to see the Dama Gazelle as a tube figure, it would easily be rejected for other brand. The standard model being much larger, is quite delicate and naturally they couldn't keep the proportions at this size. So, you should feel lucky that they made it despite the lower quality of material and design. It is also quite brave that they included the eland, it is one of their best antelope figures, fortunately elands are not as delicate as gazelles.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 11:33 pm

I would love to repaint the 2 cats and to get the orang, the bison and the musk ox. About the antelopes, the  legs are too thick to my taste (because of Starrlux comparison I suppose.. ) cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 9:21 am

Interesting figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 5:29 pm

Groups of taxonomically related species would be great. The Safari TOOBs sometimes have this and Colorata too. Viverrids and mustelids might not be a best-seller among children, but wild cats, bears, whales, sharks antelopes, etc probably would be. Several of these tubes/boxes already exist.

Actually, I am not too bothered what species they make, as long as the models are high quality. I have to admit that I am often a bit jealous because collectors of larger figures get wonderful models whereas I have to make do with cheap-looking figures. I am happy that CollectA is almost there: The painting and sculpts are mostly very good. It shouldn't be too costly to make figures in a higher quality plastic. If they do that, then they are very close to the Japanese figures in quality.

Roger wrote:
Furthermore, this idea would be terrible for you because small mammals of this size are too large for the 1:32 scale.

Shhh, keep quiet about this idea Wink. I think that's OK though, because then there will also be tubes where more species are 1:32 scale. However, rather than boxes with models that all have a similar size, I think it would be better for playability (and probably also for collectors) if they were made in relative size (or even to scale Very Happy). Like Colorata often does. I also got the recent CollectA Mini Sea Creatures 3 and the crab is as large as the whales. You need to have a lot of fantasy to play with them together!

Roger wrote:
Although I acknowledge the quality of CollectA's tubes, I have never felt tempted to acquire one. Ultimately, these figures are just Minis because within their own limitations, they are nothing more than miniatures of the larger figures from the brand.

Yes, I believe that's a bit of a problem for CollectA. They haven't made many tubes yet, so perhaps they will change this when they start making more.

Caracal wrote:
I would love to repaint the 2 cats and to get the orang, the bison and the musk ox. About the antelopes, the  legs are too thick to my taste (because of Starrlux comparison I suppose.. ) cheers cheers

The cats will be amazing when they are painted by the master of the spots! I hope you'll show them soon.

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 10:18 pm

I am curious Roger, which of these, if any, are in the 1:32 scale for you?
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 9:01 pm

The orangutan and cheetah are 1/32 scale. I had hoped the dama gazelle would be but it is too large. But I am very happy with the two I got.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 11:58 am

Interresting review Roger Very Happy even if I'm not a tube/toob collector.

The quality still doesn't match that of the Japanese Gashapon, but I recognise that CollectA has made an effort.
As I own models that interest me in the standard size, I prefer the Safari Ltd concept with original models and rarer species. Papo, like CollectA, are content to make minis with a plus for CollectA: the price!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 11:27 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Groups of taxonomically related species would be great. The Safari TOOBs sometimes have this and Colorata too. Viverrids and mustelids might not be a best-seller among children, but wild cats, bears, whales, sharks antelopes, etc probably would be. Several of these tubes/boxes already exist.

Actually, I am not too bothered what species they make, as long as the models are high quality. I have to admit that I am often a bit jealous because collectors of larger figures get wonderful models whereas I have to make do with cheap-looking figures. I am happy that CollectA is almost there: The painting and sculpts are mostly very good. It shouldn't be too costly to make figures in a higher quality plastic. If they do that, then they are very close to the Japanese figures in quality.

Roger wrote:
Furthermore, this idea would be terrible for you because small mammals of this size are too large for the 1:32 scale.

Shhh, keep quiet about this idea Wink. I think that's OK though, because then there will also be tubes where more species are 1:32 scale. However, rather than boxes with models that all have a similar size, I think it would be better for playability (and probably also for collectors) if they were made in relative size (or even to scale Very Happy). Like Colorata often does. I also got the recent CollectA Mini Sea Creatures 3 and the crab is as large as the whales. You need to have a lot of fantasy to play with them together!

Roger wrote:
Although I acknowledge the quality of CollectA's tubes, I have never felt tempted to acquire one. Ultimately, these figures are just Minis because within their own limitations, they are nothing more than miniatures of the larger figures from the brand.

Yes, I believe that's a bit of a problem for CollectA. They haven't made many tubes yet, so perhaps they will change this when they start making more.

lol! I have a different idea. At a certain stage, it will be hard for you to find more figures at 1:32 scale. You will tend to acquire all those vintage ones and not many new models are made at that scale. At that point, maybe you can start a 1:16 scale collection. Maybe not with herds of animals of all quality as you do with the 1:32 models, maybe just those you find realistic enough or a single representative each species. You can use easily all your calculations, since 1:16 is twice 1:32 and it will allow you to get many great quality figures since it is a scale where major brand and even some Japanese models will fit. Another advantage is that I could follow and copy your project in a very lazy way. Wink Laughing

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 6:37 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I prefer the Safari Ltd concept with original models and rarer species. Papo, like CollectA, are content to make minis with a plus for CollectA: the price!

