Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?

Go down 
+13
smithyboy
WILLYBACOMAN
Steve170
PeGe
ken yeo
SUSANNE
Sergey
Roger
Kikimalou
lucky luke
HKHollinstone
Ana
Kiryuha
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Empty
PostSubject: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 8:14 pm

I’ve received my first Mojo animals recently (thank you, James!) and must say that in real life they look even better than on photos!
Holding the magnificent Mojo lion in my hands, I can’t help but continue the discussion upon Roger’s excellent comparison review of male lion replicas.
Until now there were no figures of male lions at the market that satisfied my taste. But Mojo lion is just what the doctor ordered! So I dare to say that it is the best male lion figurine available at the market today. Do you agree, friends?
And here are some pics.
I settled the new lion in my Africa cabinet display – look how he is studying the terrain:
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Mojo_lion1

The former “king” of this “jungle” is being expelled by the stately Mojo male:
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Mojo_vs_young_Schleich

And here he's wading a river and stepping on a bluff sand ridge:
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Mojo_Lion_wading

This figure reminds me of this guy:
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? _Lion-stalking-prey

In a reply to this post I’ll try to sum up the pros and contras of other lion figures based on my outlook and Roger’s review.

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Review of lion figures   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 8:26 pm

So, here’s a concise review of lion figures by major brands (using pics by Roger, Ken & Martin).

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Th_Schleich-2008-lion
Schleich 2008 lion
Pros:
+ Good body proportions
+ Good availability of Schleich in many countries :) Wink
Contras:
- Strange-looking blond mane
- Mediocre paintwork, especially at the muzzle
- Glossy finish

Papo 2004 roaring lion
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Th_Papo-2004-roaring-lion
Pros: none to my taste
Contras:
- Small head
- Strange-looking paws
- Mediocre paintwork
- Glossy finish
In general, this figure looks more like a toy from a gladiators playset than a wildlife item.

Papo 2006 lion
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Th__Papo-2006-lion
Pros:
+ Stately appearance
+ Very detailed, artistic mane
Contras:
- Oversized muzzle and paws
- Boring paintwork
- Glossy finish

Safari 2011 lion
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Th_Safari-2011-lion
I haven’t held this one in my hands so can judge only by photos. Looking forward to comments by those who have this lion in their collections.
Pros:
+ Stately posture
Contras:
- Short legs
- Boring paintwork

CollectA 2011 lion
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Th_CollectA-2011-lion
Pros:
+ Beastly look
+ It looks more like a wild animal than a fatted zoo lion
Cons:
- Awkward pose
- Unrealistic muzzle

Bullyland lion (63600)
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Th_Bullyland-lion-_63600_
Pros:
+ Aggressive pose
Cons:
- Mediocre paintwork
- Unrealistic muzzle

Mojo 2011 lion
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Th_Mojo_lion1
Pros:
+ Realistic muzzle: details, expression, that predator’s look…
+ Excellent paintwork
+ Matt finish
+ Optimally dynamic & elegant pose: not static and not too dynamic or saltatory
Cons:
- Skimpy chin (lower jaw)

What do you think about it? Do you agree or disagree with the above evaluations?

Last edited by Kiryuha on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Kirill, thank You for that comparison and for this interesting topic.
Male lion seems to be one of the hardest animals to make cat I have only new Schleich lion male so far. Lions from other brands look too strange for me, and I had no chances for getting Mojo for myself yet.
I must agree with all disadvantages which You described under photos of lions from different brands. From all lions I like Papo lionesses most Laughing Papo male has wrong proportions, so I wouldn't buy him (he looks like Mufasa Razz ), CollectA is strange, too big mane or something, Safari is very toyish and Bullyland has strange face Rolling Eyes Schleich was the best in my opinion, so far, but not perfect too. I love sculpting work in Schleich one- beautifully sculpted muscles and skin details. Paint job isn't great, but mine isn't glossy luckily Laughing But this baleyage (highlights) is terrible silent
So, Mojo would be best in that competition. But for me it has 1st place together with Schleich Shocked The thing which I would suggest for Mojo lion is sculpting work is a little bit too basic, muscles and other anatomical details could be more visible, and I wish some more details on face. But I agree:his pose, colors, paint job, proportions are best. So, because no one is 100% perfect I must say 2 lions have first place geek
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:21 pm

