Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Toy animal Wiki  Animal Toy forum  
Share | 

Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hazelnut

Country/State: France

PostSubject: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 am

Hey everyone,

there are many different brands for animal figurines (Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Safari, AAA, Mojo...). I know Schleich pretty well and they give information about the company on their website, but I was curious about the country of origins of the other brands and the date of their creation.

If somebody could help me to find out these information it would be really nice!

Cheers,

Marina

Back to top Go down
Vivien

Country/State: Germany

PostSubject: Re: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 pm

A good question Marina,Bullyland is a german brand and was created in 1973.
Papo is a french brand and I think it was created in 1994 or 1995.
Safari is an american brand and it was created in 1980.
On Collecta and AAA I only know that they are chinese and japanese brands,sorry Embarassed
Mojo is a new Brand based in Hongkong created in late 2009.I hope that helps you!! Wink If not,feel free to ask again.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE

Country/State: Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm

This is a great question.
And a great overview from Vivien sunny

We actually touched upon it a long time ago, but did not get any further, I think we could not quite aggree how to do it.
Perhaps we were too ambitious and wanted a special editor for ecah brand, to whom people could mail their ideas scratch

This could be a good way to start in a more "eat-able" way.
-----

I would like to start with a quick introduction about Bullyland, and I can of course edit if I got anything wrong. Perhaps others will introduce other brands ? bounce bounce

In 1973 Volkmar Claus and his second wife started a compagny in Germany, making Smurfs and a few other comic-figures.
FC had been married to Mr. Schleich`s daughter, but they got divorced, and together with his new wife, Jane, FC had a kennel for French bulldogs, - In German a French Bulldog is called a Bully, therefore the name.

Untill 1979 they made Comic-models like Asterix, Walt Disney, Tin-tin etc. In 1979 they introduced a series of "Glow-in-the-dark" skeletons, and in 1980 they introduced the first animal figures and a farmer and his wife. Small, and somewhat stylised models.

Like Schleich they have deviated from the plastic material, making wooden toys and merchandise for Walt Disney, Batman etc...

Their latest image is to be "Made in Germany" and PVC-free materials.
------

.... I may add more later, - ideas and corrections are wellcome, for instance in a PM Very Happy
I will of course mention who made suggestions/corrections Wink
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Hazelnut

PostSubject: Re: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Thank you for your answers. It's less messy in my head now!

It looks like Schleich was the first company which created animal figurines. They seem to have more expertise than any other companies anyway.

I had not the slightest idea about the creation of Bullyland. I only guessed it was German.

However, about Papo, I was wondering whether it was French or Belgian.

Cheers,

Marina
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE

Country/State: Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Schleich started shortly after WorldWar 2, but before that A LOT of others made figures Very Happy

Just look here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And the first many years Schleich made bendies, not figures like we know them now drunken

I have a small collection of Bendies, in case you are interested : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Hazelnut

PostSubject: Re: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you Susanne for the information. It's really interesting!
Schleich has evolved so much along the years. There's a large gap between these bendies and the current animals.

I just had a look at Lineol animal pictures. These figurines are so old but so well-done for this time.

Marina
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State: Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Hazelnut wrote:

It looks like Schleich was the first company which created animal figurines. They seem to have more expertise than any other companies anyway.

However, about Papo, I was wondering whether it was French or Belgian.

Cheers,

Marina

PAPO is French Marina, just like us Laughing

And SCHLEICH wasn't the first company which created animal figurines. Actually it's a young company. A lot of companies produced animal figurines before SCHLEICH.

HAUSSER ELASTOLIN, LINEOL, MAROLIN, VEB PLAHO in Germany.

BRITAINS, TAYLOR&BARRETT, TIMPO, WENDAL, JOHILL&CO in UK.

REISLER in Denmark.

BETON, AUBURN, MARX, MILLER in USA

BLANCHERIE FRERES, CBG MIGNOT, QUIRALU, CLAIRET, JIM, ACEDO, STARLUX in France.

Ansd many many more..

SCHLEICH is a great manufacturer of course, but this company have no more expertise than the others. Indeed, they have now the smallest range of wild animals among the Majors and looking them as better is only a matter of taste. Wink

PostSubject: Other brands   Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Thank you everyone for these information.

I found other brands of animal figurines these last days and I know nothing about them.

Does someone know anything about Brunnen, PLayvision and K&M? I'm really curious about them.

Cheers,

Marina
Back to top Go down
Hazelnut

PostSubject: Playvision   Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Forget my question about Playvision. I just realised it's not a brand in itself but sells other brands which creates animal figurines.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State: Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins   Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:07 pm

Hazelnut wrote:
Forget my question about Playvision. I just realised it's not a brand in itself but sells other brands which creates animal figurines.

PLAYVISIONS is a brand in itself with really rarely seen models. This is a US company from Seattle who produced batches of animal sets in the 1990's. In the 2000's they stopped their animal models production.
Some of them are really rareand very sought after by collectors Suspect
Does anyone here could find me the lemur set ? Laughing Laughing

Hazelnut wrote:
Thank you everyone for these information.

I found other brands of animal figurines these last days and I know nothing about them.

Does someone know anything about Brunnen, PLayvision and K&M? I'm really curious about them.

Cheers,

Marina

You will find a lot of things about them [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Playvision   Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 pm

OK. I've found an American page online where they sell very rare animal figurines such as civets for example (I was googling for this creature particularly). They don't say which brands they sell so these civets could be from Playvision.

On this page, they also sell different species of lemurs. If you're interested I could send you the link and you should have a look as I don't know exactly which lemur set you're talking about.

Marina
Back to top Go down

Schleich, Papo, Bullyland, Mojo, AAA, Safari: origins

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1