I agree, the price of the CollectA boxes is very good, especially considering their quality. I know you don't collect models just for their scale, but the CollectA boxes would give you great additions to your scale shelves.

Roger wrote:
lol! I have a different idea. At a certain stage, it will be hard for you to find more figures at 1:32 scale. You will tend to acquire all those vintage ones and not many new models are made at that scale. At that point, maybe you can start a 1:16 scale collection. Maybe not with herds of animals of all quality as you do with the 1:32 models, maybe just those you find realistic enough or a single representative each species. You can use easily all your calculations, since 1:16 is twice 1:32 and it will allow you to get many great quality figures since it is a scale where major brand and even some Japanese models will fit. Another advantage is that I could follow and copy your project in a very lazy way. Wink Laughing

I had this idea before you had it, except for the bit about the lazy collector Wink. But it was just an idea. My collection is already so large and I am looking forward to collecting less. It would be great if I just had to collect only the new 1/32 scale models. And 1/16 scale models occupy so much space. 1/32 scale has its limitations but one advantage is that most figures are small.

Only if a company decided to make a high-quality wildlife series to scale, then I'd consider collecting it, regardless of what scale it is. Mainly to reward the company for making something to scale.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
I prefer the Safari Ltd concept with original models and rarer species. Papo, like CollectA, are content to make minis with a plus for CollectA: the price!

I agree, the price of the CollectA boxes is very good, especially considering their quality. I know you don't collect models just for their scale, but the CollectA boxes would give you great additions to your scale shelves.

Well, except maybe for the sloth and the Dama gazelle, I think I have better small sizes rendition of these species. 16€ for 2 minis is still a bit pricey when there are so much models I still have to collect first.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:20 am

what an interesting assortment of figures and plastic appearances in that tube Roger.

I like the shape of the leopard in particular and the sculpting on the cheetah is well done.

What is not 1/32nd scale on the leopard? ah I see it's too small, I checked the lego block.

The Dama gazelle is nice looking too. And I like the pose of the sloth and the back detailing.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Well, except maybe for the sloth and the Dama gazelle, I think I have better small sizes rendition of these species. 16€ for 2 minis is still a bit pricey when there are so much models I still have to collect first.

I understand, you can collect models that make a better contribution to your collection.

sunny wrote:
What is not 1/32nd scale on the leopard? ah I see it's too small, I checked the lego block

No, it's too large Wink, 4.9/157 cm head-body length and 2.5/80 cm shoulder height. Only slightly too large, so it may be acceptable for display with 1/32 scale figures.

I was going to say that the dama gazelle (3.3/106 cm) is also slightly too large, based on the information in Wikipedia. But I hadn't done my research properly. Their size varies depending on the subspecies. The largest subspecies, Nanger dama dama has a 100-118 cm shoulder height according to Scholte (2013).

So there are three 1/32 scale models!

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 2:09 am

thank you Roger.
I always find 1/32nd leopards seem so small - the Britains tiny crouching leopard always reminds me of. a lying down cheetah for some reason.
I suppose compared to a lion, I just always imagine them as being a large cat too, not as big, but still large.

The Dama gazelle has a very wide size range. I came upon some size indications from another website that had large variations.
It is a beautiful and striking gazelle. Sometimes called the Saharan gazelle.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:52 pm

The Britains leopard is the right size though. This is a useful picture:

Indian leopards are large (slightly larger than African leopards), but Persian leopards may be even larger:

The 165 cm leopard can be found in Spalton and Hikmani (2006).
(Note the information in the above picture isn't entirely correct because largest leopard in Spalton and Hikmani (2006) had a total length of 259 cm.)

So the CollectA may be okay for a very large 1:32 scale leopard.
If I keep searching for size information, perhaps all models in the CollectA tube will be 1:32 scale Wink.

Last edited by rogerpgvg on Wed May 01, 2024 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyWed May 01, 2024 2:27 am

thank you Roger, I did some research and can see the difference in size now.

I came across a story of a baby leopard being reared by an Asian lioness, and I can really see the size difference here. All the cubs are around the same young age.

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyWed May 01, 2024 7:29 pm

That's a very cute leopard cub. No wonder the lioness wanted to take care of it. Do you know whether the leopard cub survived?

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyThu May 02, 2024 2:42 am

the cub lived for 2 months -
'Over the course of a 45-day observation period, however, the researchers saw the leopard cub hanging out with its foster family on 29 different days.

The relationship only seems to have come to an end when the leopard baby died.
In February 2019, his body was found near a watering hole, with no signs of injury suggesting that he had been attacked. A necropsy, in fact, indicated that the cub had been suffering from a congenital femoral hernia, which means it was born with a bulging blood vessel in its groin that ruptured, likely causing his death.'

- poor little mite:(
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) EmptyThu May 02, 2024 8:39 pm

Sad to hear it didn't survive; at least the lioness tried to give it a chance.

PostSubject: Re: Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)   Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212) Empty

Back to top Go down

Review of CollectA Mini Wild Animals 2 (A1212)
Page 1 of 1