The only lions I've had are the Papo, I've never had the chance to compare other brands together - the Mojo lion does look very fine and seeing collector's photos and feedback on how great he is, makes me want to get him.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:23 pm

ana wrote:
So, Mojo would be best in that competition. But for me it has 1st place together with Schleich Shocked The thing which I would suggest for Mojo lion is sculpting work is a little bit too basic, muscles and other anatomical details could be more visible, and I wish some more details on face. But I agree:his pose, colors, paint job, proportions are best.
I agree with your description of the Mojo lion Anna Very Happy

Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Kirill, Thanks for this comparison,
And Congratulations on this wonderful addition to your collection come to mutual friends.
The Lion of Mojo is also one of my favorite with the Schleich is too light for my taste but a good presence too!
So I'm almost in the opinion of Anna!

cheers bounce sunny drunken
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Couche11

https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t934p105-some-pictures-of-my-collection-new-display#63688

lol!
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:35 pm

ana wrote:
I must agree with all disadvantages which You described under photos of lions from different brands. From all lions I like Papo lionesses most Laughing Papo male has wrong proportions, so I wouldn't buy him (he looks like Mufasa Razz ), CollectA is strange, too big mane or something, Safari is very toyish and Bullyland has strange face Rolling Eyes Schleich was the best in my opinion, so far, but not perfect too. I love sculpting work in Schleich one- beautifully sculpted muscles and skin details. Paint job isn't great, but mine isn't glossy luckily Laughing But this baleyage (highlights) is terrible silent
So, Mojo would be best in that competition. But for me it has 1st place together with Schleich Shocked ...
Well, for me #2 after Moyo is Schleich's young lion, but I didn't include it in the review as it is not a "fully-featured" male lion :) Wink As to the Schleich male - I always look at him when I come to toy shops, but haven't still bought... It's not up my street.
HKHollinstone wrote:
...the Mojo lion does look very fine and seeing collector's photos and feedback on how great he is, makes me want to get him.
Harriet, you won't regret it! believe me, Mojo lion looks even better in real life than on pics.

Cool picture, Jean-Luc! Real savannah in twilight.

HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Luc, that picture is amazing! So beautifully done, you make wonderful images cheers cheers
Kiryuha wrote:
Harriet, you won't regret it! believe me, Mojo lion looks even better in real life than on pics.
bounce cheers

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:46 pm

WOW, Jean Luc, This picture is BEAUTIFUL!!!Thank You so much for showing, it catch the spirit of African Savanna king BEAUTIFUL!!!

Kirill, it's funny to know that You haven't bought Schleich adult lion yet, I haven't bought young one yet Razz Razz Razz I find the pose of young one somewhat exaggerated. Well, I guess it's just a matter of taste, and it's good to see that diversity on our forum sunny
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Kiryl... Could you believe it ? affraid I agree with you Wink MOJO FUN lion is my favourite among modern lions.

Ana, you are right too of course but despite a bit lack of details, this lion is the most wild of all and have a strong "lion's soul".

Jean-luc, congratulation, your good pics fit perfectly with the MOJO FUN lion. Cool
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Kiril, thanks for your topic and also for the reference to my topic. :)
Of course with time our way to see the things changes slightly! At the starting I confess my excitment with the detail and expression of Papo lion but after some measurements and a careful reviewing, now I watch it as a completly wrong figure. Anyway I like it and want to keep it in my collection! cat About the male from Schleich I really don't agree with our talented sculptresses, maybe they are right because they are much more talented and more used reviewing figures. I have the figure and I don't see nothing interesting except the general proportions. I don't see a feline in that figure, if not in muscles, bones structure, face, etc. What I see is a pretty figure. The mane is almost a flower, I'm not talking about painting, you can see a clear rounded sculpting arround the face that makes a mane looks like those from toyish and cute figures! flower There's no straight lines in this kind of figures and that's maybe the weak point of Mojo figures, but, in the excelent real picture here posted we see that that figure really looks like a real lion in its more natural expression. Pleas try also to see it from above, very narrow, as many cats and compare it with the wide body of the Papo. My opinion about the recently retired Safari already changed towards a more negative, I confess I gave it to a children of my family and I'll make the same with the Schleich, unless someone from the forum needs it.
The CollectA new lion have some interesting points but some lack of realism and important flaws, anyway much better than the previous.
In a point I agree with all of you, the best is clearly the Papo lioness and other brands were not able of making also a nice lady, so maybe it is not an easy figure. But lions are really hard. Considering that lions are often replaced in ranges, I'm almost sure the next Mojo and Papo lions will be really great and I'm not really sure about next Schleich lion because of their temptation to give a cute factor to the figures.
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Kiryl... Could you believe it ? affraid I agree with you Wink
Oh, wow! How could it happen?!!! Very Happy Very Happy Unbelievable and pleasant surprise :)
ana wrote:
Kirill, it's funny to know that You haven't bought Schleich adult lion yet, I haven't bought young one yet Razz Razz Razz I find the pose of young one somewhat exaggerated...
Yeah, tastes surely differ! I like the young Schleich for two reasons: 1) I find his pose interesting and dynamic, a good posture for displays; 2) no other brand has made smth alike until Papo introduced their young lion this year. That's a bold decision, I think.
BTW, I should buy my second young lion as Schleich will retire it in 2012...
Roger wrote:
...About the male from Schleich... I don't see nothing interesting except the general proportions. I don't see a feline in that figure, if not in muscles, bones structure, face, etc. What I see is a pretty figure. The mane is almost a flower, I'm not talking about painting, you can see a clear rounded sculpting arround the face that makes a mane looks like those from toyish and cute figures! flower There's no straight lines in this kind of figures and that's maybe the weak point of Mojo figures, but, in the excelent real picture here posted we see that that figure really looks like a real lion in its more natural expression. Pleas try also to see it from above, very narrow, as many cats and compare it with the wide body of the Papo...
One couldn't describe the flaws of these lions better than you did, Roger! Totally agree with you.

Last edited by Kiryuha on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Kirill thank you, Harriet, Ana and Christopher for your compliments ... I go to the heart
The lion Mojo graciously walks in the bush and gives an atmosphere to this picture!
Anna made ​​careful save your eland, he is in danger .

cheers sunny I love you affraid Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:39 am

I forgot something here! scratch
Hurray for James!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:03 am

No... I,m disagree... Kirill my friend I love you but... truth is better. Laughing Wink Платон мне друг, но истина дороже! Platon is my friend but the truth is better! (the ancient greek saying). Wink The model is good. But the main problem this lion on the body-morphology is - his muzzle has,nt... a chin (lower jaw)! Yes,yes! This lion has very strange muzzle. But big lower jaw is the special characteristic of the big wild cats... The all lions models (all brands) has a chin, but Mojo "face" has,nt a chin (lower jaw) ... Look at the pictures...

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Origin10

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? 43447510

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Ddndd_12

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? 0061010

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Imag0629

...and look at Mojo model... The strange muzzle... not lion.... scratch scratch

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Mojo210

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Mojo710

...So on present Schleich lion is #1... Sorry... silent

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 8:43 am

I am so sorry, for once I am not so very positive Embarassed

I agree with Sergey, the Mojo-lion lacks a chin, and what are those rows of black dots doing in his face scratch

Kiryuha wrote:

And here he's wading a river and stepping on a bluff sand ridge:
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Mojo_Lion_wading

This figure reminds me of this guy:
Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? _Lion-stalking-prey

Also I never like those very clear painted shades, I have said it often before, the schulping should make the shape, paintwork is only to underline descretely Wink

I neither like or dislike the CollectA-lion. He is a fat, lazy lion with a funny face and the mane looks a bit strange. This is ok, but not fair to let him be the only one with no minusses Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

Big paws or not, and even if his front leg is glued on, I think the old Papo-lion is my choice for the best lion Very Happy cat

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Papolionfirst
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:37 am

SUSANNE wrote:

...I think the old Papo-lion is my choice for the best lion Very Happy cat

...Yeah Sue! I like this expressive model too. I think it,s the MOST expressive and dinamyc lion model among the all models. I,ve bough two at once with a different colour variations... :)

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Imag0630

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Imag0631

But I,ll buy of course the Mojo lion for my Great Pride because he has the exclusive pose - he is "steal up to..." Laughing

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Img_0310

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Moya_f10

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I also never thought that Mojo lion will be the best and Sergey actually pointed out that lack of chin on Mojo lion. I still prefer the Schleich lion over the others.

And Anna also bring out this point " lion is not easy to sculpt". And worse is Bullyland not even close to any of this. I think the best lion is still Safari wildlife wonder. Of course is not fall under similar sizes.

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 6:46 pm

:) :) It's strange to hear "sorry" from you, friends - we have a discussion here, moreover - a discussion based on personal tastes, so no concord could ever be achieved here Wink
You're right, lack of chin is a disadvantage of this lion (I added it to the review). Nevertheless, I like Mojo figure more than the others, who have more contras to my taste. And I'm glad to know that you have other favorites!

By the way, maybe he has somehow screwed his lower jaw up?

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh,an interesting discussion here :) Sergey You are right about the face of Mojo lion, something is not exactly right. Chin is too small and maybe this feeling is also because upper muzzle looks too long, somewhat like in some dog breeds (mastiff?) scratch Lion's upper muzzle looks normally more rounded and shorter. But even with that I like Mojo lion very much! Hunting pose is really wild! And I think I will add him to my collection.

Susanne, Sergey thank You for many interesting photos Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 am

ana wrote:
Lion's upper muzzle looks normally more rounded and shorter. But even with that I like Mojo lion very much! Hunting pose is really wild! And I think I will add him to my collection.
Same here. Of course, nothing's perfect in the figurines world, and Mojo lion is not perfect as well. But it is the only lion that I want to have in my collection (not counting the young one from Schleich)!

PeGe

PeGe

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 6:50 pm

yes, the chin,..but to me, there's something else what destroys the whole impressive character:
the whispers. In reality, those would be the size of a euro coin?
When i look at the figurine, i miss a belly fold and axis-deer somewhere right there where he gazes at,....
Back to top Go down
Steve170

Steve170

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 pm

I'd say the Mojo Lion is the best out there cheers . I can easily put up with the dot whiskers and jaw because I think the figure just stands a league above the others, much more life like.
Back to top Go down
https://toyanimalmuseum.blogspot.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 2:49 am

I agree with some comments here but I get always scared when people talk about Schleich lion. Mainly people that I know that understands a lot of animals! Anyway I accept all opinions and mine is like the others. Only one more! cat
Schleich Schleich lion is morphologically wrong, the rear has a wrong shape. It shouldn't be rounded but slightly angled and droping back.
The left back leg is much bigger than the right back leg, that's an important flaw. As I told the mane is completly irrealistic. The head is turned and there's no expression in the body showing it. The skin that joins the back legs to the ventral part of the body is almost not visible and very deep, that's very usual in many animals. The paws are almost sculpless in the bottom. No pads technically!
Face looks slightly antropomorphic with very rounded eyes orbitals when we see very straight lines in this area of a face of a lion. General proportions look not correct. Back legs are too spread, if it is a bad thing in Papo figures it would also be considered in Schleich.
Colouring is completly wrong in all the figure but it everybody already noticed.
It also have some nice points, of course. It is an pleasant figure, a friendly looking for kids and a pose that works very nice in catalogues!
The playbility is poor, mainly in a hunter but it is not a problem for me, only too static for dioramas!
Other lions also have some flaws but for me the Schleich is not one of the best surely! :)
I also don't like the young Schleich or roaring Papo, but those are personal opinions! Mojo and Papo King of the jungle are the most apreciated but we need even better lions. Don't worry, all brands remake them very often! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 3:03 am

I understand that some people will defend their own best choice, or just because they feel they have to defend the brand they are presenting here on the forum, but i think you must choose independent about cases like this, and that is not easy in some cases, i understand... Wink

Anyway, from the last modern lions, the Mojö is the best, but with flaws indeed...
I said from the beginning that the shape of the head was not good on this model, a little bit to cornered, and he is missing the chin indeed, which is very typical for a lion or lioness... Rolling Eyes
And i think, that in a male lion, which is old enough to develope black or dark manes, the manes should be longer or at least bigger, as this comes together in older male lions.
The muzzle is another problem... Laughing

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?   Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mojo lion: the best lion figurine at the market?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next